Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

VR and George- you guys are killing me. This is better than Seinfeld reruns... VR- See you at Harris Hill in a few days- I'd lik to follow you around to learn the track. George- I'll be at TWS in two weeks also. I'll keep and eye on Dave for you...
-Keith
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom,

Great job! A fun track, huh? Now you're hooked!

I'll just tell you where I drive differently, may or may not be better...

T2 - I start wider and turn in a little later. I find that in my car, if I take the apex a little later, I can track out a little more straight, and stay longer on the gas. Then I brake a tad later, and much harder.

T6 - left some track out there on your right, before turn-in. Remember, this is the set up for the 2nd longest straight.

T7 - brake less, or just lift. You went to 100% throttle after the apex, but I'm usually there before the apex. The camber of the track is working in your favor at the apex, and you have more grip than you think. Plus you're waiting until you're going uphill before attempting to accelerate. Also, the hill will give back plenty of time to slow down before the next turn.

T8 - This is where I have the most problem with looking ahead. You have to really keep eyes left, anticipating T9 to finally become visible in order to get hit T8 - T9 well. At least in my car, besides T2 - T3, this sequence is where I seem to gain the most on comparable cars/drivers when I hit it right, but it begins with looking left as you come up the hill. Very easy to follow the guy in front of you here because you can't see it ahead of time as well.

You went wide in the carousel, and as a result, you decreased your turn radius on the next - and more important - turn.

Love the foot cam! Where did you mount the camera?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Olcha911
VR and George- you guys are killing me. This is better than Seinfeld reruns... VR- See you at Harris Hill in a few days- I'd lik to follow you around to learn the track. George- I'll be at TWS in two weeks also. I'll keep and eye on Dave for you...
-Keith
LOL...Keith, I will not be bringing my car to HHR. However, please allow me to ride with you on Friday afternoon & I can show you where I think your car would do well. Deal?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
redcar1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Notice that the new pavement color also alters the look of the transition in T1. Same bumpy areas and smooth areas, but a new look.

Also, I think Steve actually got a 430 Stradale, not a full Challenge car...could be wrong.

With the pavement tidied up, it'll be pretty tempting to go straight through T1 and fly around the oval a time or two!!

You're right, a 430 Stradale is technically a "Challenge Stradale".
Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO! I do not think I am that good of a driver...but I'm better than you!
I think you are wrong!!! Let's get it on!!!

G.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by George A

G.
NOW you're talking!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

One suggestion: wait a bit before doing most of yrou downshufts. You are downshifting the instant you ge ton the brakes...
Roger that. Sometimes I just like to git 'er done. Patience daniel-san.

I remember back in the days our target was to break the two minute barrier. You got close at your first attempt. You can really carry a lot more speed through most of those turns but it takes a little getting use to... I noticed you tapped the brake in a couple of areas that I don't.

It is a fun track, isn't it? That's where I did my first DE.
2:00 seems doable, since I felt like I was still hacking the track up and the conditions were terrible - it was pretty cold both days (not to mention I had mis-matched front/rear tires). As for the cornerning speed and extra brake-taps, I was still working out the pucker. I'm going to create a puckermeter for my next video overlay Come to think of it, all my excuses are going to work well with the pucker meeter, lol.

It's a sweet track, I do admit. Makes me want to go back again!

Originally Posted by ervtx
[Pointers and]
Love the foot cam! Where did you mount the camera?
Thanks for the pointers. I have a load of video and data taking different lines that I'm going to analyze to see where I can find the most time. Add in a little Rfactor, better temperatures, and I'm hoping to break the 2:00 barrier.

As for the mount, I use a $3.00 electrical grounding clamp mounted to the seat pull up bar. Ultra cheap solution. Below is a pic, and here is a link to the whole setup (with a video link as well). Camera is mounted in the middle of the seat and does not interfere with driving at all. I kinda like it

Name:  Feetmount2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  34.4 KB

Originally Posted by redcar1
With the pavement tidied up, it'll be pretty tempting to go straight through T1 and fly around the oval a time or two!!
We had a few in the lower run groups miss their braking points and gently roll across the banking to the other side. I heard that Nascar was out there recently, and someone ran 218MPH on the oval.

-td
Old 01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by himself
As for the mount, I use a $3.00 electrical grounding clamp mounted to the seat pull up bar. Ultra cheap solution. Below is a pic, and here is a link to the whole setup (with a video link as well). Camera is mounted in the middle of the seat and does not interfere with driving at all. I kinda like it

Attachment 331451
Hey hey hey. Just make sure you keep that camera pointed the right direction.

TWS is a blast! I've been driving there for a year and I still have a ton to learn, but I always have fun.

BTW, how did you time-synch the two videos?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:42 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

G.
VR and George- I get it, you guys are trying to get a reality show deal... road course version of Pinks?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

One more tip - as you near the end of the straight, while still up on the banking, look hard left and you will see the next 4 turns from a great vantage point. A good way to visualize your path thru the T1 - T3 sequence right before turn-in.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:55 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Yes, yes I do. You are not as good of a driver as you think you are....

There, I said it.

G.
omg, the truth!!

Sadly its been nice knowing you George, soon you'll be banned from RL and have your PCA card revoked.

You did now bow at the alter of the pca god that is VR.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

One more tip - as you near the end of the straight, while still up on the banking, look hard left and you will see the next 4 turns from a great vantage point. A good way to visualize your path thru the T1 - T3 sequence right before turn-in.
Russ,

Sweet. I'll keep that in mind. Not sure if my hans will let me look hard left, lol

BTW, do you (or anyone driving a 996) have Performance box data files that I could look at? I'd like to get some comparison lap/sector times. If you some data, let me know and I'll pm my email addy.

-td
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by himself
Russ,

BTW, do you (or anyone driving a 996) have Performance box data files that I could look at? I'd like to get some comparison lap/sector times. If you some data, let me know and I'll pm my email addy.

-td
Yes, but unfortunately, they are all from a CW DE.

Here's the video overlay from one of the CW laps.... http://www.vimeo.com/1200937 Let me know if you want the data files....

I'll get some CCW data in two weeks.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Yes, but unfortunately, they are all from a CW DE.

Here's the video overlay from one of the CW laps.... http://www.vimeo.com/1200937 Let me know if you want the data files....

I'll get some CCW data in two weeks.
Roger that. Much appreciated. Also, there is a "new" and better free overlay program: racechrono2avi. Customizable display and it works with PBox data. There are a few bugs being worked out, but for the most part, it's way better than VBO replay.

I may try to get on the waiting list now that I've got a taste of TWS But gotta clear it with the wife first.

-td
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Hey hey hey. Just make sure you keep that camera pointed the right direction.
like the special footwell setup VR has in his car for female passengers...

Quick Reply: I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]