Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of this has to do with a driver's style. Spencer Pumpelly, Andy's good friend and just as fast, has a completely different style. Spencer has every busy hands, he drives with his right foot to the floor and constantly correcting with the steering wheel. From the outside the car looks very smooth but form the inside he is very busy. Lots of fun to watch.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, im a big advocator of the car always being in gear!
And, yes, I was talking about going through the gears , with blips and clutch releases for each shift.

There is reason my clutch is over 7 full racing seasons old and the discs still look brand new!

What i was talking about, is that you could actually leave your racer in 6th all the way down to 40mph, where you blip and find 2nd. as i mentioned, my gear box characteristics doesnt allow me to do that smoothly, so, I just blip down shift through the gears.

I have to agree about the feel of leaving your racer in a tall gear until the last second. I dont like it, you loose the ability to react as you say, and it just plain messes up my timing and feel for the rpm matching.

mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Sure, you can...in fact, you SHOULD always leave it in gear. If the shift lever isn't moving, the clutch shouldn't be disengaged IMO. What I said is that leaving it in 6th gear all the way until you need to choose 2nd forces you to perform a HUGE rev blip right around turn-in in order to get the revs matched between such a large jump in gear ratio. I think you are much better off spacing multiple smaller blips and downshifts throughout the braking zone.

Are you truly shifting gears and re-engaging the clutch between each downshift or are you riding the clutch pedal all the way through each move of the shifter lever?

To those who say that it's "too busy" in a braking zone or perform multiple downshifts, I always offer up this video of my dad. 6th to 3rd while disengaging and re-engaging the clutch between each shift in less than 3 seconds. In my opinion, it's easier to keep constant brake pressure while making 3 small blips than it is to heel-toe and try to make a huge RPM blip at the very end of the braking zone when going from 6th to 3rd.

Excellent example at 1:55 and at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_ByuzFCuY

I also think there's an advantage to being in a gear with some torque when you're racing closely so that you always have the option of going to throttle to avoid contact, etc. I don't like being stuck at 2000 RPM in 6th gear near the end of the braking zone when I hit a slick spot left by a "never needs an oil change" older Porsche and end up heading into the corner sideways.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
aracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there "were" only two venues to really stretch out....Daytona, without the bus stop and LeMans without the bus stop(s). Daytona still gets your adrenalin up, to a degree....ahh those interloping band aids!
soon the team transporters will feel more at home on the track!-andy can drive
Old 12-07-2008, 04:14 PM
aracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh YES, Pilgram as well as Lally-lots of great Andy's out there

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?