Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I call it "DE smooth"...it's a good goal to have when you're learning to drive, but eventually you should progress to "race smooth" where things look absolutely under control from the outside even when things look busy on the inside.
Big friggin' +1

This is exactly how I explain it.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:24 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've known Andy for a long time. THERE IS NONE BETTER. A great guy and very humble.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

I'd rather row down through the gears than to need to perform some MASSIVE rev blip at the end of a braking zone because my car is in 6th gear at 1000 RPM and I need to downshift into 2rd at 5500 RPM. Much easier to make small blips as you go down through the gears while keeping even braking pressure IMO.
I call it "DE smooth"...it's a good goal to have when you're learning to drive, but eventually you should progress to "race smooth" where things look absolutely under control from the outside even when things look busy on the inside.
I agree on both, and am working on the second one...that's what formula cars are for!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

And here's a video to show that there are no definites in driving fast.

McNish is super smooth with minimal hand movement here rattling off a 1:48 at Road America.

You don't 'have' to be busy to make the car smooth. Certain cars and certain drivers are much busier than others and achieve similar results.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me thinks a car with a ton of downforce would require a lot fewer corrections. Then again I've never driven a car with any significant downforce.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
And here's a video to show that there are no definites in driving.

McNish is super smooth with minimal hand movement here rattling off a 1:48 at Road America.

You don't 'have' to be busy to make the car smooth. Certain cars and certain drivers are much busier than others and achieve similar results.

The only difference..... the R10 has TC, Paddle shifters, 800ft lbs of torque, Michelin slicks (vs. pirelli crap or toyo DOT's) and LOTS of aero..... just a bit different than a production based car.....
Old 11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by MTosi
The only difference..... the R10 has TC, Paddle shifters, 800ft lbs of torque, Michelin slicks (vs. pirelli crap or toyo DOT's) and LOTS of aero..... just a bit different than a production based car.....

You do realize that a number of the things you listed actually make a car have a much tighter/finer "edge" to drive at. Moreso than a production based car.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM
MTosi
User

You do realize that a number of the things you listed actually make a car have a much tighter/finer "edge" to drive at. Moreso than a production based car.
That's my point, obviously there are going to be less inputs in an R10, it's far more like a formula car, but we were talking about production based cars......
Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wow great drive , i wonder how much better if he was using all 4 wheels
Old 11-20-2008, 01:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree. He is not in the turns long enough to be "busy".
Ever see Auberlen work a Bmw at laguna or sears? you can see his elbows flying around the car from the stands.

Put him in a "Busy" car and watch the show, like in an RSR at the "Ring" or someplace like that.

I have always liked this footage at Sebring!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSJIsac2Mo4

perspective:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-P0...eature=related

or bryan Herta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKinhULILyI&NR=1

He is very smooth, but those cars are WAY different than a GT car!

mk

Last edited by mark kibort; 11-20-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Advantage how?
Well if needed I can go from 5th into 2nd. They can't. I'm not being too serious about this point and as I said, I'd love a sequential but I would say that is the only possible drawback of that transmission...and that it costs a small fortune...and that they're not rated to hold over a certain tq/hp level....but I still want one.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

And here's a video to show that there are no definites in driving fast.

i'm guessing the steering ratio in the R10 is a lot quicker than in production/sedan based cars like a gt3 cup...mcnish makes a good bit of corrections (that appear small) in that video but he doesnt have to turn the wheel much to make them...

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well if needed I can go from 5th into 2nd. They can't.
sure they can...5-4-3-2....i've always preferred rowing the gears on (multiple gear) downshifts, it's not a hard thing to do...not sure about porsches, but it's pretty easy to miss-shift in bmws...
Old 11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmwhite
i'm guessing the steering ratio in the R10 is a lot quicker than in production/sedan based cars like a gt3 cup...mcnish makes a good bit of corrections (that appear small) in that video but he doesnt have to turn the wheel much to make them...

They area a bit quicker but not a whole lot. In my formula car the degree of input through turn 1 at VIR isn't too different than it is in my wife's Mini. Yes he is making corrections but he's making them earlier and because of that they are smaller. Many of the ones you are seeing midcorner are feedback bumps from pavement imperfections, etc. You see those movements down the straight as well.

I posted the video to illustrate a point that to drive a car fast doesnt' mean you have to be working the wheel through the turn. There are no absolutes in how to drive a car fast.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:18 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
sure they can...5-4-3-2....i've always preferred rowing the gears on (multiple gear) downshifts, it's not a hard thing to do...not sure about porsches, but it's pretty easy to miss-shift in bmws...
Same with the pcar...I use my gear box. miss shift=tow back

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

I posted the video to illustrate a point that to drive a car fast doesnt' mean you have to be working the wheel through the turn. There are no absolutes in how to drive a car fast.
gotcha and agree...

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?