Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice drift through the carousel on lap 2!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
Christian, it was nice meeting you too. I'll follow your advice and never sell that car!
Pete, these two laps on the other Youtube video are incredible. It's nice to see how he keeps his momentum and does 3-4-5 and 10-11-12 in third gear because he's going fast enough! Chip V. told me his best lap in his 996 GT3 was a 2:20. Let's try to imagine!
Juha, What's weird about his line?
It looked weird to me but it maybe the camera that is aimed more towards the driver, the fact that the video starts in the middle of the bend and most importantly, my inexperience. (I've only driven at Sebring 5-6 weekends). It just looked weird to me, that's all.

2:25 is a good time no doubt about that and the guy could clearly control the car but since I know 2:26 is doable (and has been done) with very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less, it doesn't really impress me! Especially since the line trough T17 for that 2:26 lap is a lot safer...

I maybe the wrong person to comment (due to my inexperience) but it looked like the guy in the GT3 was really giving it all he had. Very nervous driving and maxing out even at T17. Maybe he should go racing instead maxing it out at DE's!? Just my $.02
Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
2:25 is a good time no doubt about that and the guy could clearly control the car but since I know 2:26 is doable (and has been done) with very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less, it doesn't really impress me!
Ah yes, the old DE mantra; a "very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less". And exactly how was that 2:26 timed? Rod Johnson, who is a pretty fast clubracer in his 993 RSCS on Hoosiers ran a low 2:27 in the club race this past February. Was this mildly modified 993 the equal to a PCA stock class 993 RSCS racecar? If so, that driver was smoking fast, and should be racing because he would clean house every time. More likely the time is BS or the car is way faster than a 993 RSCS.

Not to get too off topic here, but don't compare race cars to DE cars. Many DE cars are modified way beyond what PCA stock or prepared rules will allow, and as such cannot be the basis of an intelligent comparison.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Just as a note setup is Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 street tires, Carbotech brake pads, Moton CS with street, Autox, track spring rates ie app 550# front and 700# rear. By Pass pipes. Otherwise stock.

The car will be running the 2008 One Lap of America.

Peter
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Just as a note setup is Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 street tires, Carbotech brake pads, Moton CS with street, Autox, track spring rates ie app 550# front and 700# rear. By Pass pipes. Otherwise stock.

The car will be running the 2008 One Lap of America.

Peter
That is a pretty well setup GT3, and the Yoks are the fastest non-R tires you can buy (IMHO). Otherwise stock? Slap on a set of Hoosiers and it's ready for a club race!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ah yes, the old DE mantra; a "very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less". And exactly how was that 2:26 timed? Rod Johnson, who is a pretty fast clubracer in his 993 RSCS on Hoosiers ran a low 2:27 in the club race this past February. Was this mildly modified 993 the equal to a PCA stock class 993 RSCS racecar? If so, that driver was smoking fast, and should be racing because he would clean house every time. More likely the time is BS or the car is way faster than a 993 RSCS.

Not to get too off topic here, but don't compare race cars to DE cars. Many DE cars are modified way beyond what PCA stock or prepared rules will allow, and as such cannot be the basis of an intelligent comparison.
Larry,

I wasn't comparing race cars to DE cars. The GT3 is a street car and so is the 993.

The driver of the 993 is fast and you probably know him, he's my friend Petu "Flying Finn" Kummala. He used a proper lap timer and even with a 1 second error margin, he's between 2:25 - 2:27,

The 993 has modified exhaust, partly stripped interior, full cage, recaro seats, PSS9's, stock brakes, stock engine, Pilot sport cups. That's it. Car weighed around 2900lbs with 1/2 tank gas.

I couldn't find the video for the 2:26 lap but here's a 2:30 lap from years back with the same car and driver (less modifications and more weight), notice how calm Petu is (not wawing his hands around the cockpit, unless absolutely necessary):

And I agree, he should be racing!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...993_157595.htm
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petu is a fast driver indeed. The driver the OP videoed is nothing like that. His line through 17 was wide and since he stayed in the throttle, it was amazing he didn't kiss the wall. There are many lines through 17 to be sure but I haven't seen one that wide that works. Wide on entry, yes. Wide on exit, no.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

That is a pretty well setup GT3, and the Yoks are the fastest non-R tires you can buy (IMHO). Otherwise stock? Slap on a set of Hoosiers and it's ready for a club race!
Gotta love the Yoks and the driver just started SCCA club racing this year in a SSC Civic. As a point my best time in the same car was a 2:34+

Peter
Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Gotta love the Yoks and the driver just started SCCA club racing this year in a SSC Civic. As a point my best time in the same car was a 2:34+

Peter
Don't get me wrong guys, I would've been happy with a 2:40 in my ex-GT3. I have so much to learn and I know I won't learn it here; I need seat time and plenty of it too!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I wasn't comparing race cars to DE cars. The GT3 is a street car and so is the 993.
The GT3 as described is probably pretty close to a club racing setup. There's not a whole lot more you can play wioth that will make a measureable difference.

The driver of the 993 is fast and you probably know him, he's my friend Petu "Flying Finn" Kummala. He used a proper lap timer and even with a 1 second error margin, he's between 2:25 - 2:27
Petu? Why didn't you say so. I'd believe it.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Petu? Why didn't you say so. I'd believe it.
I like to keep people in excitement!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petu's timer is modified to read 3-5 seconds quicker, don't believe what is being said gents, as the finns are already drunk by mid afternoon and juha can't see everything from his hotel room besides there has never been a fast finn who's last name did not end with an en ( Makkinen, Raikkonen, Hakkinen etc)
Now Kummala Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! that's Finnish for some slow Gay guy with hockey puck damage and my bottle of Finlandia.....
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Petu's timer is modified to read 3-5 seconds quicker, don't believe what is being said gents, as the finns are already drunk by mid afternoon and juha can't see everything from his hotel room besides there has never been a fast finn who's last name did not end with an en ( Makkinen, Raikkonen, Hakkinen etc)
Now Kummala Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! that's Finnish for some slow Gay guy with hockey puck damage and my bottle of Finlandia.....
Lolol!! Wayne's been visiting the Finlandia bottle again!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:38 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's called CHIN motorsport...

I have a friend, who I know still is not a very good driver.
He joined CHIN about a year ago and after only one track weekend was promoted to solo. I immediately knew this was not the club for me.
I instruct for Chin as well as do Check off rides, while your above post may have been correct in the past I dont think it applies to how Chin is currently run and promotes to solo.
I think it is a great organization.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I instruct for Chin as well as do Check off rides, while your above post may have been correct in the past I dont think it applies to how Chin is currently run and promotes to solo.
I think it is a great organization.
Tom, that's great to hear!
I also know that you get lots of track time for your $$$ with Chin.
Hmm... maybe I should re-visit the idea of attending a Chin event!

Quick Reply: Close call at Sebring