GT3's Kryptonite

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
TMI, 'k, thx.
Sorry for the serious lapse... won't happen again.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Is ABS failure ANOTHER issue with these cars???
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What type of ABS failure? Is it just the light came on indicating something like a sensor is bad, or did the unit fail completely. It is a simple system, with only power ground, ignition poer, alternator, brake light switch, 4 sensor inputs, 4 logic level outputs, CAN lines, and the 'K' diganostic lead (to OBD2 port).

The other item that you may want to look into is that this engine has titanium connecting rods, the same as 03-06 996 Cup and just like the race cars, will need to have the engine overhauled after a period of heavy track usage.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondurant
Is ABS failure ANOTHER issue with these cars???
If you are referring to the 6GT3, then no.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
What type of ABS failure? Is it just the light came on indicating something like a sensor is bad, or did the unit fail completely. It is a simple system, with only power ground, ignition poer, alternator, brake light switch, 4 sensor inputs, 4 logic level outputs, CAN lines, and the 'K' diganostic lead (to OBD2 port).

The other item that you may want to look into is that this engine has titanium connecting rods, the same as 03-06 996 Cup and just like the race cars, will need to have the engine overhauled after a period of heavy track usage.
Are Ti rods more susceptible than others? That surprises me. What actually happens?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by Geoffrey

The light came on and I didn't have ABS, which I get into everytime I track the car. Instructors have told me I should. Have learned since, by some pretty swell racin folks, that I SHOULDN'T be. Sooo, I'll be thresholding it from now on. Need that info a month ago! It's going into the dealer, my tech thinks it's just the sensor. Hopefully it's not the whole unit.

Thanks for the heads up on the other. Race cars are just like men. High maintenance!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the other. Race cars are just like men. High maintenance!
Disagree, all we need is ONE THING, what could be easier?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

...ABS, which I get into everytime I track the car. Instructors have told me I should. Have learned since, by some pretty swell racin folks, that I SHOULDN'T be.
Interesting. I've never actually taken (or seen) data regarding whether engaging ABS makes a lap faster or not. I'd be interested in hearing what the gurus have to say.

For me, other than warm-up and OH #*%@ moments I rarely find the ABS on the track. When I do engage ABS it sure feels like it's because of too much weight transfer too fast making the fronts lock-up, basically faking the ABS system into turning on. I try to brake just a hair earlier to keep the car (ABS) happy. When I do hit ABS accidentally, I just curl my toes back and that seems "undo" the ABS system.

-td
Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by analogmike
Disagree, all we need is ONE THING, what could be easier?
No problem with that. Although he seems to need the one thing twice a day. No problem there either actually.

In the words of Jeff Foxworthy, all you need is a cold beer and to see something naked. That's two things by the way.

Originally Posted by himself
Interesting. I've never actually taken (or seen) data regarding whether engaging ABS makes a lap faster or not. I'd be interested in hearing what the gurus have to say.

For me, other than warm-up and OH #*%@ moments I rarely find the ABS on the track. When I do engage ABS it sure feels like it's because of too much weight transfer too fast making the fronts lock-up, basically faking the ABS system into turning on. I try to brake just a hair earlier to keep the car (ABS) happy. When I do hit ABS accidentally, I just curl my toes back and that seems "undo" the ABS system.

-td
Then you're doing it the correct way. Drive on friend!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I comletely agree on the ABS topic. If you are getting into your ABS consistently, you aren't braking correctly. I used the ABS on my RS America to help me learn to threshold brake and modulate it. If I felt the ABS kicking in, I knew I had messed up the braking. Now that I drive a miata with no ABS, I REALLY get to practice smooth weight transfer and braking or else I go off the end of the track...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:03 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your ABS sensor, they are magnetic and if your car spends as much time as mine in a shop metal filings and stuff stick on there and screw up the system. I actually had to replace the sensor at some point but I seem to break everything.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nd i've seen and personally driven GT3s that had what i'd call 'prematurely worn out engine/tranny mounts'. this is most easily felt when accelerating very hard in 2nd gear, while cornering and then attempting a 2-3 upshift. 3rd gear slot 'doesn't feel like where it should be'; i believe this due to movement of the engine/trans under hard accel and cornering. time for new mounts!

WHAT?!? That's the problem? I thought my syncros were bad. I changed to the cup shift cable and hardware which helped. My coach says that the cable needs to be tightened all the time. I never suspected the mounts?

Can anyone confirm or deny this??

Quick Reply: GT3's Kryptonite