Sponsored by:

I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Boy is Thornton going to be disappointed.
I get that a lot.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
I fail to see how my posts portray me as insecure. I state quite a universal opinion, and you reply with directionless made up nonsense. You are a 50 year old man name calling on an internet forum Dave, quit trying to talk down to me, because you are certainly no level above me.
So Ryan, why exactly are you here posting on Rennlist?

Do you have an opinion on himself's first-time-ever-at-TWS 2:02? Pretty darn fast for a noob don't you think? Got any suggestions on how he could improve?

Or are you more interested in Dave than in driving? Just wondering...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

You will never get an answer. He is too busy popping zits.

And gnawing at his nails.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boss351
Which way around do you guys that know TWS is quicker, CW or CCW? I was doing 2:01's CW
My best CW time is around 2:05. I think my best CCW time is closer to 2:00. All things equal, my guess is that CCW is faster, and you should have no problem getting under 2:00.
Originally Posted by himself

Originally Posted by TR6
I thought we were looking at video [showing crappy driving in HD] from TWS...
Fixed it.
-td
Good video makes up for crappy driving!

Do you have an opinion on himself's first-time-ever-at-TWS 2:02? Pretty darn fast for a noob don't you think? Got any suggestions on how he could improve?
I had a few more pointers for himself,
but now have to keep them to myself,
so you can hear Ryan's answers yourself.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
so you can hear Ryan's answers yourself.
I'm listening, but all I hear are crickets.

Thanks for the , don't mind if I do...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 AM
boss351
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best CW time is around 2:05. I think my best CCW time is closer to 2:00. All things equal, my guess is that CCW is faster, and you should have no problem getting under 2:00.
Thanks for getting back on topic there! My impression (done CCW several days but never timed) is that CCW is faster due to the better speed carry through off the main straight in to turn 1 vs the opposite end in to the 'S' and maybe before/during/after carousel a little better CCW also.

Not sure how my times will compare this time out, switching to a different tyre brand (from Toyo R888 to Yoko A048), I have a feeling the Toyos are probably better from the complete lack of talk about the Yokos on here for 996's...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice! I had forgotten how many cones TDE uses.

One suggestion: wait a bit before doing most of yrou downshufts. You are downshifting the instant you ge ton the brakes...
Hmmm, get paid by the grammatical errors and spelling ............ Coach....

Originally Posted by George A
Pretty funny from a guy who couldn't even pass a Boxster in my car....

G.
We have heard this on numerous occasions. I especially like the one about being lapped in his BMW at a DE ...

I did drive your car sedately, a car I had never driven before & which needed to be undamaged so you could race it. I passed several cars. Others I did not.

Do you have a point?

Yes you are blindly slow and remember the student always surpasses the teacher , grass hopper

LMAO! I do not think I am that good of a driver...but I'm better than you!
Bravo! Bravo !

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I wish David would post online instead of these delusional personalities you have online. You say things here you would never say to someone in person. It is truly sad.
Hmmm Internet Bully huh, C'mon dave say some toughchit , c'mon you can do it ....

Dave, you have no friends. You've pissed everyone you know off with your mindless internet word vomit. The people that still associate with havent spent ENOUGH time with you.
Opps

I'm impervious to your ridiculous made up BS dave. I'm just calling it like I see it, a trend that seems be on the rise around these parts, as more and more people get to know you better.
Opps , Opps ,opps .........................

Sean, you are my friend. I was your first instructor, and you were one of my first-ever students. We have known each other since 2003. If you have a problem with my driving or the way I treat students (and I seriously doubt you possibly could), take it up with me privately. Don't be like Ryan, whose only posts here show him be the insecure angry ungrateful spoiled-rich dirtbag unnaturally obsessed with me that he is.

Seriously. You are FAR better than that.
Dave , you have issues man,

deeep deeep issues
what are you instructing these kids with ? is there adult supervision ?

Are you still seeing your probation officer DAVE ?

Originally Posted by deep_uv
About the same time that school let out.

I fail to see how my posts portray me as insecure. I state quite a universal opinion, and you reply with directionless made up nonsense. You are a 50 year old man name calling on an internet forum Dave, quit trying to talk down to me, because you are certainly no level above me.
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Boy is Thornton going to be disappointed.
Yes/No

Originally Posted by George A
Yes, yes I do. You are not as good of a driver as you think you are....
There, I said it.

G.
Ouch !......
Attached Images  

Last edited by A.Wayne; 01-27-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

since we want on topic.

T1/T2: Stay on the throttle through the transition, a later turn in, and a straighter braking area toward the box. This will allow you to carry more speed into T1 an through it. You should be able to stay WOT through the transition and for a couple of seconds before getting on the brakes. Picking the throttle up sooner in T2 is my only suggestion there. Don't be in such a hurry to get the car back left after T2, easy it over, you really abruptly moved the car back left. You've got time to easy it over for the entry to T3.

T3: You can brake a little later, usually 1-2ft before the yellow curbing start. Apex is maybe a tad late, but nothing awful.

T4: Brake in the middle of the oval transition, T4 is a pretty quick corner done correctly. Way late turn in, you turn in much earlier here because you can use the yellow curbing on the right. Both right side tires should be all the way apexing the yellow curb. You can see how late you are track out wise, you're almost tracking out at the ending of the exit curb

T5: Just a small lift is needed, you just need to set some weight on the front end. I'm shocked, I finally see a Porsche apexing T5 correctly.

T6: You have another foot or two on entry, use it. Late apex again, you can see where you're tracking out at. Use a wider entry, be decisive on turn in and with the throttle, there is a lot of grip because of the banking.

T7: No brakes, if my street e46 m3 on all seasons can go through T7 at 95 mph, you're 996 can. Maybe a 1/4 lift off throttle to sent the front, then WOT from turn in. Late apex again.

T8: Way early braking, you don't really need to start braking until the track starts to pitch down into T8. Otherwise, very nice turn in.

T9: Looks fine, late is safe. I tend to get both right side tires on that concrete and kind of hop the corner of concrete, grass, and track surface at apex.

T10: Entry is fine, I like the middle line. I tend to be more right than you on entry, but your fine. Very late and a foot or two off the apex here. Which is pinching your entry to T11.

T11: The bad exit of T10 is hurting you here, fix that and T11 will flow.

T12: Nice, well done. Don't be so fast to bring the car all the back track left for the entry of T13.

T13, T14, T15.: Do you like that left side entry kind of moving back toward right right? I stay more 3/4 toward track right brake straight in from T12, rotating the car mid corner for T13. You're iffy on the throttle through T14, be more confident with it, once turned in for T13, you can hold it 90-100% WOT through there.

As talked about before, you do downshift at the start of the braking zone. Wait, let the car settling while braking and downshift just before you're ready to turn in. It settles the car better and is less wear and tear on drive line components. Are you hands always that "alive" on entry and mid corner? You seem to move the wheel back and forth, any specific reason?

Hope that helps some, please take it with a helpful tone and not condescending in anyway. If Dave isn't available, I'd be glad to ride with anyone who wants some help.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

******* Wayne, you obviously have no other intent in just dropping in on this thread other than to harass a single individual. I could care less whether you think it's justified or not, but its an obvious, childish prank, and it makes you look like a moron.

People like you are great at making goods thing stink, and typically have no clue that the other option - to make good things better - is even available. At least split the difference do no harm. If you can't appreciate the subtlety, then just take your pile of **** and shove it back up the hole it came out of.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George and Dave,
Thanks for the entertainment and the reminder to renew my licence. George take the skirt off and race the TWS event. The wimparriffic Boxsters can't keep up with you, but should be able to dip into the low 1:57s high 1:56s after a year of development and seat time.
Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't be in such a hurry to get the car back left after T2, easy it over, you really abruptly moved the car back left. You've got time to easy it over for the entry to T3.
T2 - I start wider and turn in a little later.
Check.
T3: You can brake a little later, usually 1-2ft before the yellow curbing start.
Then I brake a tad later, and much harder.
Check.
T6: You have another foot or two on entry, use it.
T6 - left some track out there on your right, before turn-in.
Check.

T7: No brakes... Maybe a 1/4 lift off throttle to sent the front, then WOT from turn in.
T7 - brake less, or just lift. You went to 100% throttle after the apex, but I'm usually there before the apex.
Check.

T10: Very late and a foot or two off the apex here. Which is pinching your entry to T11.
You went wide in the carousel, and as a result, you decreased your turn radius on the next - and more important - turn.
Check.

I are a pertend instructer on da innernet!

Ax me how ta go fas like de wind.....
Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since we want on topic......

T5: Just a small lift is needed, you just need to set some weight on the front end. I'm shocked, I finally see a Porsche apexing T5 correctly.

T6: You have another foot or two on entry, use it. Late apex again, you can see where you're tracking out at. Use a wider entry, be decisive on turn in and with the throttle, there is a lot of grip because of the banking.
Good post.

Respectfully, I'd offer another perspective on 5-6. In my car, I like to displace T5 with no braking which puts me further track right and more rotated to the left prior to turn in to T6. Due to the tight apex of T5, he appears to be pointed to the right with respect to the track surface prior to turn in of T6. He could be using more track on the right and rotated more to left there if he was carrying a wider arc through T5 to T6 and therefore carry more speed through T6. JMHO.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, but unfortunately, they are all from a CW DE.

Here's the video overlay from one of the CW laps.... http://www.vimeo.com/1200937 Let me know if you want the data files....

I'll get some CCW data in two weeks.
Russell,
How do you like that data box, (that's one I was looking into)?
C
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Good post.

Respectfully, I'd offer another perspective on 5-6. In my car, I like to displace T5 with no braking which puts me further track right and more rotated to the left prior to turn in to T6. Due to the tight apex of T5, he appears to be pointed to the right with respect to the track surface prior to turn in of T6. He could be using more track on the right and rotated more to left there if he was carrying a wider arc through T5 to T6 and therefore carry more speed through T6. JMHO.
You shouldn't brake for T5 apexing it either. Apexing T5 makes it a lot harder to setup for the T6 entry, I agree with that. Its not a "novice" kind of thing, you're having to braking and rotate the car for the T6 entry at the same time. Its very uncomfortable the first couple of times. It takes practice, but I believe its faster. Anytime you can cut distance, without sacrificing speed, its going to help.

But different strokes for different folks. If a displaced T5 apex works for you, then by all means use it.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

since we want on topic.
[notes]

Are you hands always that "alive" on entry and mid corner? You seem to move the wheel back and forth, any specific reason?
Probably stupidity or a crappy car. Or both.

Hope that helps some, please take it with a helpful tone and not condescending in anyway. If Dave isn't available, I'd be glad to ride with anyone who wants some help.
My ego isn't so big I take anything in a condescending way. I know I have a lot to learn, especially on a track I've only been on, well, once.

-td

Quick Reply: I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]