Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Steve suffers from PSM'vy
That's always your standard repsonse, but really, it's exactly the opposite. I want to learn how to drive without a nanny so that I know that I'm improving (or not) my driving skills without extra help from a computer. You and Russell can compare your modified nannies and post your videos of you leaving lesser cars behind all you want. JMHO.

In fact, I'm about to take a step backwards from my stockish ABS equipped 964 and track an SC pretty much exclusively. You guys will really be leaving me in the dirt then. And that's fine, I'm out there to learn and develop my skills, not win the DE trophy.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Says the pot to the kettle. Where the hell were you, Spanky?
Teaching Bruce about the dangers of chlamydia. Well, since someone here dropped the ball, I figured I'd carry on the tradition.

G.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The hilights will be ...
getting intimate with Himself into turn 1 (we were about 1cm away from each other)
I wish I had my camera turned around for that one And I don't think you were 1 cm away. That's about twice as far as you looked from my mirror, lol. I think we both need to adjust our suspensions. I'm lifting a front tire in too many turns...

-td
Old 05-28-2008, 09:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
In fact, I'm about to take a step backwards...
Again???

How's the SC coming btw?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Again???

How's the SC coming btw?
Actually, pretty well. I've acquired quite a few parts already. I have replaced my master cylinder, have new stainless steel brake lines, wheel bearings all around, caliper rebuild kits and first set of Fuchs 9x16's and 8x16's. I'm about to pull the trigger on my Elephant Racing Shopping cart which contains, ERP spring plates, polybronze bearings, Torsion bars and weather sealed monoballs. Next up Smart Racing sways, sway mount reinforcement plates, re-valved Bilstiens, seats, harnesses and cage. I'm going to run one DE with the stock suspension for ****s and grins and then start installing the parts.

How's your 996 racer coming, btw?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

How's your 996 racer coming, btw?
Slowly. It's still in a very conceptual stage. ...translation, I'm still talking about it but doing nothing. Hope to make the purchase of the donor car in the fall. Till then I'll have to make do with my over-powered, computer assisted, POS.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
Teaching Bruce about the dangers of chlamydia. Well, since someone here dropped the ball, I figured I'd carry on the tradition.

G.
What the..............
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
What the..............
Exactly!!!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 AM
SWA911
Instructor

I'm out there to learn and develop my skills, not win the DE trophy.

Well put Steve. Spoken like a true racer. Can't wait to get you out there with us. It's a blast and you'll never look back, except for TWS DE's which are still a bunch of fun.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SWA911
Well put Steve. Spoken like a true racer. Can't wait to get you out there with us. It's a blast and you'll never look back, except for TWS DE's which are still a bunch of fun.
Steve'll be spanking the higher horsepower cars (including mine) in no time once he gets the SC dialed in and figured out.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:59 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George A

G.
Just make sure you're ready for Hallett
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, you guys sure are riled up tonight.
I'm sure it's all good natured jabs, but since my outlook and attitude have been 180 degrees mis-read, and because you guys touched on a subject that is important to me professionally, pls allow me to me set the record straight on what I'm doing here, and where my head is at... Besides, someone may find it useful in understanding their own addiction to this sport.

When I described my car as an understeering cab (observable fact), the attention turns to its performance related advantages:

An understeering cab... with AWD, lowered, on PSS9s, and MSC tires. That excuse is working about as well as my whining about GT3's with Hoosiers.
When I suggest the same attention on another car's performance related advantages...

Originally Posted by ervtx

It's the same reason why I can't as easily walk away from mglobe. Did never mention to you that his car has 35 more hp than mine? No? Really?!!
the attention turns back to my car's performance disadvantages (my original point)...

Waaa waaa waaa....

...get rid of that overweight, boulevard cruising, 4x4, rag-top and buy a coupe, or quit-cher-bitchen...

Only one of us complaining about lack of power.
I'm not complaining about my car. I really have two cars - one that is a blast to drive with the top down on the street, and one that is fast enough at a DE to stay ahead of my skills for as long as I end up owning it. It's perfect for neither, which ironically makes it perfect for doing both.

I'm out there to learn and develop my skills, not win the DE trophy.
I'm out there to have fun, which for most of us, requires both.

If you want to understand how both skill development and progressive achievement (symbolized by trophies) go hand in hand, read up on "flow": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology).

See especially the 6th component of flow: "Balance between ability level and challenge (the activity is neither too easy nor too difficult)." But as your skill improves, the balance (and flow) is lost. It's regained by increasing the challenge to align to the new skills. With new challenges comes more skill development. It's a never ending spiral. And it's the only way to experience fun in its most rewarding form!

So I'll be developing my skills too.... so that I can rise to increasingly difficult challenges... (like whipping mglobe's *** next month!!)
Old 05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Blondurant
Racer

Default Ready for the show

After watching the club races, I WANT IN! It's funny how my driving obsession has progressed:

AX: "Cool. This is how I drive in the Walmart parking lot. The slalom is just like dodging shopping carts."

Time Trial: "WAY Cool! I'm hitting 100 in the far corner if I exit the sweeper well. This is how I like to drive around the loop in Carthage, TX. Except no one is flipping me off."

DE: "WOW... Now this is what it's all about!!!"

Can't imagine what I'll think after going wheel-to-wheel.

SO... I've figured out pretty quick that my love for the GT3 will have to go unrequited in club racing - mucho denaro. The options I'm seriously considering are prepping my Cayman S or spec Boxster. My CS will fall in H class when it's all said & done. Last weekend's race at ECR, no one ran in that class. Who else is out there running in H? The spec Boxster class looks competitive though and I'm sure it will keep growing.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Just make sure you're ready for Hallett
My car is ready!!! Got it back from Gladwill last week, full corner balance and alignment. All, I mean all new fluids. It's just sitting there in the garage all clean and pretty. BUT, no wheels... Forgeline's still at Forgeline and HRE's still at HRE... I guess I could have run the the stock wheels with the MPSC's but with only two sets of heavy wheels, it just didn't sound appealing. Oh yeah, we had Mika's birthday party Saturday so I would have caught a little flack.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

G.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

George, George, George....

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?