Sponsored by:

GT3's Kryptonite

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3's Kryptonite

So, I hear GT3s are "bullet-proof" so I buy one. I need something bullet proof because sometimes my driving skills are worse than bullets... I'm thinking, it's great to have the Superman of cars! Well, this weekend a bolt backs out of the crank shaft pulley and shears an index pin. Apparently, from talking to a number of folks, this is not uncommon for our beloved 996 GT3s. I know tracking the car takes it's toll. While it was in the shop, my amazing service tech (he truly is the best) found various things that needed a little attention. In fact, the car is already fixed. He put in a Euro RS pulley and a new belt & checked the car over, tightening & sealing as he went.

My question is.... what other inherent weaknesses do I need to watch for? I know some problems plague some cars and not others. This pulley thing has happened twice to my car (only once while I've owned it) in under 20K miles. I'm not upset or even frustrated - I still think this is the best car you can drive on the track. Just want to be semi-prepared.

One last thing... I've started a "race car expense fund". How much should be in there? I think I hear some of you laughing... No, really. Let's say for next year's race season. For wearable parts & then the unexpected repairs. Figure at least 2 DE's a month.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

My race shop (Farnbacher-Loles) techs and "nuts and bolts" my car before every race, making sure everything is tight. A street car like yours does not get the pounding that a pure race suspension gives, but you should still get it checked out regularly.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondurant
One last thing... I've started a "race car expense fund". How much should be in there? I think I hear some of you laughing... No, really. Let's say for next year's race season. For wearable parts & then the unexpected repairs. Figure at least 2 DE's a month.
Are you racing or doing DE? You call it a race fund but then say 2 DEs/month. How many races/month? The cost between the two can be very different depending on what level of preparation you're going to bring to a race.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

To be honest I have never heard of this as a common thing. Actually, this is the first I am hearing of it and I went to 100% track only some time back and she never let me down. Just like Mike, my shop does a "nut and bolt" before EVERY event. The GT3 truly is bulletproof but simple nut-and-bolt tasks keep them as such.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

shazam

Old 10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Are you racing or doing DE? You call it a race fund but then say 2 DEs/month. How many races/month? The cost between the two can be very different depending on what level of preparation you're going to bring to a race.
Sorry, DEs. I know it's taboo to call it racing but it sure feels like it. Especially when you're in the top run group and get to pass in the corners. I digress... Hopefully will club race in the future but most likely won't be with the Cups.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Limited Slip Differential is a weakness on this car. Only 11 lbs. from factory and they wear quickly. I suggest aftermarket when you need it done.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
shazam\
Wow! Your vault is full... You loaning any of that out?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Dell. We have 100s of hours on "6" Cup motors which are basically the same as your GT3 & we never had this issue.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RMS but that is the same with the 997 GT3. Was in the shop today and they say they see a ton of 997 GT3 RMS problems. I had mine fail in my 6GT3 (avatar). Now own a 997S as a DD and track it quite a bit. Nothing so far. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondurant
Wow! Your vault is full... You loaning any of that out?
Nah, and Hank Paulsen keeps calling me, asking that...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by analogmike
My race shop (Farnbacher-Loles) techs and "nuts and bolts" my car before every race, making sure everything is tight. A street car like yours does not get the pounding that a pure race suspension gives, but you should still get it checked out regularly.

Good luck!!!
Would it be to much to ask which nuts & bolts and what torque settings?

Originally Posted by Pete
Limited Slip Differential is a weakness on this car. Only 11 lbs. from factory and they wear quickly. I suggest aftermarket when you need it done.
Thanks! That's the info I need. I guess I will know when it goes?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it is actually common...happened to my father's 6-GT3 at VIR about 4 weeks ago.

EDIT: This happened after nearly 2 years of "track only" driving.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nah, and Hank Paulsen keeps calling me, asking that...
I'll talk to Paulie about that. Consider it handled.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pulley problem is more common in GT3's with a lwfw mod, which I believe yours has...hopefully, your mechanic used loctite when he replaced the pulley bolt...have him check it before each event and you should be fine...as far as rms...if that car hasn't had a history by now it is not likely...the diff is another matter and requires inspection regulalrly as do wheels, tires, rotors and pads...I'm pretty sure Dell switched out the droplinks for the sway bars...the stock ones like to work loose...they should be checked regularly also...the more events you drive the more often you replace fluids....other than that...drive the heck out of it and enjoy!

Quick Reply: GT3's Kryptonite