Passing in corners at DE's in advanced run groups

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Just remember you do not have to give a point by for a corner if you do not feel safe doing so. If the guy behind you gets mad..well so be it...this is not racing!

Mike pretty well nails it with this comment. I've run in non-PCA events that have open passing in the top run group. It works great, gives you a chance to work on some off-line skills, and makes the traffic flow better. I hope the test is successful, and that PCA adopts the new rules.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Nearly every "other" group I run allows this for instructor sessions. Some allow it for advanced groups as well.

I think that Rule #2 needs expansion as the 50/50 logic seems flawed. If I signal to allow a mid corner pass I am willingly letting that car by. I don't lay claim to 50% of the track, I also don't intend to pinch him/her off or show them what I can really do from the apex to track out. Beat that into their heads first.

IMHO the advanced solo group drivers are the worst at giving passing signals and not drag racing you to the next corner after a passing signal.

Thanks!

Agreed! open passing is a step forward in linking DEs and racing, why teach bad habits to them, ownership of the corner is one of the hallmarks of the 13/13 rule.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've stopped doing PCA DEs because of the no passing in turns rule. I've driven for years with other groups that allow it (either with or without a point) and just get too frustrated when it is not allowed. If an instructor isn't capable of controlling the car to allow a pass in a turn or safely passing in a turn, how are they capable of being an instructor?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:30 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff and as Dan pointed out it worked great at PBIR. You may also want to consider post session meetings and encourage peer-feedback. I participate in a group that effectively self polices itself, and at the drivers meetings provides direct feedback regarding on track situational awareness and courtesy.

Hopefully PCA will embrace this nationwide to provide a clear path to CR for those interested.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom W
If an instructor isn't capable of controlling the car to allow a pass in a turn or safely passing in a turn, how are they capable of being an instructor?
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

There are WAY too many people out there "instructing" that have no business doing so, but that is another thread, isn't it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got my taste of open passing with a point this past weekend with NASA at VIR. Absolutely awesome!!!!

It made things flow so much better.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
..... If an instructor isn't capable of controlling the car to allow a pass in a turn or safely passing in a turn, how are they capable of being an instructor?
Tom & Larry-
With all due respect you are both wrong. The 3 best instructors I know, all with over 20 years instructing are not in favor of this change. 2 of them were racers one having won a national championship.

Their difference of opinion does not diminish their excellent credentials or their ability to teach. As has been said many times before on this board as well as other places DE's are not racing.

Please let's keep on topic.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
I got my taste of open passing with a point this past weekend with NASA at VIR. Absolutely awesome!!!!

It made things flow so much better.
Ted-
Was your arm out or were you doing the passin'?

BTW, I agree that with proper execution things can flow very well.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Ted-
Was your arm out or were you doing the passin'?

Both....when you track a 944 you gotta leave the ego at home.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
va122
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

There are WAY too many people out there "instructing" that have no business doing so, but that is another thread, isn't it.
I know instructors that can't even heel toe.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Tom & Larry-
With all due respect you are both wrong. The 3 best instructors I know, all with over 20 years instructing are not in favor of this change. 2 of them were racers one having won a national championship.

Their difference of opinion does not diminish their excellent credentials or their ability to teach. As has been said many times before on this board as well as other places DE's are not racing.

Please let's keep on topic.
Eddie I think the point is not if it is racing or not. The point is in most situations, the guy behind you made it to your bumper becauase he is faster. Open passing allows the lead driver to be over taken without having to wait for a passing zone (with a point). Lead driver doesn't have to give a point, following driver doesn't have to take a point. If you drive at this level you should have the judgement required for both scenarios, the ability to pull it off smoothly without danger and the common cortesy of the overtaken driver to maybe ease up a little to make the pass happen.

It does help keeping trains from developing.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
I know instructors that can't even heel toe.
So do I.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
Eddie I think the point is not if it is racing or not. The point is in most situations, the guy behind you made it to your bumper becauase he is faster. Open passing allows the lead driver to be over taken without having to wait for a passing zone (with a point). Lead driver doesn't have to give a point, following driver doesn't have to take a point. If you drive at this level you should have the judgement required for both scenarios, the ability to pull it off smoothly without danger and the common cortesy of the overtaken driver to maybe ease up a little to make the pass happen.

It does help keeping trains from developing.
TedA

There should not be trains forming in the advanced run groups. If there are then passing in the corners (with a signal) is not the solution.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 3 best instructors I know, all with over 20 years instructing are not in favor of this change.
I'd be shocked that most people at the instructor level would not be in favor of this change. However, I know there is a large range of skill level within the intructor level...
Old 02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys,

A few thoughts here:

1) Those who refer to DE as the link to racing should be aware that while it was PCA policy in the past, it is no longer. Consider the impact on insurance claims. Some unfortunates are still able to claim for damage because Driver's Education is still seen as something distinct from racing where no conventional coverage is possible. PCA decided some years ago to divorce Drivers Education (there's that word again) from racing.

2) As the CI of my region, a lot of the problems I encounter are caused by people who see DE as racing. People who get upset because they can't pass in the corner may be candidates for the "wanna-be" racers category.

3) It is my view that the experiment with passing in corners is probably due to increased competition for track-day dollars from groups like Chin etc. who do allow such things. On the other hand, their lapping days are not branded nor considered Driver's Education.

Having said all that, our passing rules are rather liberal in our instructor run group with no issues whatsoever. On the other hand, our Red run group is not only the quickest but also the safest and most polite group on the track. Nobody has anything to prove in Red and all are out to enjoy themselves with friends they know well.

If event organizers have flaggers who know their business (we're lucky they are almost always the same gang at our home track) and are willing to make liberal use of the Black Flag for aggressive driving based on real-time flagger reports then yes, it can be done safely.

Best,

Quick Reply: Passing in corners at DE's in advanced run groups