Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Bull,

............. And, there's really no such thing as a "momentum car"...............
Exactly the point.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bull,

Of course it's all relative. I'm sure Alonso and Hamilton are out there hoping Kimi (or whichever Ferrari driving is leading the race) has a hiccup. And, there's really no such thing as a "momentum car". Assuming that the idea of racing anything is to get around the track faster than everyone else, a disruption of (forward) momentum ain't good.

Still, there is always the need to slow the car and to regain velocity, so I understand what Joe (our Firehawk friend) was describing too, and there's no need, really, to be reminded here that all racers seek to maximize exit speed to the end.
Sure, but I was commenting on his note that "Driving a F stock car requires me to maintain as much momentum as possible entering the front straight." My emphasis was that this is true for ALL cars. Not just F cars.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:12 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a point of clarification for all those questioning "momentum". Yes, it is all relative. However, having driven several high hp cars it's far easier to regain exit speed when you have more than 245hp. It's no surprise that all drivers want to maintain the highest amount of momentum but there are many cars out there that make it a bit easier.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Sure, but I was commenting on his note that "Driving a F stock car requires me to maintain as much momentum as possible entering the front straight." My emphasis was that this is true for ALL cars. Not just F cars.
Obviously.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

It's safe to say we've beaten this horse to death...........
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm rethinking how I drive carousel now as well. The data that Fred has is pretty remarkable. I think I was loosing 1 second + to him from exit speed in that turn alone. I was taking a mid entry and coming down to the curb at exit. At the Glen I take a line similar to yours (the stuff it in line). Now, I'm thinking about trying a mid track entry and holding that line all the way through and never going to the curb. I saw some guys this year running that line and they seemed to gain on me/leave me there.

edit: I will be getting a data system over the winter....this flying blind is not good.
FWIW, here is some data about relative speeds using a more traditional line VS staying in the middle throughout Lightbulb. I think what primarily explains the delta is that my car was going from understeering to oversteering when bringing it closer to the inside of the turn at the exit. The middle line allowed me to carry more speed more smoothly/predictably. This worked for me, not sure at all that it applies to other types of cars or other drivers. By the way, don't look at speed in absolute terms. My speed sensor is magnet based and i config the tire circumference manually in AIM (not as reliable as GPS for speed).

Green line taken from 1:15.5 lap
Blue line taken from 1:16.6 lap
Attached Images  

Last edited by FredC; 09-22-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
It's safe to say we've beaten this horse to death...........
Yes, I'd say we have, for the umpteenth time. But you and I will continue to beat this to death, everytime we go out and chase after more powerful cars that also might weigh more....
Old 09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Fred,

Wow, that's a big difference (12 mph?) between those varying lines around the lightbulb turn. Does the difference represent speed at exit or speed around/through the turn?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM
FredC
Drifting

Fred,

Wow, that's a big difference (12 mph?) between those varying lines around the lightbulb turn. Does the difference represent speed at exit or speed around/through the turn?
The delta builds up as i get into the exit zone and slightly more thereafter, then closes in. I was happy to see the data after practice 1...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
FWIW, here is some data about relative speeds using a more traditional line VS staying in the middle throughout Lightbulb. I think what primarily explains the delta is that my car was going from understeering to oversteering when bringing it closer to the inside of the turn at the exit. The middle line allowed me to carry more speed more smoothly/predictably. This worked for me, not sure at all that it applies to other types of cars or other drivers. By the way, don't look at speed in absolute terms. My speed sensor is magnet based and i config the tire circumference manually in AIM (not as reliable as GPS for speed).

Green line taken from 1:15.5 lap
Blue line taken from 1:16.6 lap
Fred, do you have data from a "staying down low the whole way" line? This is what I'd call "my" line, see my video for how it looks...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
FredC
Drifting

Fred, do you have data from a "staying down low the whole way" line? This is what I'd call "my" line, see my video for how it looks...
Unfortunately, i don't. I did not try your line.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
FirstCayman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOTS of pictures are now on Schattenbaum website

Hi guys - as promised there are now a HUGE amount of pictures in the gallery on the Schattenbaum Region PCA website. There were a few already there throughout the week, but I just uploaded a whole new set. These pics are EXCELLENT quality. Take a look

There are two photo albums of pics from the Club Race . . . .

http://www.schattenbaum.org/Gallery.aspx

enjoy - Rob
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

What's Colin doing in this pic?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Mmm, three vintages of factory cups in a row.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

What's Colin doing in this pic?
Measuring...

Quick Reply: Lightening PCA CR......any news?......