Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 12:10 PM
bmoore
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got some additional pictures of the spec boxster posted at:

http://www.boxsterspec.com/index.php?showtopic=658
Old 05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by bmoore
I never planned to race in spec boxster. Todd wanted to build one and we all went together to build a "spec boxster". My plan is to continue to race the 996 cup. I bought one of the 997 cups last year. I loved the sequential transmission and additional pop but hated the non abs brakes. Probably the "real" reason I sold the 997 cup is that I could not "race" a $160K car. I just did not want to ever ball up that amount of money.

The new spec boxster is a good car and now well sorted. On the initial outlap at MSR sorting the car Glen did a 1:26! The cage that Todd did in the car is phenomenal too. I posted it for sale on Monday and have already gotten a lot of interest. If anyone needs pics or other information on all of the updates shoot me an email.

Thanks,
Wow, cool, Barry! Sorry I missed seeing you at the Mav events this spring, due to Mom's declining health & eventual death. Hope to see you this fall.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxster_s_257
Talking to you at dinner on Friday night, it was pretty clear to me that you wanted in to the Dark Side. Probably doesn't hurt that Shelly kicked butt all weekend and did really well (I'll take credit for parking next to her and my excellent tutelage).

Olcha was running in "H" this past weekend (Prepared RSA), broke his stub axle during the very first practice session on Saturday. "H" is currently a little light in this area. Quite a few Cayman S/Prepared Caymans running in the NE area now.

Not that you need or want my advice, but I'd seriously consider a Spec Boxster. Cheaper initial cost, cheaper to run/weekend, and plenty of competition. If Rob Cohen, Chad H. and a few other folks join the fray, you will have 10+ cars in your class. Brad Roberts (wrote the original rules for POC) mentioned that he will find a way to include 2.7 and 3.2 cars (similar to Spec 944) in the very near future. I'll keep my "F" car, might also show up in a Spec Box or a SC.

-Noby
Noby, that's exactly waht i told her 6 months ago... but who listens to their dumb boyfriend anyway?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Default Cayman Oil Ingestion Problem

The oil ingestion issue with the Cayman is not sitting well with me. My fellow CS buddy Glenn caught it on video if anyone's curious:

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-com...tml#post265529

There's some still shots on that tread as well. Starting a brew ha ha... I want it fixed.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Noby, that's exactly waht i told her 6 months ago... but who listens to their dumb boyfriend anyway?
WHAT!? I ALWAYS listen to my dumb boyfriend!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Originally Posted by caygirl
WHAT!? I ALWAYS listen to my dumb boyfriend!
Listen? Yes... Take advise? Hmmmm...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

And BTW... you forgot to mention that we'll be building two of them.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The oil ingestion issue with the Cayman is not sitting well with me. My fellow CS buddy Glenn caught it on video if anyone's curious:

http://www.caymanclub.net/cayman-com...tml#post265529

There's some still shots on that tread as well. Starting a brew ha ha... I want it fixed.
I especially liked the part where Glenn used his wipers to get the smoke particles off his windshield

-td
Old 05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen? Yes... Take advise? Hmmmm...
Hey, don't complain. Once you marry them, even the listening part goes out the window
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

That's a relatively common issue w/ the newer M96 non dry sump cars. Mosquito fogger. Gladwill and I have been trying different things w/ the oil separator, we actually sliced one up to see the different paths. My issue seems to be resolved. You can try the PMNA motorsports separator (aka Glenn Smith hot tub experiment), but I wouldn't do it on your Cayman if you're going to get a dedicated track car.

One more reason to get a Spec Box and keep your Cayman S as a street car Not that I (or anyone else for that matter) am trying to steer you in that direction....
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by boxster_s_257
One more reason to get a Spec Box and keep your Cayman S as a street car Not that I (or anyone else for that matter) am trying to steer you in that direction....
I won't be hard to steer that way... no camber required...
Old 05-29-2008, 01:03 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Judd, were you number 996? I think i pointed you by once or twice. I was in a black 996 C2 (all stock except for BFG R1s) and got to move up to the yellow group Monday. I went from one of the fastest in blue to mid to lower pack in yellow, but I drove a lot better being pushed and not getting continually stuck in traffic.
Yep, that was me. They yellow group was much better for traffic, but in that group passes aren't so easy to come by. If you get stuck there, you get stuck for a while. I remember a black 944 that pulled hard on the straights that ignored 4 blue flags-- it took the horn to get by him...

-Judd
Old 05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993RSCS
Judd,

I was in the white 993 that was trying (unsuccessfully) to keep up with you in one of the run sessions. You were driving very well.

Paul
Thanks. You had me working pretty hard to stay ahead of you
Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Hey, don't complain. Once you marry them, even the listening part goes out the window
But we more than make up for it in other ways, RIGHT?!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
juddtaylor
Instructor

Originally Posted by mglobe
Slowly. It's still in a very conceptual stage. ...translation, I'm still talking about it but doing nothing. Hope to make the purchase of the donor car in the fall. Till then I'll have to make do with my over-powered, computer assisted, POS.
I hope you're planning on getting a '99. It was the last year you could get a 996 without all of the computer assist crap. It was also the last year you can get the LSD option from porsche...

The only assist in my '99 is ABS (oh yeah, and the tiptronic trans <- me shifting )

-Judd

Quick Reply: Maverick Region CR/DE at ECR 5/24...who's going?