Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Not to jump in late and not to put the other drivers and you down. But I won this class in this region a few years ago and I stopped driving my 911 at AX at Devens because the class was to easy.
Then, with all due respect my good friend, I think you missed the point. When it was too easy, did you move over to SCCA and go to nationals then? And win? Or is this stuff less about in class competition, and at least with PCA more about a platform around honing and refining a set of skills, which unlike DE is timed and therefore more objective.

If I have any skill or speed at all on track, 90+% of it came from this venue. The course I laid this past weekend had several corners demonstrably longer and faster than several at NHMS. You can call what we do an AX, but a 1.25 miles covered by the fastest cars in sub 1 minute laps at the last NCR event, I'd call it time trialing on our own personal playground. And that is fully by design. I've seen far too many blue/white drivers screw up an hit stuff, whom when asked, never attended our events. I've yet to see one of our hard core folks ever hit anything. I attribute that directly to the skills they've acquire at Devens.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noel,
I just might do it! But I basically AX for a living with my job, so spending my day off AX is not high on my list. It is also expensive now and I can do a DE day for free since I am an instructor. But it is tempting!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Ron,
I agree that the last few courses have been very "track" like. I agree that I should try SCCA AX, but I am getting into SCCA racing instead and that is my main focus. But I will try to drag Romanowski out of his hole and try and make it down to your next event. The 911 doesn't get driven on the track and it would probably like to be played with again.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:34 PM
George S
Instructor

Jay, Romanowski was at the last NCR event...with his Mini Cooper. Come on down and watch MTosi.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
I've yet to see one of our hard core folks ever hit anything. I attribute that directly to the skills they've acquire at Devens.
Let's hope that is still the case in a few weeks at the Glen.

I have been autocrossing for the past 11 years, mainly in small parking lots in Ohio and to Ron's point, to call Devins (An old series of Amy Base Runways) an autocross is not exactly true. Time trial is definitely more appropriate. Very fast sweeping courses that regually exceed 1.24 miles in length. I hope was can continue to use it for years to come.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:18 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Hey Ron,
I agree that the last few courses have been very "track" like. I agree that I should try SCCA AX, but I am getting into SCCA racing instead and that is my main focus. But I will try to drag Romanowski out of his hole and try and make it down to your next event. The 911 doesn't get driven on the track and it would probably like to be played with again.
Yeah Jay, I didn't mean to suggest you needed to goto SCCA, just that from a PCA perspective (or at least my perspective) SCCA AX is a serious competition completely divorced from any real relationship with their road racing or rally venues. Whereas AX in PCA, certainly when we take what Devens offers us into account, the focus is far more around improving driving skills. For us, direct competition is more carrot than stick, and in my view, the program should reflect our desire to build a set of skills in the participants that can serve them well, be it on track tires or snow tires. In PCA in the NE, we really have only one true competitive event a year and thats Zone.

As an aside, I wonder if Mike P. will show at Zone this year or is he too far above us now that hes moving into the Pros. Its in your back yard this year Mr. P, you coming?
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by George S
Jay, Romanowski was at the last NCR event...with his Mini Cooper. Come on down and watch MTosi.
I was actually there as well. I was driving the BONE stock 914 with 165 tires on it with my wife. I was taking it easy on the old girl (the car, not the wife) and was entertaining myself with the massive body roll!!!!!! I spent more time in other people's cars instructing them then I did in my own car.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by RJay
Kid, let me tell you, if you're letting a young woman as pretty as that drive your 200K bucket of bolts and the stick you're concerned about is between the seats instead of your legs, you got a **** of a lot to learn.
I think my point was more, I just didn't need to let her drive my car. I made the mistake of volunteering it, she didn't ask.... I just figured it was a good excuse to go cruising around some back roads ....

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Unfortunately, racing BMX bikes doesn't really carry over to cars.
Second you could refrain from making unfounded insults.....I think a few guys like schumacher, raikkonen, hamilton, showed karts relate an awful lot to cars....

also here are some more pictures (mostly poor quality but they are best I have for now, the person taking the photos certainly wasn't the worlds best photographer and they were using a terrible camera so I had to crop them so you can even see the car)-

Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Geez, now you're picking on volunteer camera men!! That car needs some bigger torsion bars, biggers sway bars, a strut brace, poly bushings, and an alignment. Go drive it after that work is done to it and report back to us.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Geez, now you're picking on volunteer camera men!! That car needs some bigger torsion bars, biggers sway bars, a strut brace, poly bushings, and an alignment. Go drive it after that work is done to it and report back to us.
Your not kidding, but its not my car..... but I find its more fun to drive a car thats pretty much stock, they're slow but fun....
Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi

Second you could refrain from making unfounded insults.....I think a few guys like schumacher, raikkonen, hamilton, showed karts relate an awful lot to cars....

also here are some more pictures (mostly poor quality but they are best I have for now, the person taking the photos certainly wasn't the worlds best photographer and they were using a terrible camera so I had to crop them so you can even see the car)-

There you go again....sitting in the corner of the neighborhood bar all by yourself!

The first was a joke....so laugh!

The second???? Use another's pictures and then put down his efforts? We would be fairly certain you didn't take them if you were droving the car!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MTosi, your name isn't "My_Silver08" on the "Drive Accord" forum, is it?

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18503
Old 06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
There you go again....sitting in the corner of the neighborhood bar all by yourself!

The first was a joke....so laugh!

The second???? Use another's pictures and then put down his efforts? We would be fairly certain you didn't take them if you were droving the car!
Good thing MTosi showed up.....
I don't have to take all of Bull's wrath.......

Kid....you are OK in my book, and I am solely judging you by the company
you keep.....
Old 06-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Good thing MTosi showed up.....
I don't have to take all of Bull's wrath.......

Dr. Pain, you aren't whining AGAIN, are you??????
Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Dr. Pain, you aren't whining AGAIN, are you??????
Sir.....

In my profession, I am not the one doing the whining.......

Quick Reply: Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????