Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:39 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be there is spirit as I am still in the UK. Probably the worst thing about being in the UK for a few months is not getting my track time in. While my US mates are getting 3 days of driving in this weekend as the PCA DE and Club Race, I've had to be creative in finding ways to get my driving.

Today, I am at Silverstone Raceway doing a few lapping sessions. Yes, the same Silverstone as where the F1 British GP will be at in 7 weeks. It has been raining all day, so the track isn't just wet; there are puddles all over the track. It was still a lot of fun. I ran the 2 mile Southern F1 Test Circuit in an Exige S. The Southern Circuit is about 60% of the circuit the F1 cars will run. It was a lot of firsts this morning: the first time I have driven this circuit, the first time I have driven an Exige and the first time I have drive a RHD stick (very awkward for me). I was pretty fast anyways and got high markets. I have a couple wet lap pics I am bringing back.

I am very surprised by the Exige, coming out of driving 911's. It is a lot easier to drive. At neutral throttle it is perfectly neutral. At heavier throttle it understeers. It definitely isn't as fast, but it is much easier to control. It is a pain to get in and out of. It has very high sills and a low roof. There isn't a such thing as just jumping in. You go in 1 leg, bum, other leg and then bend your head forward to kiss your knees. It is the only car I have been in where you have to move the seat all the way back to get in or out.

This afternoon, I will be drivng a Renault Touring car and an open wheeler (bathtub with a steering wheel). Wet, but still a lot of fun. I am right now taking a break and Whittlebury Country Club, which is where all the F1 teams will be staying for the GP. Hope your weather is better than mine and everyone has a safe weekend.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

Just got back last nite. Great layout and event, but the virgin surface is already coming apart. Once that gets rectified it makes for an outstanding alternative for the locals
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty good weekend, but in my opinion Eagles Canyon can only go two directions from this point. Either they fix the surface properly so it can stand up to a weekend of hard racing or by this time next year it will be like a ghost town with tumbleweeds blowing around. I hope they do the right thing and make the track right.

Aside from the track issues and the heat it was a bunch of fun. Duking it out with the SPec Boxsters was a blast. I did manage a 2nd place finish in the last Sprint but only because nearly everyone had left.

When is the next race at TWS???
Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 PM
rickdm
Racer

Jeff, I was watching the first race Sunday from the top of the hill, and the track looked fantastic. The track looks even more dramatic than it does when driving it. All you Buckley boys looked good, and Pat was just awesome on that first race.

I do worry that large sections of that track are going to have to be repaved because the surface was either splitting or just turning to gravel. I don't know if concrete patches in the high stress areas would fix the problem, but the issue is not going away. Given how nice the layout is I have to believe they will get it taken care of.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Thanks Rick. Pat has really improved this year. He is a real contender now. Jeff Wiggins in the 735 car is also very good especially considering his first DE was last Spring. If Austin #779 can manage to reign in his talent he will be up among the likes of Buckley and Wurmbrand.

I couldnt hang with Shelley. Man, she is a great driver. I'm hoping a set of Hoosiers and a limited slip will gain me a couple of seconds. I think I'm done with the Toyo's. Pretty sure I'm getting all out of them I can. They squeal in every corner. I guess it's time to make the jump to real racing tires.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 PM
KurtC
Instructor

Here's a video from Monday. I was in the blue DE group. Had a lot of fun and got to meet a few of you nice folks.
http://www.vimeo.com/1070439

Fixed, now public.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The view from the top of the hill was fantastic (somebody post pics!). Close up, not so fantastic.

Jeff, it is too bad so many racers left early, but that shouldn't take anything away from you 2nd place finish. After 2 and half days of sweltering conditions, just starting that race is an achievement!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KurtC
Here's a video from Monday. I was in the blue DE group. Had a lot of fun and got to meet a few of you nice folks.
http://www.vimeo.com/1070439
Kurt, the clip is marked "private".

Here's one from Saturday:
I don't think I've ever seen so much off-line, inconsistent, late, and just plain weird point-by's in a single session before...
http://www.vimeo.com/1070874
Old 05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve / Greg,

I won't be able to upload the video from today's last two sessions until tomorrow, but I've checked them out on the TV, and you guys look awesome! Here's a teaser to hold you over...

http://www.vimeo.com/1071251
Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Love that rear window view.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
tfro
Advanced

Originally Posted by ervtx
Kurt, the clip is marked "private".

Here's one from Saturday:
I don't think I've ever seen so much off-line, inconsistent, late, and just plain weird point-by's in a single session before...
http://www.vimeo.com/1070874
Well, thats what you get in a blue group with a bunch of people who don't know the track yet.

Don't knock the front engine cars too hard, there were plenty of porsches doing dumb things too.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Holy smokes! Some of those folks weren't even in the same zip code as the apexes.....
Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm hoping a set of Hoosiers and a limited slip will gain me a couple of seconds. I think I'm done with the Toyo's. Pretty sure I'm getting all out of them I can. They squeal in every corner. I guess it's time to make the jump to real racing tires.
Jeff,
I would think you'll easily see 2+ seconds w/both of those. We have to run them in Spec Box with no LSD as well so I know where you are coming from. The Toyos work but they definitely aren't Hoosiers. Doesn't matter much since we all are on them but for you, Hoosiers will be a big improvement. They basically are the spec for the letter cars anyway if you want to run up front. I've actually kicked around buying a cheap set of 18s & throwing some Hoosiers on just to see what the Boxster will do. I think we would see a couple seconds pretty easily.

Speaking of LSD, I found out just how much fun not having it can really be in the enduro. About lap two or so, I broke a front sway bar drop link. Car started turning in REALLY well but I was loose & spinning the inside rear wheel like crazy. I adapted & kept running but I busted a ball joint 2 laps from the end. That's why you guys ended under yellow. Sorry My guess is the combination of that rough patch under braking @ turn 6 & the load I put on the arm with no front bar finally did the ball joint stud in. Still, all in all, it was a good weekend. After being in that cupcar for three years, I'm slowly figuring out how to drive a car with "0" power

PS: How about Watkins! He drove the crap out of his car. 2:05s in a Boxster w/187 rwhp is pretty damn impressive! Man, is he smooth!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Russell, you appear to be a pretty good driver. Really smooth. You should Club Race.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

So Jay....T6 does in yet another crucial part of one of your car, eh? What's that, 3 times now in the same spot? And my diff grenaded there, too? Sweet...

Yeah, having "no" power is fun.....except for long straightaways!

Jeff.....consider Hankook Z214's. Grippy as R6's and last longer, IMO.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?