Sponsored by:

Ramblings from Clash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 12:14 AM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Just made the pass into 3rd place in GTC3 this morning, went up through the esses, got about half way to the bus stop and my left rear tire exploded. Took out three corners of the car. Going home Got the video of the whole thing from the guy behind me. I'll post a link when I get home. It was pretty spectacular....

Met a bunch of Rennlisters who I hadn't met before: VR, Dr. Jupeman, 38D, Mark in Baltimore, Matt, etc, etc
Tire explosions are awful. Glad to hear that you're okay though...

+1 on your having a great attitude about getting back in time for your son's little league game.
Old 05-31-2009 | 12:15 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Times definitely seemed down for many people. In the second sprint, we had something like four or five race laps, IIRC, before the race ended (two cars off of the track, plus we had to go through a soaked bus stop where the track had to hose off coolant from two wrecked 944's).
Old 05-31-2009 | 12:31 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Just made the pass into 3rd place in GTC3 this morning, went up through the esses, got about half way to the bus stop and my left rear tire exploded. Took out three corners of the car. Going home Got the video of the whole thing from the guy behind me. I'll post a link when I get home. It was pretty spectacular....

Met a bunch of Rennlisters who I hadn't met before: VR, Dr. Jupeman, 38D, Mark in Baltimore, Matt, etc, etc
So sad to hear that, I'm sure you heard that that has happened before. Were you running the Michelin blues? They are not supposed to have that problem like the yellows I had. Did the exploding tire remove your bodywork like a giant weed whacker? Mine was really ugly, and I just brushed the wall with the rear end. Glad you are ok!!!! Glad I stayed home!
Old 05-31-2009 | 08:07 AM
Garylimey
Racer

I'm sad to say that I totalled my 968 in what seemed like too many wrecks yesterday.
I learnt as a rookie a huge lesson!!!
Once my tyre's are getting greasy back it down!!!!

I tracked out too hard in the outer loop for my tyres as it seemed to understeer towards the rumble strips. I backed off the gas and tried to turn into it but it was too late I went onto the rumble strips and into a spin that seemed like the tyres just completely let go.
The one change that I had made to car was raising the tyre prssure to 42 hot.
This was done after the warms up and at the advice of the Hoosier rep who the day before had said it would be better as I was wearing the outside edge of my tyres.

Lesson #2 learnt for me, I'm never again running my tyres over 40psi hot.

I will post pictures but will not post the video for my family's sake as it was a nasty crash. My wife and 5 kids do not need to see that on YouTube, I think close calls is one thing but once you add in a possible fatalily it's crossing the line.
Just my 2 cents, plus my wife would no way let me on track again if she saw the video

The crash ended with me hitting the tyre wall backwards and the car being flipped into the air higher than the tyre wall and landing on the drivers side roof. The cage as you will see compressed at the front allowing the roof to hit my helmet and cracking it. There was plenty of clearance before!!
If it was not for the added custom diagonal bar etc I would not be posting right now!!!
Lesson #3 I will never drive a race car with a bolt in cage again. My next cage will be totally custom and short NOTHING!!

The good news is that I broke the 944SuperCup track record earlier in the race.
I also had a great time racing with Steve Katz in that race who is an amazing driver!!!

My friends got a kick out of my 1st thought as the car came to rest.
" Well, I guess I'm selling my JCW GP now to get another race car"
My wifes right, I'm nut's!!!
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:03 AM
Chris L.
Pro

This place is both frustrating and fun at the same time!!! This is only my second time here and first in my older cup. Hope I have not held anyone up.

Finally have the car in the :06's and feel I can work it down to :04's today in the enduro but won't be enough to stay near the guys with the newer stuff and more talent!

Peter, I could not tell what happened. At first it looked like some small animal carcass laying on the track and I thought "is that an animal or a tire carcass?" Looks like you rode the inside wall for quite a while. Sorry to hear. As Mike said, I too have had a blowout in my car but luckily it was with David Murry coaching and he was driving at the time. Happened entering the esses at VIR (GLAD IT WAS NOT ME DRIVING!!!)

Anyway, I love this place. This is only my 3rd race weekend and amazing how the racecraft knowledge has really flourished this time around.

Anyway, hope to push those times down a few more seconds. I remember Larry Herman's admonishment to "not lift once leaving T1." Beginning at T2 that becomes an E Ticket ride all the way through the esses in this car!!!!
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:06 AM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Gary--

That sounds like a really terrifying crash. And while you have a wife and five kids who don't need to (and likely don't WANT to) see the crash, they also probably already know how much racing is in your blood. The good news is that you're safe--thank goodness for the safety features of these cars. The other good news is that it sounds like you've learned something from your adventure.

Have a safe trip home!!
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:16 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm sorry to hear this Peter, but very happy to hear that you were not injured. Exploding tires are never a good thing!
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Garylimey
I'm sad to say that I totalled my 968 in what seemed like too many wrecks yesterday.
I learnt as a rookie a huge lesson!!!
Once my tyre's are getting greasy back it down!!!!

I tracked out too hard in the outer loop for my tyres as it seemed to understeer towards the rumble strips. I backed off the gas and tried to turn into it but it was too late I went onto the rumble strips and into a spin that seemed like the tyres just completely let go.
The one change that I had made to car was raising the tyre prssure to 42 hot.
This was done after the warms up and at the advice of the Hoosier rep who the day before had said it would be better as I was wearing the outside edge of my tyres.

Lesson #2 learnt for me, I'm never again running my tyres over 40psi hot.

I will post pictures but will not post the video for my family's sake as it was a nasty crash. My wife and 5 kids do not need to see that on YouTube, I think close calls is one thing but once you add in a possible fatalily it's crossing the line.
Just my 2 cents, plus my wife would no way let me on track again if she saw the video

The crash ended with me hitting the tyre wall backwards and the car being flipped into the air higher than the tyre wall and landing on the drivers side roof. The cage as you will see compressed at the front allowing the roof to hit my helmet and cracking it. There was plenty of clearance before!!
If it was not for the added custom diagonal bar etc I would not be posting right now!!!
Lesson #3 I will never drive a race car with a bolt in cage again. My next cage will be totally custom and short NOTHING!!

The good news is that I broke the 944SuperCup track record earlier in the race.
I also had a great time racing with Steve Katz in that race who is an amazing driver!!!

My friends got a kick out of my 1st thought as the car came to rest.
" Well, I guess I'm selling my JCW GP now to get another race car"
My wifes right, I'm nut's!!!
Ugh! Sorry to hear of your horrible crash Gary. I've known that car for longer than I have known you. Sorry to see the car go, but good to hear that we still have you. Good idea about the wife and kids not seeing any video. Also a good idea to not let them see the car (Will can take care of that), as it will get their imaginations going and they will create their own "video" in their minds.
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:46 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by analogmike
So sad to hear that, I'm sure you heard that that has happened before. Were you running the Michelin blues? They are not supposed to have that problem like the yellows I had. Did the exploding tire remove your bodywork like a giant weed whacker?
Mike- More than one person told me about your incident.

I was running the yellows BUT they were the "banking" rear yellows that Michelin said to run. I had about 14 laps on them when it went. I'm not sure if it was a delamination problem or if I picked something up on the track. I didn't feel anything from turn 1 all the way through the crest after the esses. About half way to the bus stop I felt a vibration, thought I might be losing a tire and boom. Couldn't have happened at a worse spot speed wise. Data said 155mph.

I'll post the video as soon as I get home and have some software to separate out that portion of the video and upload it. NASTY....
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:50 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Peter, good to meet you. Will look you up when I bring Hummer and the miata boys down South to race.
Mitch-

Good to meet you too. Let me know if you need a co-driver! Hummer will vouch for me
Old 05-31-2009 | 01:25 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hey Gary, Glad you are here to post your response! - First good thing

Glad to hear that you are already thinking about your next move and it involves a replacement - Second good thing
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:09 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No, just stating the obvious.
Point taken. From the sheets, it looks like you had some good runs. Me on the other hand, I do suck at the glen and would have been in the bottom 1/3rd... Just need a lot more seat time at the track.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:19 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Gary,

Sooooo sorry to hear of your crash. Glad to hear your're okay and walked away unscathed.

Good idea to go with the welded cage.

It's the precious seconds we all search for that can be costly if everything is not perfect.

Joe
Old 05-31-2009 | 06:35 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Gary,

Good to know you're ok. If you need any help getting back to the track, just let me know. Being safe is the most impt factor......
Old 05-31-2009 | 10:19 PM
Mike S.
Pro

I watched Saturdays sprint. I do not have results sheets, but do know this. FredC won both sprint races in D. The guy is quite the talent IMO. On lap 1 of Sprint 1, he spun. I'll bet he lost 15 positions from being #2 into the 1st turn. Perhaps he lost 20 seconds. Sean Foster took the D lead. FredC begins is assault and starts picking off people every lap. Guess who passes Sean on the last lap....FredC.
Gary R. looked real nice out there too and had some good battles. The weather was really nice...sunny and mid 60's perhaps.

Other random items...

One cup car (former Flying Lizard car) drivers spouse said many pro guys grabbed rides in preparation for a race at the Glen in several weeks.
Chris Musante was tops in his race group and class. Both sprints.
I saw Garylimey's car...anytime sod is hanging out of both 968 headlight openings is not good. The (Safety Devices) cage certainly helped...but it was clear that a custom (closer fitting, gusseted, and corner braced) cage is the clear way to go. Time to visit RedlineMan!

Mike

Quick Reply: Ramblings from Clash at the Glen