Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 SIngapore GP , News ,Updates, Results..

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Singapore GP a success

f1-live.com

Sunday's first ever F1 night race beat the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony to become Singapore's most watched television spectacle, it has emerged.

Local reports say an average of 789,000 locals were tuned into Singapore's Channel 5 as Fernando Alonso took the chequered flag, compared with the 765,000 for the Olympics last month.

"In terms of ambience, facility and backdrop it was just fantastic," McLaren Chief Executive Martin Whitmarsh heralded on Tuesday.

But the British team's championship rival, Ferrari, does not agree. The Italian marque's President Luca di Montezemolo slammed the event as a "circus" track at which only the appearance of the safety car lottery could spice up.

"All this is humiliating for F1 and it is an aspect I want to talk about with the other teams in the next few weeks," Montezemolo, the chairman of the Formula One teams' alliance FOTA, told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

After weeks of speculation, he also confirmed that world champion Kimi Raikkonen will take a supportive role to Felipe Massa's title charge at the final three races of 2008.

"I expect Raikkonen to show he is world champion in the remaining races, to help Massa, to race for the good of the team and to finish in front of the McLarens," Montezemolo said.
Attached Images      
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if Luca would have been singing that same song if no safety car came out and Massa held on for the win and Kimi was 3rd or got to 2nd?????

Anyone want to place bets...............
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I wonder if Luca would have been singing that same song if no safety car came out and Massa held on for the win and Kimi was 3rd or got to 2nd?????

Anyone want to place bets...............
Magic 8 ball says....doubtful.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmn, Sir A. Wayne is in Singapore for race, Mr. Maylander is mysteriously 'sick' before the race.......exactly who WAS driving the Safety Car in Singapore?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,973 Posts

McLaren won't repeat 'inexcusable' errors

By Jonathan Noble Monday, September 29th 2008, 10:30 GMT

McLaren have told Lewis Hamilton that there will be no repeat of the 'inexcusable' mistakes they made at the end of last year as they bid to win their first world title in almost a decade.

Sorry to disappoint you Wayne with not appearing on RL, but I was at the track from Sat. to Mon. and didn't get to see what happened until last night.

Let's be clear about something, if Pinky doesn't hit the wall at that moment, Ferrari come in 1 - 2. Massa was clearly the class of the field and Kimi was heavy on fuel and reeling in Hamilton at a clip of .6 per lap before the SC. Massa and Hamilton were on the same fuel load and Kimi would have passed Hamilton during his pitstop. No question in my mind.

**** happens and my guess is that Pinquet is updating his resume at this point.

At the time the SC is deployed I said to myself, "Hamilton's good luck is UNBELIEVABLE". Not only does it erase Massa's lead, but neutralizes Kimi and his heavier fuel load. Who knew that it would benefit Alonso the most, but most of those on pitlane said that the Renaults and Williams cars were made for this type of circuit (which looked like a glorified autocross course).

You talk about the FIA and their bumbling, but what Bernie is doing to F1 with these courses where passing is virtually impossible is criminal. When Hamilton cannot get by a Red Bull, you know you have a course that is not suited for these types of cars.

Speaking of Hamilton, After the late SC, I started to smile again as I had a feeling he would try to attack Rosberg and possible put him out of the race with a dumb dive bomb. See above quote. I guess McLaren are starting to reign in Hamilton.

The electronic light situation at the Ferrari pits has got to go. There is supposed to be a fail safe switch on the fueling nozzle that keeps the light red if it gets stuck, that failed big time and possibly cost Ferrari the championship on Sunday.

How is it that F1 can develope unbelievable technology, but they can't build a fueling nozzle that gets stuck less than 1% of the time instead of almost 50% of the time when the fueler pulls back on it?

Kudos to the Renault team who have been waiting almost 2 years or this win, but I still don't know if Alonso is going to stay.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
How is it that F1 can develope unbelievable technology, but they can't build a fueling nozzle that gets stuck less than 1% of the time instead of almost 50% of the time when the fueler pulls back on it?
It's a French design. Enough said.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

McLaren have told Lewis Hamilton that there will be no repeat of the 'inexcusable' mistakes they made at the end of last year as they bid to win their first world title in almost a decade.

Sorry to disappoint you Wayne with not appearing on RL, but I was at the track from Sat. to Mon. and didn't get to see what happened until last night.

Let's be clear about something, if Pinky doesn't hit the wall at that moment, Ferrari come in 1 - 2. Massa was clearly the class of the field and Kimi was heavy on fuel and reeling in Hamilton at a clip of .6 per lap before the SC. Massa and Hamilton were on the same fuel load and Kimi would have passed Hamilton during his pitstop. No question in my mind.

At the time the SC is deployed I said to myself, "Hamilton's good luck is UNBELIEVABLE". Not only does it erase Massa's lead, but neutralizes Kimi and his heavier fuel load. Who knew that it would benefit Alonso the most, but most of those on pitlane said that the Renaults and Williams cars were made for this type of circuit (which looked like a glorified autocross course).

You talk about the FIA and their bumbling, but what Bernie is doing to F1 with these courses where passing is virtually impossible is criminal. When Hamilton cannot get by a Red Bull, you know you have a course that is not suited for these types of cars.

Speaking of Hamilton, After the late SC, I started to smile again as I had a feeling he would try to attack Rosberg and possible put him out of the race with a dumb dive bomb. See above quote. I guess McLaren are starting to reign in Hamilton.

The electronic light situation at the Ferrari pits has got to go. There is supposed to be a fail safe switch on the fueling nozzle that keeps the light red if it gets stuck, that failed big time and possibly cost Ferrari the championship on Sunday.

Kudos to the Renault team who have been waiting almost 2 years or this win, but I still don't know if Alonso is going to stay.
+1 and...

Originally Posted by ltc
It's a French design. Enough said.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ridonculous , as expected from you

Re-read your post about FA winning a race. Your horse has turned into an ***
Old 10-01-2008, 07:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fortunately Wayne, your in the minority when it comes to your opinions and examples. I'm still waiting for your prediction of Alonso to be in a red suit next year..... yea right.

You act as if Alonso stormed to victory. It's racing's version of "He woke up on 3rd base, but thinks he hit a triple". Pure dumb luck Alonso won that race. Note that my comment mentioned Kudos to the Renault TEAM, not necessarily Alonso. He simply kept it off the walls. His team has been working their *** off for a guy that may or may not be there at the end of the year. But, hey, that's Alonso's style. It could be his 4th team in as many years.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fortunately Wayne, your in the minority when it comes to your opinions and examples. I'm still waiting for your prediction of Alonso to be in a red suit next year..... yea right.
I'm sure Montezemolo would agree with Wayne right now. Wayne's prediction may be a few years off, but yours isn't even close.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Luis, but I just don't see Fernando at Ferrari after the current contracts expire. Things change very quickly in F1, but I don't see this happening. If Monti wanted Alonso he would not have resigned Kimi to an extention and be on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars. Persona non grata.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

You act as if Alonso stormed to victory. It's racing's version of "He woke up on 3rd base, but thinks he hit a triple". Pure dumb luck Alonso won that race. Note that my comment mentioned Kudos to the Renault TEAM, not necessarily Alonso. He simply kept it off the walls. His team has been working their *** off for a guy that may or may not be there at the end of the year. But, hey, that's Alonso's style. It could be his 4th team in as many years.
Sorry Luis, but I just don't see Fernando at Ferrari after the current contracts expire. Things change very quickly in F1, but I don't see this happening. If Monti wanted Alonso he would not have resigned Kimi to an extention and be on the hook for millions upon millions of dollars. Persona non grata.

Pete try and learn the sport and stay off Wiki..

1. You said Alonso would never win a race this year ..agghhh Wrong
2. You said if FA won a race you would eat Do Do / go ahead
3. Kimi did not re-sign , get your facts his contract runs to the end of 09. what Kimi did was activate his option for 2010.
Monty will not keep Kimi around that long and what kimi did was to make sure when santander buys out his contract for Alonso they will have to pay that extra year DIG ! not a new signing Wikipetia same ole contract ,

thank you

Hey where did my avatar go ?

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-02-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

http://www.formula1.com/news/

highlights vid is up, love the song choice (AC/DC)
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hilarious!!

Last edited by MJSpeed; 10-18-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:13 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hilarious!! And yet sad...

Quick Reply: 2008 SIngapore GP , News ,Updates, Results..