Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The answer is easy....don't buy one or race one. They are impossible, will never win anything and can't be set-up to handle properly. Luckily, you tumbled to this little known fact early in life.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
So let me get this right;

1. You go race a car with 10-year old tires with who-knows-when the last alignment was done.
2. This is your FIRST time driving a 911.
3. You cannot drive the car properly and slide trough corners etc. (being it poor tires, bad alignment or lack of experience with said car or all together, makes no difference here).
4. You decide it's the 911 platform that just ultimately sucks and completely rule out the other 3 things mentioned above.

To me that's like Ray Charles commenting on artwork...
First of all the car was properly aligned.....just for the street.....
Second wtf!?!?!?! are you trying to say and if your saying what I think your saying on what basis are you making that assumption....

Third could you please elaborate to where I ever said the 911 platform sucks?????

I didn't just jump out of this car and go the 911 platform sucks...... but that seems to be what everyone is inferring...... I guess I don't know what I realy meant..... thanks for clarifying for me what I realy think

The fact I've been driving various types 911's on the street since I got my liscense, and the 911 is by far and away my favorite car, must mean I think it sucks.......

Sorry I got all you 911 owners panties in a bunch, by suggesting, how dare me, that it is not the greatest chassis layout of all time for racing.....I didn't realize that I couldn't suggest something and have a rational conversation with a bunch of grown men without getting told my driving sucks despite the fact no one here has ever seen me drive...... silly me....carry on
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back on Topic:

I think that you would have a better answer to your question if you had driven a 911 that was properly setup. The transition from understeer to oversteer would be less dramatic and more controllable. Besides, a well setup 911 is a joy to drive. Nothing will out brake it, it will rotate easily under trailbraking, and if done so properly will come out of the corner like it was shot out of a cannon. And it is a challenge to drive right because it is all about correctly managing the grip, and there are no band-aids. The throttle, brakes and steering all affect the grip at the back of the car, and to be fast you have to do everything right. But when you get it right it is like no other car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

A Mustang GT may be better for your power slides........
+1 That's actually more like rally driving, thing rudders, not wheels..

The reason the 911's win is because they are built by porsche, not due to the engine configuration.
Got a point there..It would be nice if Porsche built the Z06, so you could actually take it to the track without suspension and brake mods.

It does not matter if you like the engine layout or not if you want to do track days as Porsche is still the only track car for us non racers.

I would prefer a Caymen GT3, but as I do not fit into 2 seaters the GT3 is the ultimate track car with almost 50-50 weight distribution.

Anything on the race track today goes nothing like that 911 with old tires, wrong setup, etc. but I will agree that it seems more and more difficult for Porsche.
Than again many people are saying that for many years and they are not doing too bad
Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
First of all the car was properly aligned.....just for the street.....
Second wtf!?!?!?! are you trying to say and if your saying what I think your saying on what basis are you making that assumption....

Third could you please elaborate to where I ever said the 911 platform sucks?????

I didn't just jump out of this car and go the 911 platform sucks...... but that seems to be what everyone is inferring...... I guess I don't know what I realy meant..... thanks for clarifying for me what I realy think

The fact I've been driving various types 911's on the street since I got my liscense, and the 911 is by far and away my favorite car, must mean I think it sucks.......
Maybe I misunderstood your post but I think the title already says it very clearly:

"Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one???? "

The rest becomes obvious reading your post. Sorry if I misunderstood you and my apologies.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With that car you had two options.

1. Drive within the limits of the car
2. Change the car. Obviously it wasn't properly aligned for autocrossing if it was aligned for the street.

99.9999999% of the time it is not the fastest way to autocross with the tail end wagging out.

So what if you beat the owner. Who cares. It matters not.

Your post reeks of internet troll. Yes you do strongly imply that the car sucks. You come into Rennlist and say (after having driven one 911) that the rear engine platform is horrible at the limit. Just a heads up, you weren't at teh limit if the tail was coming around. You were well past it.

All cars are difficult to control when you are at the limit. If the 911 was a platform that was ill-handling do you think the number of professional teams would be running them? The platform has gotten it done for many years.

EDIT: To follow up on the post. Your approach to your statement was very wrong. You imply that you drove the car well because you beat the owner, you imply the car was setup correctly for autocross even though you keep stating it was a street alignment, you then summarily denounce the rear wheel platform as a poor design for racing even though it has done well for many years. There were many better ways you could have presented your data and not ended up with amount of ridicule.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
jester911
Drifting

You also have to realize that your driving style is obviously different from the car owners. If you owned the car would you not set it up to suit your driving style?

I think this would be the case no matter what car you drive.

Oh and driving anything with 10 year old tires isn't going to be much of a picnic. How hard do you think that rubber is by now?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
With that car you had two options.

1. Drive within the limits of the car
2. Change the car. Obviously it wasn't properly aligned for autocrossing if it was aligned for the street.

99.9999999% of the time it is not the fastest way to autocross with the tail end wagging out.

So what if you beat the owner. Who cares. It matters not.

Your post reeks of internet troll. Yes you do strongly imply that the car sucks. You come into Rennlist and say (after having driven one 911) that the rear engine platform is horrible at the limit. Just a heads up, you weren't at teh limit if the tail was coming around. You were well past it.

All cars are difficult to control when you are at the limit. If the 911 was a platform that was ill-handling do you think the number of professional teams would be running them? The platform has gotten it done for many years.
Ohh sorry 4 seconds on the owner, I guess that isn't good enough, do the 11 other people with sticky tires and setup cars (Isn't that what everyone is saying you needed to do to win in a 911, apparently didn't work for them, I just improve my driving, its all I can afford) I beat count, guess that doesnt matter?????

I don't think you can comment on the fast way around the Auto-X I ran or about how I was driving.....So I am not going to waste my time defending myself

The observation didn't just pop in my head yesterday after driving the car (nor was it the first 911 I've driven), it was meerly the catalyst for me finally commenting on it, I have been making it for years, seeing as how I've grown up racing and around Porsches.......

and the reason 911's win is because Porsche knows how to make one hell of a race car......
Old 06-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Ohh sorry 4 seconds on the owner, I guess that isn't good enough, do the 11 other people with sticky tires and setup cars (Isn't that what everyone is saying you needed to do to win in a 911, apparently didn't work for them, I just improve my driving, its all I can afford to do) I beat count, guess that doesnt matter?????
Umm..... yeah it isnt' good enough. Who did you beat? Were they competitve national drivers? The number of people you beat is a good way to pound on your chest and feel good about yourself. The quality of people is the real key. You seem to care more about the number of people you beat by the multiple times you have repeated you beat the owner and 11 other people.

I don't think you can comment on the fast way around the Auto-X I ran or about how I was driving.....So I am not going to waste my time defending myself
Having run with a number of SCCA national champions and running at the national tour events I'm pretty sure I can say that the fastest guys out there were definitely not the guys steering in opposite lock all the time and sliding there way around the course.

The observation didn't just pop in my head yesterday after driving the car (nor was it the first 911 I've driven), it was meerly the catalyst for me finally commenting on it, I have been making it for years, seeing as how I've grown up racing and around Porsches.......

and the reason 911's win is because Porsche knows how to make one hell of a race car......
So here you first say you've been forming this idea for a while and then go on to say that Porsche actually does make one hell of a racecar. You're shooting your own argument in the foot.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the crowd you are talking to, perhaps the initial post could have been worded differently, however, I think it is still a fair question.

Larry's response probably answers your question (post 33). I'll just add that having driven a 911SC, an 88 Carrera, 964T and a 997 GT3, it is clear the model line performance has progressed substantially so one might wonder why drive an older 911.

I'll tell you, I was amazed at the difference when I went from a 964 Turbo to a Formula Ford. For me, I feel more confident in a mid-engined car and that allows me to focus more on technique and the competitive facets of the sport. It really boils down to what better fits your driving style.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ghetto Racer II? He's back???????????
Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Ohh sorry 4 seconds on the owner, I guess that isn't good enough, do the 11 other people with sticky tires and setup cars (Isn't that what everyone is saying you needed to do to win in a 911, apparently didn't work for them, I just improve my driving, its all I can afford) I beat count, guess that doesnt matter?????

"Lighten up, Francis!"
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by JBH
Given the crowd you are talking to, perhaps the initial post could have been worded differently, however, I think it is still a fair question.

Larry's response probably answers your question (post 33). I'll just add that having driven a 911SC, an 88 Carrera, 964T and a 997 GT3, it is clear the model line performance has progressed substantially so one might wonder why drive an older 911.

I'll tell you, I was amazed at the difference when I went from a 964 Turbo to a Formula Ford. For me, I feel more confident in a mid-engined car and that allows me to focus more on technique and the competitive facets of the sport. It really boils down to what better fits your driving style.
And in the same line of thought I could easily ask why anyone would race a vintage FF after having driven a modern FF. (although I really dig the vintage FF and am currently trying to get a Titan into the stable.)

Cars for the most part get better over time. Better engineering, better materials, etc.

With a 911 you have a certain box in which you have to drive and setup the car. If you can work within the box you can be very fast and competitive. The same can be said for many cars. When you start trying to make and expect a car to handle in a way it really doens't like you start running into problems.

Sure a 911 requires a slightly different style to driver but IMO it really isn't that much different than any other car out there.
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ohh sorry 4 seconds on the owner, I guess that isn't good enough, do the 11 other people with sticky tires and setup cars
Nah, it is meaningless. I beat 1/2 the field at an autocross once in a Cayenne. Yes, a truck. That's beating ~50 people with their sticky tires and setup cars. I don't recognize my performance as brilliant, I think theirs' was pathetic.

Quick Reply: Having now driven a 911, I have to ask why would you ever want to race one????