Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I have the same G-box!!! I can't quite get the same g's but my car weighs 3200 lbs and I can drive it home.

http://vimeo.com/1961380
Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

you can always do all your braking, (leavinig it in gear acts as kind of an ABS for the rears too) and then one blip to the desired gear before a turn. Ive tried it both ways at laguna in to the corkscrew and didnt see much of a difference. There is nothing keeping you from having to blip and go directly to the final gear selection, although for me, it helps me find the right gear slot to go through the gears, as my transmission is very cumbersome to work with in the 928.

mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I'd rather row down through the gears than to need to perform some MASSIVE rev blip at the end of a braking zone because my car is in 6th gear at 1000 RPM and I need to downshift into 2rd at 5500 RPM. Much easier to make small blips as you go down through the gears while keeping even braking pressure IMO.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
you can always do all your braking, (leavinig it in gear acts as kind of an ABS for the rears too) and then one blip to the desired gear before a turn.
Sure, you can...in fact, you SHOULD always leave it in gear. If the shift lever isn't moving, the clutch shouldn't be disengaged IMO. What I said is that leaving it in 6th gear all the way until you need to choose 2nd forces you to perform a HUGE rev blip right around turn-in in order to get the revs matched between such a large jump in gear ratio. I think you are much better off spacing multiple smaller blips and downshifts throughout the braking zone.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
There is nothing keeping you from having to blip and go directly to the final gear selection, although for me, it helps me find the right gear slot to go through the gears, as my transmission is very cumbersome to work with in the 928.
Are you truly shifting gears and re-engaging the clutch between each downshift or are you riding the clutch pedal all the way through each move of the shifter lever?

To those who say that it's "too busy" in a braking zone or perform multiple downshifts, I always offer up this video of my dad. 6th to 3rd while disengaging and re-engaging the clutch between each shift in less than 3 seconds. In my opinion, it's easier to keep constant brake pressure while making 3 small blips than it is to heel-toe and try to make a huge RPM blip at the very end of the braking zone when going from 6th to 3rd.

Excellent example at 1:55 and at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_ByuzFCuY

I also think there's an advantage to being in a gear with some torque when you're racing closely so that you always have the option of going to throttle to avoid contact, etc. I don't like being stuck at 2000 RPM in 6th gear near the end of the braking zone when I hit a slick spot left by a "never needs an oil change" older Porsche and end up heading into the corner sideways.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
He lifts for the left kink in the infield. *****.
I noticed that, too.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'd rather row down through the gears than to need to perform some MASSIVE rev blip at the end of a braking zone because my car is in 6th gear at 1000 RPM and I need to downshift into 2rd at 5500 RPM. Much easier to make small blips as you go down through the gears while keeping even braking pressure IMO.
Werd.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Big friggin' +1

This is exactly how I explain it.
+2

Watch Leh's in car videos sometime.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 AM
MTosi
User

I've always generalized it as steering through the course vs. driving the course.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Blocktrader
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
He lifts for the left kink in the infield. *****.
Grand-Am car runs a bit different through the kink than say an IMSA Cup car. The IMSA Cup is easily flat through the kink. The Grand-Am car can be flat, but a throttle breathe is alot easier. Especially on a practice day when it was pretty cool out (assuming this was the october test.) Also, there's not much time to gain in the kink taking it flat compared to a light breathe. Tenth or two tops.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, you can...in fact, you SHOULD always leave it in gear. If the shift lever isn't moving, the clutch shouldn't be disengaged IMO. What I said is that leaving it in 6th gear all the way until you need to choose 2nd forces you to perform a HUGE rev blip right around turn-in in order to get the revs matched between such a large jump in gear ratio. I think you are much better off spacing multiple smaller blips and downshifts throughout the braking zone.

Are you truly shifting gears and re-engaging the clutch between each downshift or are you riding the clutch pedal all the way through each move of the shifter lever?

To those who say that it's "too busy" in a braking zone or perform multiple downshifts, I always offer up this video of my dad. 6th to 3rd while disengaging and re-engaging the clutch between each shift in less than 3 seconds. In my opinion, it's easier to keep constant brake pressure while making 3 small blips than it is to heel-toe and try to make a huge RPM blip at the very end of the braking zone when going from 6th to 3rd.

Excellent example at 1:55 and at 2:30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_ByuzFCuY

I also think there's an advantage to being in a gear with some torque when you're racing closely so that you always have the option of going to throttle to avoid contact, etc. I don't like being stuck at 2000 RPM in 6th gear near the end of the braking zone when I hit a slick spot left by a "never needs an oil change" older Porsche and end up heading into the corner sideways.

I absolutely agree. Assuming you're properly heel-toeing, rowing through the gears shouldn't even be an issue. If you feel the need to go from 6-to-3 all at once, it's simply because your 6-5-4-3 is not smooth/efficient enough. Plain and simple.

Granted, there will always be exceptions. Yes, occasionally, given the right type of corner, it may be quicker to go from 4-to-2. But it's a rarity, methinks.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:32 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

I posted the video to illustrate a point that to drive a car fast doesnt' mean you have to be working the wheel through the turn. There are no absolutes in how to drive a car fast.
+1. When in doubt always study under the Professor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtmIu...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwCS...eature=related

By the way he did not ride hard any curbing either as he believed in the ultimate balance of the car, which would get upset as you aggressively ride the curbs. Who can argue with the Professor

Bottom line is, you have it or not....

Last edited by DJF1; 11-21-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by DJF1
By the way he did not ride hard any curbing either as he believed in the ultimate balance of the car, which would get upset as you aggressively ride the curbs. Who can argue with the Professor
Keep in mind that damper technology has improved quite a bit in the last 20 years. He may have a different attitude about newer cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+2

Watch Leh's in car videos sometime.
I have and he is "little" busy usually...

Although as Danny pointed out, the best example of looking slow but being fast, the professor always was like that. He looked like he was cruising an a cool down lap or something but the stop watch was telling a different story.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice video of your dad at VIR, Bryan. I see why so many of you Bimmer drivers want to carry your braking all the way to the apex. In many corners, he turns in fast and early and balances the car all the way into the apex. It looks pretty fast in a front engined car. Don't try that in an air-cooled 911!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
I absolutely agree. Assuming you're properly heel-toeing, rowing through the gears shouldn't even be an issue. If you feel the need to go from 6-to-3 all at once, it's simply because your 6-5-4-3 is not smooth/efficient enough. Plain and simple.

Granted, there will always be exceptions. Yes, occasionally, given the right type of corner, it may be quicker to go from 4-to-2. But it's a rarity, methinks.
Really? Check out Prost's video. He does the "big" downshift all the time, skipping directly to the gear he wants. In racing there are few absolutes, and more than one way to be quick.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Nice video of your dad at VIR, Bryan. I see why so many of you Bimmer drivers want to carry your braking all the way to the apex. In many corners, he turns in fast and early and balances the car all the way into the apex. It looks pretty fast in a front engined car. Don't try that in an air-cooled 911!
We have to make up speed on corner entry to make up for all of the traction you guys get on corner exit. You take what you can get and use the grip you've got.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to see how a GT3 Cup is REALLY meant to be driven?