Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holding a hammer by the head and swinging the handle makes for poor results. The other way around on the other hand drives nails. Used the right way the 911 format has many advantages.

A 911 has to be driven as it requires much as does any car. The 911 format is not "Standard" for most people and has to be learned. There must be something good about the format as it is the car of choice in many racing venues and has a few wins here and there.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Mustang GT may be better for your power slides........
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Eh, I'm not following. If the next turn is to the right of the car (left in the picture), why are your wheels pointed sharply left?

Honestly, I didn't mean to bring this thread down to this level. My reaction was to comments re: 911 handling characteristics that seem more a driver-and-car from the info posted than a car platform issue.

Do you have any videos of your runs?

I was in the process of taking the correction out, which was leaving me pointed exactley where I needed to be going to get through the next gate. When I saw the picture I was suprised I was so hung out there. I honestly didnt remember sliding that much, since when I drive the car is constantly sliding (I forget the exact "degree angles" but who ever said sliding is not the fastest way around is incorrect, the car should always have like a 3-6 degree slip angle depending on the type, street cars more, setup racecars less), not lurid oversteer like that picture would lead you to believe, but it means I don't remember when I had a "loose moment". What you can't see from the picture is how quick that correction was in and out. Also sorry no video I wish I had some, since I was having a great time and it would be fun to watch.

On the 911, I am not referring to the way individual cars are setup, but the engine layout and general trend of handling with 911's. You can set one up to understeer (most people do) or oversteer, thats not the point. With the motor in the back, when the car finally reaches its true limit (or the sh#@ hits the fan) the momentum of the back will carry it around.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:50 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
On the 911, I am not referring to the way individual cars are setup, but the engine layout and general trend of handling with 911's. You can set one up to understeer (most people do) or oversteer, thats not the point. With the motor in the back, when the car finally reaches its true limit (or the sh#@ hits the fan) the momentum of the back will carry it around.
Have you autocrossed or tracked any mid-engine cars?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

In response to the initial question....

Because if you can drive a 911 well, you can pretty much handle anything else......

I might be wrong........
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
A Mustang GT may be better for your power slides........
I was actually thinking a kart might be a good choice.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04 PM
MTosi
User

can we cut the driver bashing, I could rip alot of people's driving here apart. Talk about how they shuffle the wheel like grandma, suck at heel toeing and have the ****ty downshifts, miss apex's like a first time DE driver, and might as well be out there on a bicycle cause they are cruising around like my grandma on the way to the store, but I choose to be respectful and keep my mouth shut or offer helpful criticism or advice

Just because I slide a car around a course, doesn't mean I am "powersliding". If you understood going quick, you'd realize that a car should be sliding (to various degree's and subtleties, but street tires have the greatest degree to be fast), if your not, your slow. My old man won the 24 hours of the glen 3 times (one time for porsche), 24 hours of midohio for corvette, drove for the GM and Chrysler factory teams, set the record for fast laps in a season in IMSA (9) instructed for Skip Barber for 15 years and much more, I've grown up with that as a rescource and have beat him on a regular basis. I also made it to the runoffs in the Red Bull F1 Driversearch and much more (I'd go on but its pathetic I've had to stoop to this level, I though people could be more respectful and have a rational conversation). I know a thing or two about going fast, so if you don't have anything relevent to the topic to say and wan't to tell me a I'm slow with out any basis in fact please leave, and post somewhere else.....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,951 Posts

can we cut the driver bashing, I could rip alot of people's driving here apart. Talk about how they shuffle the wheel like grandma, suck at heel toeing and have the ****ty downshifts, miss apex's like a first time DE driver, and might as well be out there on a bicycle cause they are cruising around like my grandma on the way to the store, but I choose to be respectful and keep my mouth shut or offer helpful criticism or advice

Just because I slide a car around a course, doesn't mean I am "powersliding". If you understood going quick, you'd realize that a car should be sliding (to various degree's and subtleties, but street tires have the greatest degree to be fast), if your not, your slow. My old man won the 24 hours of the glen 3 times (one time for porsche), 24 hours of midohio for corvette, drove for the GM and Chrysler factory teams, set the record for fast laps in a season in IMSA (9) instructed for Skip Barber for 15 years and much more, I've grown up with that as a rescource and have beat him on a regular basis. I also made it to the runoffs in the Red Bull F1 Driversearch. I know a thing or two about going fast, so if you don't have anything relevent to the topic to say and wan't to tell me a I'm slow with out any basis in fact please leave, and post somewhere else.....

and the most relevent and correct thing I've seen posted:
Your the one that just did the bashing in this post. The 911 platform is learned not inherited by birth. You may be faster than those other participants, but if I'm looking at your avatar, your at a slip angle that is not proper for this car. Give it some time and you will learn it well, Luke.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:15 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
In response to the initial question....

Because if you can drive a 911 well, you can pretty much handle anything else......

I might be wrong........
Bingo!

and also when I get home I'll post somemore pictures up and the full size one of that and somemore, so I don't have to listen to any more judgment on my slip angle, despite the fact no one can see where the next gate is or where I came from....

and 747 yes perfecting the 911 driving technique will take a while, but I actually found I took to it pretty quick. The trick was slow in fast out especially in the slaloms, since you can be on throttle exiting and have the back nailed down. Where if you come in to fast you spend the whole time trying to catch the tail.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Does anyone RACE a stock 88 911 on 10 year old street tires without even a dialed in alignment?

If that's all you had to race, I wouldnt race it either. But dont just toss all 911's into a bin because you drove an outdated car, on outdated and non dialed suspension on old tires in an auto-x.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I think wanna911 nailed it. Those older model's tails really wag and 10 year old tires? The newer cars are much more compliant. Going from a front engine car to a 911, the biggest advantage I found was using the *** coming out to my advantage to rotate the car and a ton more exit speed. Basically what you said about braking earlier, but getting on the gas way before the apex is a real advantage.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Rassel
because you want to win?
The reason the 911's win is because they are built by porsche, not due to the engine configuration. If Porsche wasn't so hung up on the mystique of the 911 they could build a car that would trounce it. I honestly think that next year in the ALMS they will not be able to win, unless they race something other than the 911RSR (I was thinking a flat 8 cayman would work!). There is no way it is going to keep up with the V8 M3 and the V8 vette if they enter the class.

Originally Posted by wanna911
Does anyone RACE a stock 88 911 on 10 year old street tires without even a dialed in alignment?
Someone with a death wish that being said it would be fun....Id be up for spec 83-89 911 with stock suspension (maybe an alignment) and street tires, that would be a TRUE drivers class if there ever was one
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
wanna911
Race Car

The reason the 911's win is because they are built by porsche, not due to the engine configuration. If Porsche wasn't so hung up on the mystique of the 911 they could build a car that would trounce it. I honestly think that next year in the ALMS they will not be able to win, unless they race something other than the 911RSR (I was thinking a flat 8 cayman would work!). There is no way it is going to keep up with the V8 M3 and the V8 vette if they enter the class.
There is already a V8 Vette in ALMS, And a V10 Viper, and a V8 Ford GT.

BMW isnt sneaking up on anyone this time, and Porsche is handing it to the Ferrari's with their V8's and mid engine configuration. So that pretty much eliminates your cayman theory. The BMW's that they got in to race between the lines before had a better weight/power ratio than anything that's out there even now. So when they have to play by the rules like everyone else and deal with competition adjustments, they arent going to be walking all over anyone.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

So let me get this right;

1. You go race a car with 10-year old tires with who-knows-when the last alignment was done.
2. This is your FIRST time driving a 911.
3. You cannot drive the car properly and slide trough corners etc. (being it poor tires, bad alignment or lack of experience with said car or all together, makes no difference here).
4. You decide it's the 911 platform that just ultimately sucks and completely rule out the other 3 things mentioned above.

To me that's like Ray Charles commenting on artwork...
Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by wanna911
There is already a V8 Vette in ALMS, And a V10 Viper, and a V8 Ford GT.

BMW isnt sneaking up on anyone this time, and Porsche is handing it to the Ferrari's with their V8's and mid engine configuration. So that pretty much eliminates your cayman theory.
I am referring to Pratt and Miller making a real assault on GT2 if/when they stop running GT1. As opposed to some privateer, like the current Vette's and the Ford GT. I think BMW is a HUGE force to be reckoned with. I'm not sure how the RSR have been "handing it" to the 430's.....They are 1 point behind in the drivers champ....I'm rooting for Porsche, I hope I'm wrong and your right....

ohh and last year the Privateer modified Cayman at the Ring 24 was only 2 seconds off the Factory RSR's (with factory drivers) pace......

Quick Reply: Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????