Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:49 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Just a heads up but a large number of the posts you quote as ridiculing you are actually reasonable observations that if you paid some heed too you'd get a lot less of the Ghettoracer style comments.
I didn't consider any of them ridiculing... most were said in good sport... and would be good observations except they were made without any background and with certain incorrect assuptions, which I was meerly trying to clarify....
Old 06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
You can't trust Bull either. He is from Joisey.
I am NOT!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
You can't trust Bull either. He is from Joisey.
Originally Posted by Bull
I am NOT!
I guess smells can fool people. I thought TD was from NJ too.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kurt M
I guess smells can fool people. I thought TD was from NJ too.
You still sniffing race seats in the Paddock?????
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

How did you do against the little two driver 914?

Last edited by Matt Romanowski; 06-05-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: cowwect spewling
Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM
George S
Instructor

Originally Posted by SundayDriver

You have not been here long, and really have little clue about the people, personalities and history of this place. You have come on pretty strong, with a lot of near attacks and pretty much a know-it-all attitude. You have said some silly things in other posts - including on directed at me where you implied that you have seen the content of every video ever made of any decent pro driver. I mention that to show that you really have not bothered to develop much credibility here. Now it is your choice if you want to keep doing battle with everyone or figure out how to make friends. This place is like a neighborhood bar - Everyone I have ever seen (and I have been here a long time) has been welcomed. Those who choose to be obnoxious create their own environment.

Now you get to choose what kind of patron of the neighborhood bar you care to be, and most here will then act in response to your decision.
The best advice to any new comer. Such as myself

I didn't realize there was something wrong with 911's. My RS America is a joy to drive on or off track.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
MTosi
User

How did you do against the little two driver 914?
Not a snowball's chance in hell, once of those "lowly" 30 year old 914's (relatively close to stock) had FTD against the superior 911's (including GT3, GT3 RS, Turbo, RS America and more).... which is I'm sure no suprise to you
Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Mentioning the Corvair, you forgot the worst rear engine designed car ever, the Auto Union...... (must have been luck winning all of those races).

As far as talk, just post your results from your first pro race and see how it compares it to Frank Lin's first pro race results. At that point, you will not even need to make any comments or have time for this silly little forum. Maturity may also take over and so will respect.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by bobt993
Mentioning the Corvair, you forgot the worst rear engine designed car ever, the Auto Union...... (must have been luck winning all of those races).

As far as talk, just post your results from your first pro race and see how it compares it to Frank Lin's first pro race results. At that point, you will not even need to make any comments or have time for this silly little forum. Maturity may also take over and so will respect.
Not to be "disrespectful", I would simply like to point out that the auto union is rear mid engine which is not what I am referring to. Rear engine I have always defined as the engine is past the rear axle towards the back.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTosi
There is a reason no other manufacturer has tried......I can't argue its worse, but if there was an advantage to it wouldn't everyone have clamored to make a rear engine car....lets think about other rear engine cars.....hmm the corvair......
If there was one formula for making the best car, it would have been done already. If you think referring to corvairs brings you anywhere, well you might be one heck of a drover but one really sh*tty engineer. There is no point continue this discussion, obviously since you escape to sarcasm instead pointing out engineering facts.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:52 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Rassel
If there was one formula for making the best car, it would have been done already. If you think referring to corvairs brings you anywhere, well you might be one heck of a drover but one really sh*tty engineer. There is no point continue this discussion, obviously since you escape to sarcasm instead pointing out engineering facts.
I'm so confused???? what are you saying????? I pointed to the corvair because it was the only other rear engined car coming to mind, "engineering facts" would lead one to believe the Rear engine layout is a stupid idea. However Porsche executed the design extremely well, which is the exception to the rule.....there were some quotes earlier in the thread that put it far more eloquently than I can.

and there is formula for making the best car- RWD, Mid-Rear engine, which is the layout of every sucessful purpose built racecar since the early 60's....(please I know there are exceptions, quattro's in trans am, the front mid engine panoz etc.) there is a reason there aren't rear engined F1 cars or LMP cars.....

Rear engine cars:

Fiat 500
Mercedes 130
Corvair
Renault Dauphine
Simca 1000
Skoda 130
Porsche 911/356
Tata Nano
Beetle
Tatra 603

I highlighted the good ones, there is a reason the list is so short....also the trend is all three were designed by Porsche

Last edited by MTosi; 06-05-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fiat 500
Mercedes 130
Corvair
Renault Dauphine
Simca 1000
Skoda 130
Porsche 911/356
Tata Nano
Beetle
Tatra 603

I highlighted the good ones, there is a reason the list is so short....and the only good ones were designed by Porsche
You left out a bunch of others, I'm sure, most notably 1/2 of VW's lineup from the 60's into the 80s, including such venerable favorites as the Bus,

Vanagon,

and Squareback!

I also believe the Smart ForTwo is rear engine...

I was reading recently that VW has another rear-engine car in the works, too. Rear Engine Revival

Oh, and if you're going to do a "911/356" you might as well have said, "Beetle/356/911".
Old 06-05-2008, 05:17 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
You left out a bunch of others, I'm sure, most notably 1/2 of VW's lineup from the 60's into the 80s, including such venerable favorites as the Bus, Vanagon, and Squareback!

I was reading recently that VW has another rear-engine car in the works, too.

Oh, and if you're going to do a "911/356" you might as well have said, "Beetle/356/911".
hahaha I know, how could I not put the VW bus in that list (karmanghia also).... I just assumed the whole VW line up would be considered beetle, since its the same general chassis...almost....lol....But I actually looked that list up and that pretty much the extent of it, which sort of suprised me, I thought there were more.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Tata Nano will win Le Mans in the GT 'lite' class in 2013. Mark my word.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

there is a reason there aren't rear engined F1 cars or LMP cars.....

Because that's what the rules say.

Quick Reply: Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????