Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?

A few laps with Andy Lally @ Daytona. (you have to turn your moniter sideways to get a decent view)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRO2e71sjMI (for high res if your want)

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Andy was one of my coaches in the early days back at Bridgehampton with Track 1. Dennis Macchio pointed out to us that he was one to watch. He was a nice kid then, and we raced karts together a few times; I couldn't believe how he'd find openings where none seemed to exist. I've watched him come throught the ranks.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
95ONE
Race Car

the braking G's are phenomenal. I'm working hard to get near one G. - no ABS either though.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95ONE
the braking G's are phenomenal. I'm working hard to get near one G. - no ABS either though.
I only saw about 1.0_ peak G's under braking according to the data in the video.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

...and to think that was all on two wheels...just amazing!

lol.
Actually I know we all really want a sequential box when we grow up, but I wonder as you watch them row back down through the gears, how being able to shift back 3 cogs at a time has to be an advantage for us mere mortals. I also want a sequential still.....
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I only saw about 1.0_ peak G's under braking according to the data in the video.
I saw 1.3 ish peak for braking and about 1.4 ish peak for lateral. Less than I would have though for braking especially when coming off of the banking. About what I expected for the lateral.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

He lifts for the left kink in the infield. *****.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
He lifts for the left kink in the infield. *****.
Yeah, it was heartening to see that. Even if it's just a little, I can't resist the urge to breath it a little at the kink.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
but I wonder as you watch them row back down through the gears, how being able to shift back 3 cogs at a time has to be an advantage for us mere mortals..
Advantage how?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
...and to think that was all on two wheels...just amazing!

lol.
Actually I know we all really want a sequential box when we grow up, but I wonder as you watch them row back down through the gears, how being able to shift back 3 cogs at a time has to be an advantage for us mere mortals. I also want a sequential still.....
Well, as time marches on, we will all have some sort of SMG/DSG/PDK and will need to row down through all the gears as we decelerate. Flappy paddles are easier than the stalk, though.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I'd rather row down through the gears than to need to perform some MASSIVE rev blip at the end of a braking zone because my car is in 6th gear at 1000 RPM and I need to downshift into 2rd at 5500 RPM. Much easier to make small blips as you go down through the gears while keeping even braking pressure IMO.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I'd rather row down through the gears than to need to perform some MASSIVE rev blip at the end of a braking zone because my car is in 6th gear at 1000 RPM and I need to downshift into 2rd at 5500 RPM. Much easier to make small blips as you go down through the gears while keeping even braking pressure IMO.
+1

Lally sure can drive, uses the whole track and you can see from his input that's he's constantly making small adjustments.
Often when watching regular drivers (Club Racing, DE etc.) you see most of the guys driving with ease, never having to make any corrections which tells they're not really on or near the limit.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Often when watching regular drivers (Club Racing, DE etc.) you see most of the guys driving with ease, never having to make any corrections which tells they're not really on or near the limit.
I call it "DE smooth"...it's a good goal to have when you're learning to drive, but eventually you should progress to "race smooth" where things look absolutely under control from the outside even when things look busy on the inside.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

Lally sure can drive, uses the whole track and you can see from his input that's he's constantly making small adjustments.
Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I call it "DE smooth"...it's a good goal to have when you're learning to drive, but eventually you should progress to "race smooth" where things look absolutely under control from the outside even when things look busy on the inside.
Yup and Yup.

Another example, Randy Pobst, Long Beach, GT3 Cup.....

http://www.3rauto.com/video_folder/l...ch_video1.html

btw. That video of Lally is just of a test session, so It's not absolute 100%, I've been bothering him for some of the races in either GT or Koni but TRG apparently has it all stored away, somewhere.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?