Sponsored by:

Ramblings from Clash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:52 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
My first code brown moment in a PCA race. It figures it happens in the same race that I need to finish clean to get the rookie X off my car. Coming around the Toe of the boot a 944 hits the wall and proceeds to bounce to mid track Thank goodness for my Schumacher-like reflexes ( wife still trying to clean the seat of my driving suit as we speak )

http://vimeo.com/4955203
Scott, please do not take what I am about to say as me being a jerk, but given the number of spun cars hit this weekend I am compelled to say....

Imo from that video, you showed anti-Schumacher reflexes. You had a LOT of time to slow down and not make that as close as it was. You were clearly racing closely and do not appear to back out or slow down at all for that spinning car. You came very close to t-boning that guy in the driver's door. That could easily have killed him. I watch that video and I'm shocked you're accelerating up the hill late in the video when it is clearly obvious you see should see him.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to look further ahead.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Scott, please do not take what I am about to say as me being a jerk, but given the number of spun cars hit this weekend I am compelled to say....

Imo from that video, you showed anti-Schumacher reflexes. You had a LOT of time to slow down and not make that as close as it was. You were clearly racing closely and do not appear to back out or slow down at all for that spinning car. You came very close to t-boning that guy in the driver's door. That could easily have killed him.
Hmmm. 1) The winkie smiley that Scott used seems to indicate that his reference to Schumacher was tongue-in-cheek; 2) Scott did not hit the spinning car; 3) although he did not appear to slow down, he did use his steering wheel to avoid contact; 4) if he had slowed down, perhaps he would have hit the 944.

It's easy to bench race after the game, but the bottom line is that Scott avoided trouble that clearly came in his path.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Hmmm. 1) The winkie smiley that Scott used seems to indicate that his reference to Schumacher was tongue-in-cheek; 2) Scott did not hit the spinning car; 3) although he did not appear to slow down, he did use his steering wheel to avoid contact; 4) if he had slowed down, perhaps he would have hit the 944.

It's easy to bench race after the game, but the bottom line is that Scott avoided trouble that clearly came in his path.
The fact that he avoided the trouble does not mean that he chose correctly. It just means that he got EXTREMELY lucky. Speeding up to a car that is almost surely going to bounce off the wall to an unpredictable trajectory is just stupid. If you were the guy who hit the wall and looked downtrack to the traffic coming out of the boot, I can bet that you would like to see that traffic slowing down rather than speeding up.

The only excuse for this in my mind is that he didn't see the car hit the wall. If he did, he had plenty of time to come to a complete stop with 0% chance of hitting that car.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Imo from that video, you showed anti-Schumacher reflexes. You had a LOT of time to slow down and not make that as close as it was. You were clearly racing closely and do not appear to back out or slow down at all for that spinning car. You came very close to t-boning that guy in the driver's door. That could easily have killed him. I watch that video and I'm shocked you're accelerating up the hill late in the video when it is clearly obvious you see should see him.
Being a rookie I appreciate any and all constructive criticism from experienced racers. I can tell you for sure it certainly happened much faster than it appeared on video. As you can also see I had a car on my inside that I was trying to keep an eye on as I rounded the toe and I remember looking in my side view to make sure I wasn't cutting him off. I did not see him hit the wall and my first thought was that he had spun and was stationary. It really happened so quickly it seemed like a blurr at the time.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
The fact that he avoided the trouble does not mean that he chose correctly. It just means that he got EXTREMELY lucky. Speeding up to a car that is almost surely going to bounce off the wall to an unpredictable trajectory is just stupid. If you were the guy who hit the wall and looked downtrack to the traffic coming out of the boot, I can bet that you would like to see that traffic slowing down rather than speeding up.

The only excuse for this in my mind is that he didn't see the car hit the wall. If he did, he had plenty of time to come to a complete stop with 0% chance of hitting that car.
Okay, how about it's really easy to Monday evening quarterback? Could he have backed out of the throttle? Yes, perhaps. Would that have resulted in the white 911 or red 944 hitting him? Yes, perhaps. Would they have not hit him if he had backed out of the throttle? Yes, perhaps. The only thing that we know definitively is that Scott's actions did not result in any contact. A good part of this sport is luck, not to say that Scott doesn't have some good food for thought However, his post was not hey-look-how awesome-I-am but more of a wow-that-was-a-close-call.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say, and mind you I do not have the experience that Jupe and Brian have, that as a rookie you are trying to figure out who has a turn and when to either take it or back off. it's questionable but i always back off when it looks hairy. I don't want the 13 13 or an incident. OK so back to Scott. IMHO he probably was happy to get through the toe in one piece and was aiming ahead. The spin happened and he just wanted to get past it. Yes it was not the best choice and yes he could have done many other things. However you don't learn this stuff in a book and now he may have some insight for next time. I am with mark here but am not disagreeing with Charlie or Brian.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Being a rookie I appreciate any and all constructive criticism from experienced racers. I can tell you for sure it certainly happened much faster than it appeared on video. As you can also see I had a car on my inside that I was trying to keep an eye on as I rounded the toe and I remember looking in my side view to make sure I wasn't cutting him off. I did not see him hit the wall and my first thought was that he had spun and was stationary. It really happened so quickly it seemed like a blurr at the time.
At 19 seconds into the video, it appears that you have the apex (it looks like there is a little less than half a car width between you and the curbing). As soon as you realize that the other car can't fit there and you aren't going through the corner side by side, you need to look far ahead up track so that you are better prepared for this stuff.

At 20 seconds into the video (this is very clear if you download the full resolution copy of the video), it's obvious that this car is in trouble as it has at least a 20 degree slip angle.

At 21 seconds, the car has spun and is about to hit the wall.

The question is when did you actually see him? The sooner you saw him, the better choices you had available to you and the more likely it was that you could avoid contact. The later you saw him, the more likely it was that you were just a participant and physics took its course.

Also, the toe of the boot eats up lots of cars. I'm always trying to look around that corner as soon as I can so that I know if I have to take evasive action. NEVER rely on the flagger being the one to warn you - sometimes you'll be the first car there.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

One other thing... You don't pass the car until 24 seconds into the video. So, even with accelerating, you had 4 seconds of time to plan and react if you realized that the car was going to spin at the 20 second mark.

If your plan was to back out of it (rather than accelerate) I'm willing to guess that you may have been able to stretch that to about 6 or 7 seconds.

Again, it's all a matter of when you actually saw the car. If you didn't realize that you would need to take evasive action until it bounced off the wall and started coming back on track (which was at the 23 second mark), then you probably did the right thing by staying full throttle.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:46 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mmporsche
Hey Fred, nice racing with you at the beginning of the enduro. I wish they would not have split D and E as I think we could have had some fun in the sprints.

My motor was shifted over after my "brake fluid" incident on Friday and I missed my shift going down into the boot when you were on my tail in the enduro. Talk about a roller coaster weekend - wrecked car on Friday, two wins in class on Saturday and then zing the motor on Sunday.

BTW, Bill Petty who was air-lifted to PA after hitting the wall appears to be doing well. He came back to the track around 11 a.m. Sunday and we had lunch in town and he hit the road back to Colorado.
Looks like you were on a tear Mike...shame that they split D and E too. Glad to hear that Bill is ok.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Wrong! Ask me how I know!
Charlie, did I hurt your chances for a win.

Sorry, I spun on exit of turn 8 trying to hold off an H and J car.

Charlie
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The enduro was the bomb. The highlight of my weekend was passing my retired mechanic and Summit point Porsche driver legend Dave Coleman. ( Ok he's like a 100 years old, hasn't raced in umpteen years, and was driving someone else's car ) There was so much carnage in the sprint races that the enduro was a welcome change. Maybe there is a different attitude with the drivers ?
Hey, watch it! I know Dave and we are contemporaries from back in the day when he was amassing a string of National Championships. When he drove his '65 ex-rally 911 to my house back in '05, we both agreed that we remain quite young...with a few years left before hitting 100!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Hey, watch it! I know Dave and we are contemporaries from back in the day when he was amassing a string of National Championships. When he drove his '65 ex-rally 911 to my house back in '05, we both agreed that we remain quite young...with a few years left before hitting 100!
See, I knew you were older than me. I knew it, I knew it, and now you admitted it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
See, I knew you were older than me. I knew it, I knew it, and now you admitted it.
I may have "a few years left before hitting 100", but it is definitely a few more than YOU! I'm told they are already planning your centennial party.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Wow, tough room here. As a fellow rookie we are always trying to learn and with more race experience Scott may have done something differently. Armchair quarterbacking a video is far different from being in the car and have the perspective beyond the camera lens.

Having said that, as rookies we get loads of new information almost hourly in a race weekend and after as it's discussed on the interwebs. Much of the info we absorb is contradictory. A case in point is the Nasa enduro that I'm posting a link to. I did exactly as suggested above as a car spun in front of me. I came to a near halt. As a result I lost several positions and the universal reaction was that I should have taken advantage and kept my foot in it. The opposite of what's being advised in Scott's video. Every one said "nice safe reaction but it cost you." Safe is always good, I'm not arguing that. In time our little rookie brains will be able to evaluate "safe vs opportunity" I suppose. But on the heels of the spin at the Nasa race where the "take advantage" attitude is strong I completely understand Scott staying on the gas and steering out of harms way rather than stopping with a field of cars behind him ready to stack up on his whale tail.

We'll get better at this race thing.

goto the 3:30 mark:

http://www.vimeo.com/4364668

Quick Reply: Ramblings from Clash at the Glen