Sponsored by:

GT3's Kryptonite

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I just went this "budget" route with the spouse and got hammered... A 3 day weekend for me at VIR is averaging $1500.

And I wonder why she complains!

Mike
$1500 if "all in" is cheap. Once you start amortizing for engine and tranny rebuilds, new halfshafts/CVs, brake rotors, etc., the "true" cost is likely much more.......
Old 10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, its been a LONG TIME since I did DE's for $700-800/DE.

Nowadays - my fuel bill is that much!

There was a point when I tried to rationalize my expenditures on the car/tools/equipment/etc by saying "well eventually I'll have everything I need, and the overall cost will go down" - never happened.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
There was a point when I tried to rationalize my expenditures on the car/tools/equipment/etc by saying "well eventually I'll have everything I need, and the overall cost will go down" - never happened.
I'm quickly realizing this... MANY THANKS to all the great advice!

One other thing that happened Sunday morning before the first session... went to torque the nuts on my wheel studs and one just spun. The stud had snapped in two. And of course, it was down in there so it had to be heated & drilled and worked it's way out. The great fellas at PST out at MSR did that handy work. Missed the my yellow session but the powers that be let me go out in white with an instructor (THAT'S why I drove in white! I haven't had all my boxes checked in the yellow log book. So, as I told you, I'm not all that. But maybe a bag of chips... on a good day. )

Back to the wheel stud... how often does THAT happen? I don't over torque - 96 ft lbs. I torque once a day in the morning and only on race, uh I mean, DE day. Is that too much?

Back to promoting to white... my AI I'm working with said he promotes drivers when their skills are par with the middle of the white pack. NOT skill level to just get into white - at the botttom of the pack. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it appropriate to tell a lady drover that she should check her nuts before every session not just before the first one? I'm even in trouble if I use her terminology cuz then I'm suggesting she check her stud....
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blondurant
Missed the my yellow session but the powers that be let me go out in white with an instructor (THAT'S why I drove in white! I haven't had all my boxes checked in the yellow log book. So, as I told you, I'm not all that. But maybe a bag of chips... on a good day. )

Back to promoting to white... my AI I'm working with said he promotes drivers when their skills are par with the middle of the white pack. NOT skill level to just get into white - at the botttom of the pack. Hope that makes sense.
It's unfortunate that the MAVPCA yellow logbook has not achieved its objective of standardizing criteria for promotion to white. Things are probably better than before - it seems that several GT3's are being held in yellow as the drivers are evaluated separately from pure vehicle speeds, for example. But the actual promotion process is still variabe. I like the idea of being evaluated by only 1 or 2 AI's over the course of several events and tracks at that stage - so that subtle patterns/habits can be identified over varying conditions. That was my experience, at least. However, I was promoted by a check ride with my team leader, not any of the AI's I had been with up till then. And the degree to which logbooks are used as a tool vs checkboxes is varied as well. Hope things continue to improve as there is clearly more room for it.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
is it appropriate to tell a lady drover that she should check her nuts before every session not just before the first one? I'm even in trouble if I use her terminology cuz then I'm suggesting she check her stud....
Uh.....check please!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Blondurant
Racer

You might consider checking a few things... you definitely have a screw loose. bwa ha ha ha... mine was funnier... ohhhh, I crack myself up.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
$1500 if "all in" is cheap. Once you start amortizing for engine and tranny rebuilds, new halfshafts/CVs, brake rotors, etc., the "true" cost is likely much more.......
Agree.

DE for me:
Figuring for a $15k motor rebuild, a $3k for a trans rebuild and a $1k shock rebuild every 125 days, not hours (motor hasn't happened yet), entry ($100/day), gas ($100/day + travel fuel, no tow vehicle), motel (split) $60/night, track ins ($50/day), tires (hoos 20 HCs max/$1,100, Toyos, 28 HCs, $850), pads (6 days front, 11 rear, yellows $250 axle), rotors (12 days front, 20 rear), axles every 70 days or so, bearings and..... oil changed every two events I figured average:

$699 / DAY w/ Toyos, $2,100 3 day weekend
$822/ DAY w/ Hoosiers, $2,450 3 day weekend

Not perfect but probably pretty close. That said I have only done one event this year. I usually run Toyos on Friday and Hoos on Sat/Sun. When I get back will be going back to Toyos or MCups probably.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Uh... I was the one that was actually checking her nuts. When I held up the broken stud, she looked at me and said, "What did you do?!" I'm sure glad that I checked them before she went out though. The broken one turned very easily, so it would have probably come off on track.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Uh... I was the one that was actually checking her nuts. When I held up the broken stud, she looked at me and said, "What did you do?!" I'm sure glad that I checked them before she went out though. The broken one turned very easily, so it would have probably come off on track.
So, Jeff....

If you're checking her nuts, who's checking your nuts?

Sorry, man... that was too easy.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by ervtx
So, Jeff....

If you're checking her nuts, who's checking your nuts?

Sorry, man... that was too easy.
He doesn't have any nuts! No studs either. Just holes and lugs... Seems kind of backwards that I have the other ones...

I'm going to get in big trouble for this. I'm telling him, "HE started it!"
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

He doesn't have any nuts! No studs either. Just holes and lugs... Seems kind of backwards that I have the other ones...

This thread reached the point of no return a LONG time ago. You could, however, add his meals, DE registration fees, tires, fuel, etc. to your '09 budget. From the way he tells it, there was also something he prevented!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Um... you need to clarify that statement, sweetie.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Um... you need to clarify that statement, sweetie.
OK, your CAR has no nuts. Oh wait, only on the wheels. There are nuts other places I'm sure! So, yeah, you and your car are VERY well equipped!!!

And Russ is right! I owe it all to you that my nut didn't bust on the track.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:10 AM
cs jeff
Instructor

OK, your CAR has no nuts. Oh wait, only on the wheels. There are nuts other places I'm sure! So, yeah, you and your car are VERY well equipped!!!

And Russ is right! I owe it all to you that my nut didn't bust on the track.
Thanks, sweetie, I try. I just wish we could have seen that crank bolt backing out. But at least you got to drive the 996. And you looked really good driving it!

Quick Reply: GT3's Kryptonite