Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Weston
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel-to-wheel racing is insanely fun. You might also want to put some thought into what type of club racing you want to do... there's 13/13 racing, and there's non-13/13 racing. On one end of the spectrum, you have mostly clean racing with somewhat restricted competition, and on the other you have really close competitive racing where a small amount of incidental contact is generally acceptable.

I race 944-Spec with NASA because I want close competition and I'm willing to risk a few dings as we go 3 cars wide into a turn at 100+ mph. But if I raced a nice 911 or I didn't turn my own wrenches, I'd want to limit my risk a little more and would probably consider a 13/13 organization or class. PCA is a very strict 13/13 organization, SCCA generally accepts minor contact as a result of close racing (within reason), and NASA tries to accommodate both types (several classes are a modified-13/13, but others aren't). We've had drivers come from PCA who weren't comfortable with the close racing and potential for incidental contact in 944-Spec, so they've opted to drive in GTS this year (a modified-13/13 series for Euro cars). Both options have their own set of pro's and con's... You just have to decide what's right for you.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

+1 on the 944 spec, particularly if you're just starting out...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
how did you go about deciding on what class to race in?

i would also like to add that i have very little mechanical skills and i live in a high rise in new york city, hence no garage to keep the car in and tinker with things. most likely i would keep the car at Rick DeMan's.
I literally spent a year watching races and following results to see where the larger fields were and the better competition. In the end I decided to take a very long, drawn out rational approach to the decision. First, I took the advice of the many racers here and decided on a class rather than a car first.

Once I settled on a few classes (E, G, H, GTB, and GTC3) I then started to weigh the factors that could eliminate a few. GTC3 immediately was thrown out because I really didn't want to spend the money it would take to get the car and then run it. I knew I would be very competitive in the Cup but just didn't want to be car poor. I then threw out GTB because the fields are pathetically small (usually just 2 or 3 cars).

So my decision came down to E, G, and H. I thought about building a H car but the fields weren't as large and I could always go to H prepared with a G car in the future. Decision between E and G (last two left standing) was actually quite easy. While both classes were well represented even at the low attendance events, I drove cars in both and absolutely loved the RSA. Instead of building one, I found a consistent podium car that was already well sorted and ready to go. I have since invested about 10K into the car myself to really get to the way I like it and see myself running it for some time to come.

I will probably move to GTC3 in the next couple years but right now, this is just much smarter for me. The consumables make it a very easy decision.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The last thing I would do is build a car in the current state of things. There are lots of smokin deals on used racecars popping up. It's taken every little bit of self control not to buy a couple of the deals that have popped up recently. 2 racecars in the garage just isn't sitting well with the majority shareholder.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

keep the GT3 and buy a $5,000 944 built car that you can race in a whole bunch of series - NASA, PCA, SCCA
Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Great advice Sean, I was going to say the same thing. It would stink to sell the GT3 only to realize he hated actual wheel to wheel racing. I know the risk of it is low, but you never know.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm with Sean and Mark. More racing, TONS cheaper, and more fairly equal cars to run with (unlike D with Sean and his Cool Suit cooler/hidden Nitrous bottle).
Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

none of you are making this any easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's the problem with the rationale of keeping the GT3 and getting a 944 (or any other car). I did the same thing. Guess what happens to the GT3 on track days? It stays at home. If you really know you want to race then there is only the slimmest of chances you won't enjoy it and you can always buy another GT3 (I know I will one day). If you enjoy racing you are going to spend every minute on track (DE's, etc) trying to prefect your craft in the RACE car. It made no sense to me to race the RSA and then DE the GT3. Just my $.02
Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree why spend 40 or 50K to find out it isn't your thing, also buy someone elses car it' cheaper. Getting a boxster or a 944 is a cheaper way to have fun. Running a cup car where everything is expensive, not only that I wouldn't do a rookie race in a cup unless my name was Leh Keen. Big question is how many races a year do you plan to do. Rick might even have a rental car you do your first race in.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

if i did 3 or 4 races a year that would probably be the max, or at least for this year just looking at the schedule of races. i still plan on doing DE's but i think i will stick mostly to the open track/advanced days.

I agree with Dell that if i kept the GT3 and bought a race car then it would probably never be driven at all let alone at DE's.

then again if i win mega millions all this will be moot!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
do none of the above and just do DE's for another year
Bingo.

I'd recommend this option based on my guess that you haven't really given the subject enough thought yet. The span of options you are considering needs to be narrowed a lot. Asking questions on Rennlist isn't a bad way to start ... but I think you'll get a lot more from actually going to a few races and observing/probing/asking questions there. You'll get a feel for where you'll fit in pretty fast. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Bingo.

I'd recommend this option based on my guess that you haven't really given the subject enough thought yet. The span of options you are considering needs to be narrowed a lot. Asking questions on Rennlist isn't a bad way to start ... but I think you'll get a lot more from actually going to a few races and observing/probing/asking questions there. You'll get a feel for where you'll fit in pretty fast. Good luck.
Check the schedules and find a race that fits, rent a race car, and try it to see if you like it. Maybe do a couple.

It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as selling your car, buying a race car, not liking racing, selling your race car and then buying your old car back

-td
Old 03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Doug,

Does DeMan have a spare car sitting around that you could rent for a race or two? I hear he builds them from spare parts laying around.

Seriously, why don't you try it a couple of times and then decide what to do with the GT3.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Check the schedules and find a race that fits, rent a race car, and try it to see if you like it. Maybe do a couple.

It's not cheap, but it's not as expensive as selling your car, buying a race car, not liking racing, selling your race car and then buying your old car back

-td
Amen brother.

Quick Reply: To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!