Sponsored by:

Ramblings from Clash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Frank,

Your car looks great in the new photo. Too bad the front fender and wheel are blocked.....
Old 06-01-2009, 03:22 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great weekend, I am amazed at the weather holding out for all the races. It looked like bad rain quite a bit but every race was dry. I loved watching the green group run, I wish I could of seen more than the first half you guys fought like hell. Fred believes the track surface is everything but the blue stuff, man you were fun to watch run.

I had a good time running it is such a shame we had alot of shortened stuff in blue. For the record I hate double yellows.

I was also happy that the scruts were out in force, alot of people had thier cars reclassed after they had stuff they didnt know belonged
Old 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Man you got hosed by the double yellow. You had a commanding lead before it. Too bad!

Originally Posted by NJcroc
What a great weekend, I am amazed at the weather holding out for all the races. It looked like bad rain quite a bit but every race was dry. I loved watching the green group run, I wish I could of seen more than the first half you guys fought like hell. Fred believes the track surface is everything but the blue stuff, man you were fun to watch run.

I had a good time running it is such a shame we had alot of shortened stuff in blue. For the record I hate double yellows.

I was also happy that the scruts were out in force, alot of people had thier cars reclassed after they had stuff they didnt know belonged
Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

In the green group a 944 got nudged into the wall coming out of the toe. The flaggers were on it and they went full course yellow. A 911 then hit the stationary 944!
FWIW, it was only a local yellow in the toe. I was waiting for a full course but they never threw it. We went into the laces full bore and I backed out knowing there was no way that the 944 had been cleared since the prior lap. I let a few cars by before the toe because I wasn't going to race into the toe and become part of the carnage. Apparently others didn't take the same approach.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
FWIW, it was only a local yellow in the toe. I was waiting for a full course but they never threw it. We went into the laces full bore and I backed out knowing there was no way that the 944 had been cleared since the prior lap. I let a few cars by before the toe because I wasn't going to race into the toe and become part of the carnage. Apparently others didn't take the same approach.
Yeah, you're 100% right. It was local only, and I arrived in a big pack, all racing hard. But the yellows were definitely waving.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp

On my first lap by, the flagger was waving vigorously and pointing everyone to the inside. By my second lap by, we were full course yellow.

I agree with you, racing to the yellow is fine for NASCAR, but not PCA.

By the way, I talked to the owner of the 944. He and PCA are still looking for the guy who nudged him to start this whole mess. If anyone has any video or knowledge contact PCA.

Last edited by Racerrob; 06-01-2009 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-01-2009, 05:01 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Frank,

Your car looks great in the new photo. Too bad the front fender and wheel are blocked.....
Thanks, the Clear Fusion /Marotta Dental Studio/Tomas/Mastery/Biomet 3i/Astra/Invisalign Porsche presented by Engineered Devices Corp ran flawlessly all weekend!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I had my best weekend at Watkins Glen. As many of you may remember, I did my first club race at the Glen four years ago, a track I had never been to. This was my third race there and I was really hoping to improve on my near DFL or mid-pack finishing. Speed at the track had always been elusive to me as I was bog slow my first year and a tiny bit faster two years ago but saddled with a broken rear away bar mount.

Especially in the enduro, the racing was nuts and nose-to-tail with very few people giving an inch (some of you were very good at taking away a few feet). I had some great racing with a silver and blue H 996, a red 911 I car, Brian Paulsen and John Haas, who came out of nowhere in the enduro (I thought he was an H car) and battled me for first place. John turned a smokin' 2:12.3, and it showed. We passed each other back and forth a number of times. John and I were sharing the same pit stall, and he was supposed to come in first. Neither of us wanted to quit racing each other.

My goal this weekend was to get close to the podium and try and get to the Rennpoints prediction of 2:14.X. For me to even touch the podium at the Glen was unbelievable, let alone to turn a 2:12.9, a time that I am really happy with. The car is capable of 2:10's (maybe 2:09's?), but I'm happy to have dropped 3.5 seconds off of my best time at a track that I have always been terribly slow.

I got really lucky with the win in the second sprint since Alain Goulet's super-fast 944 turbo cup broke in the second second race. In the first race, I lost first place after Alain passed me out of turn 1 like I was standing still. I managed to stay close to him and sniff around for a pass or two but couldn't make anything stick. I was really sorry to see DanR wreck his 944 turbo G car, as he was giving me some good competition in the first sprint.

Thanks to Streak aka Hunt McMahon and good hands aka Scott Bresnahan, I pulled off an almost perfect refueling pit stop which helped me win in G class. At least for this year, it was probably the only way I was going to beat some of the better drivers in E and F, too.

Thanks to Pete Tremper and all of the volunteers for their hard work. The food this year was exceptionally good.

I'll be back at next year's Crash of the Glen looking for 2:11's.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
He made one pass on the outside of 1 through the grass 4 wheels off in the enduro yesterday that was insane.
Ah yes...FredC in turn 1. In the 1st sprint race, nobody seemed to venture into the trackout territory he did! Just the lawnmowers, sweepers, and NASCAR guys typically go there. In the 2nd sprint race, we watched him do the same in the bus stop trying to reel in the very well driven GT5 914-6 (2.4L, 2000 lbs w/driver). We saw dust come up on the turn in...I guess one way to stay off the turtles its to just straddle them! On a handful of times, he'd compress the 914-6's 2-3 car leads going into the bus stop into about a car length on the way out.

Great job everybody...you were all fun to watch!

Last edited by Mike S.; 12-28-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, the $64,000 dollar question: Who's glad there was an enduro instead of 4 sprints?? Did you all vote at the driver's meeting for next year's format??
Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The enduro was the bomb. The highlight of my weekend was passing my retired mechanic and Summit point Porsche driver legend Dave Coleman. ( Ok he's like a 100 years old, hasn't raced in umpteen years, and was driving someone else's car ) There was so much carnage in the sprint races that the enduro was a welcome change. Maybe there is a different attitude with the drivers ?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Especially in the enduro, the racing was nuts and nose-to-tail with very few people giving an inch (some of you were very good at taking away a few feet). I had some great racing with a silver and blue H 996, a red 911 I car, Brian Paulsen and John Haas, who came out of nowhere in the enduro (I thought he was an H car) and battled me for first place. John turned a smokin' 2:12.3, and it showed.
Nice work Mark!!! Sorry to have held you up going into the bus stop as I didn't realize that you were chasing down somebody in G.

Next year, I'll hopefully not have some GTC2 cars holding me up and I'll get down to that 2:12 area with you. I'll probably be following you when that happens though
Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw in mylaps the following for the Glen White Enduro :

987 C ZUGEL / E LUX 38 Fast Lap 1:51.622 In lap #33 mph 108.688

That is the fastest PCA lap by quite a bit I have ever seen at the Glen - what kind of car they were driving?

Amazing time & there were several running 1:53 & 1:54 which is verrry fast too!

Norm
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Your 2:05.4 isn't too shabby either, Charlie.

I think I can run sub 2:05 if I stop running the bus stop DE-style. I've broken my "bad habits" learned in years of DE in pretty much every WG turn except that one. (btw, I will check my video, but at least two of my 2:05s, including the best of my two 2:05.4s, I had a slight bauble in Turn 1. That was a few tenths right there, I think. Next year...)

As for Andy pit-pocketing one from me in the enduro, it couldn't have been a nicer guy getting lucky. He had the worst luck at Summit last year and has had a fairly long road getting the replacement car ready. A few teething pains later and his car is obviously running strong and reliably. I was pretty happy to only finish 30 seconds behind him (and 2nd overall) despite his pit strategy. Now if I can just convince him to re-sign up for VIR in a month...!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

2008 997 rsr

Quick Reply: Ramblings from Clash at the Glen