Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pagid orange vs PFC 97.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Im going out in a couple of weeks to our first race at Sears. Ive changed from the pagid orange, to the pagid blacks (RS-14). I was on the fence when we were discussing this a couple of months ago. Was your comparison with the oranges vs PFC-01s or Blacks?

You sound pretty bullish on the PFC-01/06s and will give them a shot next.

mk

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
It is long but here is my review on the PFC 01s compared to Pagids on my GT3

For those that don't want to read the long post here is my summary:
Overall Impression: The PFC 01s are a superior pad for track driving. They are the same lap after lap, I never had a fading problem with them, they were easy on the rotors, they are relatively the same price as the Pagids, and were amazing from the first application of the brakes. The install went super easy compared to the Pagids (the Pagids were thicker and required more messaging to install). As the weekend went on I really became more and more impressed with the braking capability of the pads along with the ease of control with the pedal. At all times I could feel exactly how much baking capability the car had and I could keep it on the limit a lot easier than before. In my opinon these pads are the best for the car and I will be using them on my car from now on.

As most of you know there was a discussion last week about the use of Pagid brake pads on track and why most people use those. My Pagid RS-19 were shot after 6 DE events and I needed new pads. I ventured out of the Pagid realm after using them for the first set of track pads on my GT3 and ordered up a set of Performance Friction PFC-01 pads for a DE event at Road Atlanta.

Before track and install impression: The pads are super easy to install. I did 4 pads and two rotors in all of 1 hour. The difference in looks between the PFC pads and Pagids are the clean manufacturing look of the PFCs and the thickness. The Pagids appear to be a slight bit thicker overall. Overall I would give the PFC the edge here with the initial impression. They come packaged in a box that is padded and will travel well with moving the pads from track to track. Their initial look is one of exacting standards with a very clean appearance of a manufacturer that produces their products to the best standards of the racing industry. Did I also mention they come pre-bedded so there is no need to bed them in on the street like other pads.

Track Impressions (the most important): Wow! I really like these pads. My first thought upon the first application of the brakes when coming into T10A at Road Atlanta at 155MPH braking inside the 175ft mark is awesome! I love this stuff. The initial application of the brakes really bites hard but not hard enough to get into the ABS (which I try not to do under braking for reasons I can explain later). As I get deeper into the brake zone the pads are still biting but even more as they get hotter. I then start to modulate the pedal to keep from locking them up and trailbrake into the turn. All the way through the brake zone and turn in I could feel exactly where the brakes were and about how much I would need to get the exact amount of braking done I needed. Trailbraking I never got any lockup and I never had a problem with one end or the other biting more or not enough. You could really feel both ends of the car (brakes) working together all the time. One was not overpowering the other. The advantages of the PFCs over the Pagid were the initial bite being aggressive but smoother than the Pagids, through the brake zone the bite increased but not enough to trigger ABS, and the ability to feel the pedal effort needed to trailbrake into the turn.

The next spot to really try them out was in Turn 1 at Road Atlanta. This is a high speed right hander up a hill. It is not a super hard brake zone but it is very important to be able to get the car pointed correctly without upsetting the suspension or angle of attack. Trailbraking is reall important here. My first venture into turn 1 was amazing and it stayed the same the whole day. A nice abrupt hit of the brakes initially had lots of bit but not too aggressive. The rest of the brake zone was nice easy modulation followed by lots of trailbraking. The whole car was working together the whole time and I could really feel how much I needed to trailbrake into the turn. The rear had the same bite as the front and it was never at any point too grabby or caused any concern. The attitude of the whole car stayed poised with a sligth drift through the braking and first half of the turn until I released the brakes. The release was also a lot more controlled here. There were no sudden movements or jerks on the brakes or suspension from the brakes. The Pagids were different here in that I really had to watch how I trailed into the turn. Their initial bite caused too much nose dive and the release of the brakes was a lot more noticed. The PFCs won out here over the Pagids by a long shot in my opinion due to their ease of use, consisitent braking, and predictibility of their release under lots of trailbraking. This opinion was also shared by another driver that weekend who drove my GT3 and his first comment was about the brakes in Turn 1 trailbraking in.

Overall Impression: The PFC 01s are a superior pad for track driving. They are the same lap after lap, I never had a fading problem with them, they were easy on the rotors, they are relatively the same price as the Pagids, and were amazing from the first application of the brakes. The install went super easy compared to the Pagids (the Pagids were thicker and required more messaging to install). As the weekend went on I really became more and more impressed with the braking capability of the pads along with the ease of control with the pedal. At all times I could feel exactly how much baking capability the car had and I could keep it on the limit a lot easier than before. In my opinon these pads are the best for the car and I will be using them on my car from now on.

I hope this does help to add some more info to the brake pad discussion. Any questions just ask away.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Seth, You mention that your pad comparison was PFC-01 vs Pagid RS-19? The two pads are not targeted for the same environment are they? I had always thought that the PFC-01 was a sprint type pad and I know the Pagid RS-19 / 29 are the endurance pad. There is a large difference between them and the Pagid RS-14 which I think would be a better comparison to the PFC-01. Did I skim through your writeup too quickly?
I would say they are very similar pads but the main difference is the thickness of the Pagid making it an endurance pad. From what I know the RS19 is still a pad that has all the features of their "sprint" RS29 pad. The main difference in those two pads is the higher initial torque rating of the RS29. This makes the PFC 01 and the Pagid RS19 to be similar pads.

One very important area to note with the Pagid pads is their high initial bite characteristic. A lot of guys like this because it pops their eyeballs out of their sockets on the initial brake application. This can be good and bad but I feel it is not the best way to approach a brake zone because the brakes then become an on/off switch. The Pagids then get softer in the brake zone as you get some real heat in them. Their performance also suffers the more heat cycles you put them through. My experience with the GT3 and some BMWs I have ran with Pagids is they don't perform the same past the halfway mark.

The PFC 01s are very similar with one exception to the Pagids, they build up into the high torque characteristic. The PFC pads will allow you to pound the brake pedal, as you should, without causing immediate lock up or ABS pulses. They adjust to the heat coming on like a freight train. Once in the brakes they are very easy to modulate because they are not on/off switches like the Pagids. You then get a better release with the PFC pads. This makes them, in my opinion, easy to drive on because they areso easy to feel what the brakes on your car are actually doing.

In summary the Pagids are very similar in pad type to the PFCs. The main difference in any PFC compound (97, 01, 06) and the Pagid pads is their wear characteristics and most importantly the PFC lack of being an on/off switch.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Seth, I think you may want to check your Pagid information. The Pagid RS19 is the endurance pad with the RS29 just the latest and greatest and very little difference between the two. The RS14 is their sprint pad and there is a very, very large difference in bite, both initial and overall between the RS19/29 pads, and the RS14. I believe your comparison is of a Performance Friction sprint pad PFC01 vs a Pagid endurance pad RS19/29.

Here is a link to their descriptions of the pad compound characteristics ---> http://www.braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

You can also see the friction graph here http://www.braketechnology.com/techi...#frictiongraph which shows the RS14 pad significatly more agressive than the RS-19/29 pads.

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I've used all three and know the difference, at least on my car. My experience matches the friction graph in the above link.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Im going out in a couple of weeks to our first race at Sears. Ive changed from the pagid orange, to the pagid blacks (RS-14). I was on the fence when we were discussing this a couple of months ago. Was your comparison with the oranges vs PFC-01s or Blacks?

You sound pretty bullish on the PFC-01/06s and will give them a shot next.

mk
The RS19s are yellows on the website and that is what I was using. I didn't use the RS29s on my car then because of the high initial bite they have and I am glad I didn't. I don't think I would have liked that. The Pagids, in my opinion, are a decent pad. I wouldn't say there is anything with using them. I don't feel they are best pad out there on the market right now.

In the last few years I have raced just about every pad combination out there. I have used Hawks, Cobalts, Pagids, PFCs. Everytime I have tried a new pad I always liked the PFCs the best. Am I biased towards them? Yes I am but I have also backed up why I am biased in my descriptions of the pads on here. And of all these the PFCs are the ones that perform flawlessly lap after lap.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Seth, I think you may want to check your Pagid information. The Pagid RS19 is the endurance pad with the RS29 just the latest and greatest and very little difference between the two. The RS14 is their sprint pad and there is a very, very large difference in bite, both initial and overall between the RS19/29 pads, and the RS14. I believe your comparison is of a Performance Friction sprint pad PFC01 vs a Pagid endurance pad RS19/29
Nope I did check my information straight from Pagid's website.

Same link you referenced.

The RS 14 is a medium high friction pad. The RS19 is the same as the RS14 with a slight reduction in friction for better pad wear. RS29 is the RS19 with a high coefficient of friction. To me all of this sounds like they are very similar in pad material and coefficient of friction.

Regardless, in my comparison one of the real differences of the PFC pads and the Pagids pads is the initial bite and the release characteristics. The PFCs are smoother in both and they offer better performance in the brake zone. So if what you are saying is true and the RS14 is a better pad then the initial bite and release characteristics will be worse with the RS14. ( Pagid says the RS14 has a high initial bite).

Your thoughts are welcomed in this discussion as this will help everyone have more info than they did before.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so 06 vs 01's then?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by va122
so 06 vs 01's then?
PFC 06s as of right now. Simple summary, similar to 01s but have more bite and last longer. Although the 01s I took off had about 400 track miles with about half the pad left
Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not saying that the Pagids are better than PFCs because lets face it, much of it is driver preference, although there are some characteristic differences that are clearly factually based.

Yea, I read the differences about the three pads but can tell you from experience, when you step on an RS19 or 29, it feels like nothing is happening whereas an RS14 really grabs hard (all things relevant). Look at the friction graph which supports what I have experienced. It would have been interesting to see the difference between the PFC01 and the RS14 on your car.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Nope I did check my information straight from Pagid's website.

Same link you referenced.

The RS 14 is a medium high friction pad. The RS19 is the same as the RS14 with a slight reduction in friction for better pad wear. RS29 is the RS19 with a high coefficient of friction. To me all of this sounds like they are very similar in pad material and coefficient of friction.

Regardless, in my comparison one of the real differences of the PFC pads and the Pagids pads is the initial bite and the release characteristics. The PFCs are smoother in both and they offer better performance in the brake zone. So if what you are saying is true and the RS14 is a better pad then the initial bite and release characteristics will be worse with the RS14. ( Pagid says the RS14 has a high initial bite).

Your thoughts are welcomed in this discussion as this will help everyone have more info than they did before.
http://www.bimmerworldracing.com/sponsors.php
Seth, I see PFC on this list but not Pagid.
So one could argue that you may be biased a wee bit.

FWIW the Pagid Black RS14 is a very good compound. I think you would like them compared to the RS19. I race a 1979 911SC with 993 TT front brakes and 964 Turbo rear brakes. No ABS. I find that the RS14 has nice feel and is easy to modulate even in the rain.

You state thate the Pagids lose bite as they heat up in the brake zone.( I have never felt this about the RS14)
I have never thought about it this way, but maybe that is one of the reasons why 911 drivers like them. I think because of the rear engine layout of the 911 (less weight over the front axle) you have bleed brake pressure as you slow for the corner--more than a front engine car. Maybe the two work well together.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not saying that the Pagids are better than PFCs because lets face it, much of it is driver preference, although there are some characteristic differences that are clearly factually based.

Yea, I read the differences about the three pads but can tell you from experience, when you step on an RS19 or 29, it feels like nothing is happening whereas an RS14 really grabs hard (all things relevant). Look at the friction graph which supports what I have experienced. It would have been interesting to see the difference between the PFC01 and the RS14 on your car.
+1

I tried the RS19 and the RS29's once, and that was enough to move me back to the RS14. There is a night and day difference between those compounds.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian P
I tried the RS19 and the RS29's once, and that was enough to move me back to the RS14. There is a night and day difference between those compounds.
It's all about the driver and the way that they want the brakes to feel. I tried the RS-14s once and went back to the RS-19 Yellows.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Wow, I thought I was the only one that like the blacks. Pagid RS14's are the shiznit. I really didn't like the yellows at all for all the hype and extra price for them.

I'll be trying the PFC's too though.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi Seth, I drive a Porsche 997S at Sebring for DE's. I have been using either Pagid RS29 Yellows or Performance Friction PF97's. I will go with your professional feel of a car over my amatuer DE experiance but I always felt that the PF97's gave better intial bite that the RS29 Yellows. However this could be that I never got the Pagid Yellows bedded in properly on the street before I got to the track...hard to do on the street and reach highly illegal speeds...not my normal driving on the street.

I tend to like the 97's better because of the way the bite and fell plus they install when new easy, there is no bed in and they seem to stop a little bit better.

Anyway, I just got a new 09 Carrera S with PDK. I need to buy some new track wheels/tires and pads for it. I was wanting to get your advice on the PCF97 vs 01 for my car.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flatsics
http://www.bimmerworldracing.com/sponsors.php
Seth, I see PFC on this list but not Pagid.
So one could argue that you may be biased a wee bit.

FWIW the Pagid Black RS14 is a very good compound. I think you would like them compared to the RS19. I race a 1979 911SC with 993 TT front brakes and 964 Turbo rear brakes. No ABS. I find that the RS14 has nice feel and is easy to modulate even in the rain.

You state thate the Pagids lose bite as they heat up in the brake zone.( I have never felt this about the RS14)
I have never thought about it this way, but maybe that is one of the reasons why 911 drivers like them. I think because of the rear engine layout of the 911 (less weight over the front axle) you have bleed brake pressure as you slow for the corner--more than a front engine car. Maybe the two work well together.
LOL, something told me this would come up. Ask anybody that knows me and they will tell you I only speak what I feel is true. If I don't like a product, even if they sponsor me or not, I will state the facts about the product or keep my mouth shut. Obviously my mouth isn't shut so I do like the PFCs better than any Pagid I have used.

I have used the RS14s before just not on a 911 and I still didn't care for them for the reasons I have stated in this thread. Like someone else has mentioned a lot of what people feel in braking is driver preference. On my GT3 I have only used the RS19s, PFC01s and PFC06s. I wouldn't mind trying the RS14s to get some data on it but I just bought a set of PFC06s for the car. If anyone local has a set I can borrow for a session or two I would love to give them a try. I will then write a review on how those pads compare to all the above.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Lots of good information here as well as varied opinions; all of which are useful.

Brake pad choices are largely about personal preferences based on driving techniques, skill levels and different platforms.

Quick Reply: Pagid orange vs PFC 97.......