Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Footwork Camera Mount (with video)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default DIY Footwork Camera Mount (with video)

I couldn't find a camera mount that would work for video taping footwork. I tried a bunch of different set-ups, and nothing worked with my cameras. I could have ordered a bullet cam and routed the wiring under the seat, but I already have 2 cameras and don't want to explain to the wife why I need another one.

So I went down to Home Depot today and walked the store for an hour or so to brainstorm ideas for a DIY camera mount. As it turns out, I found a PERFECT mount - for $2.79. It is a 3/8" grounding clamp found in the electical department. It looks like this:

Name:  DSC03585.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  DSC03586.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  64.1 KB

As it turns out the screws/threads used on this clamp are EXACTLY the same size as the standard camera mounting hole. How convenient. [It actually came with screws that had a head for a slotted screwdriver, but I switched over to some hex head ones I had lying around.] Pictures of the assembled mount:
Name:  DSC03589.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  63.5 KB

No extra work needed - the camera simply screws onto the exposed bolt. I did add a round disc that I had from an old camera mount - but you could use a hex nut instead. This does 2 things: it adds a little stability to the camera and allows you to get the camera pointed in the right direction and then "lock" it down from underneath the camera.

I have Cobra Imola racing seats with standard pull up bars to adjust the seat. I simply added some racer's tape to the seat adjuster (pull-up) bar, and mounted the clamp directly to it. I positioned it so the camera is directly in the middle of the bar. Set up this way, the camera is unobtrusive and does not interfere with driving.

Name:  DSC03570.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  DSC03574.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  81.2 KB

Link to video (also embedded below)

[EDIT: this video is me driving around my neighborhood pushing pedals for the test video - trying to figure out if the camera is positioned correctly to catch foot movement. The footwork is just illustrative and was not intended to evaluate performance, but to illustrate/verify that the contraption would actually work on the track.]

Last edited by himself; 09-14-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Footwork Camera Mount (with video)