Sponsored by:

Close call at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
Christian, it was nice meeting you too. I'll follow your advice and never sell that car!
Pete, these two laps on the other Youtube video are incredible. It's nice to see how he keeps his momentum and does 3-4-5 and 10-11-12 in third gear because he's going fast enough! Chip V. told me his best lap in his 996 GT3 was a 2:20. Let's try to imagine!
Juha, What's weird about his line?
Myself and most I know do those corners in third but dont turn those times.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ah yes, the old DE mantra; a "very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less". And exactly how was that 2:26 timed? Rod Johnson, who is a pretty fast clubracer in his 993 RSCS on Hoosiers ran a low 2:27 in the club race this past February. Was this mildly modified 993 the equal to a PCA stock class 993 RSCS racecar? If so, that driver was smoking fast, and should be racing because he would clean house every time. More likely the time is BS or the car is way faster than a 993 RSCS.

Not to get too off topic here, but don't compare race cars to DE cars. Many DE cars are modified way beyond what PCA stock or prepared rules will allow, and as such cannot be the basis of an intelligent comparison.
Yeah 2:25-26 is SMOKING fast in a streetable car at Sebring. Most guys in 997S 2005-2008 cars with slicks, coil overs and engine mods are doing 2:37-2:30 times.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Tom, that's great to hear!
I also know that you get lots of track time for your $$$ with Chin.
Hmm... maybe I should re-visit the idea of attending a Chin event!
I think you would be surprised at how good it is!! Many I know will not do other events after Chin as the track time is amazing.
Also advanced guys like yourself are allowed passing in corners with point bys which is better than PBOC SuperSolo stuff and give much more skill building opporunity.
also solo drivers are allowed passengers. then when friends and family come down and can ride all day with you they want to come again.
also gives non instructor solo drivers a chance to ride along with each other.
let me know when you come down, you wont be sorry

tom
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Juha, come over and check out a Chin event with us. The track time is amazing and a great group of people. I had a student last weekend that drove very well and smooth with a nice line/safe line. He has been at it for 4 track days at Sebring and 3 at Homestead. He was promoted to Group 1 solo. I have not heard of anyone having 1 day and going solo. Most of the guys I've met at the track it takes a lot more than a day or 2 to go solo.
Hope to see you out there soon with us at Sebring.
Mike
Old 04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Juha, come over and check out a Chin event with us. The track time is amazing and a great group of people. I had a student last weekend that drove very well and smooth with a nice line/safe line. He has been at it for 4 track days at Sebring and 3 at Homestead. He was promoted to Group 1 solo. I have not heard of anyone having 1 day and going solo. Most of the guys I've met at the track it takes a lot more than a day or 2 to go solo.
Mike
When is the next Sebring event? I'm going to Homestead with PCA on the 26th and 27th.
On a side note, I just ordered a new set of Hoosiers last week...hmm....
Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike
Depends on driving level , i have known of drivers who got signed off the same day...

When is the next Sebring event? I'm going to Homestead with PCA on the 26th and 27th.
I smell lunch .......
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 AM
ArcticGT3
Racer

It was my first event with Chin, and it's going to be hard to go back to PCA and 25 minute sessions. I met a great group of people, on and off the track. On the track, everyone seemed to pay attention to their rear view mirrors. I just watched my best lap, and could not blame traffic! I can't wait for May 3-4. Also, the driver of the white GT3 happened to make a mistake, and I was there with my camera. I don't think it's enough to draw too many conclusions.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Mike
It was my first event with Chin and I'll be back for sure. I can only speak for group two but the level of driving was very good. I don't think that there was any carnage except for the unfortunate Viper that self immolated. The two group format is great for track time but I can see a couple of downsides.

1. Beginners that get signed off are out running with solo drivers with more experience and may get sucked in to running over their heads.

2. It seems like it would be a pretty grueling day if you wanted to run a lot and had a student that wanted / needed instruction for every session. Most students probably don't stay out for the whole hour, I didn't on most runs, but it still must be pretty tiring.

I saw you at Christian's RCC feast but I didn't get a chance to say hi. I think it was the DE social event of the season so far!
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Guys, you have just brought up Chin several notches in my books. I have all the reasons to believe fellow rennlisters and to see Tom, Mike and Christian there, it must be good!

I just joined Chin and tried to register for the May 3-4. I guess I need to send in some kind of roster as it would not allow me to sign up for solo.
I'm glad my wife is out of town the 3-4 weekend as she would hang me by my ***** if she were home and knew I would be spending two weekends in row at the track...
Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Juha on the 993. We miss you over on the GT3 boards...

Now the trick that I use to prevent my wife from "hanging me up by my *****" is to head to the office to catch up on work on both Saturday and Sunday. I then forward all office calls to the cell phone.... So far, so good..... Keeping the GT3 at the track makes this whole effort quite painless...

(Now if I could convince our 9 year old son to keep a secret, I'd have a Ducati at the track as well. If my wife found out - my life would be over....)

-Blake
Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
I think what happened was he got on the gas too hard while still under the bridge. It made him go wide, he then hit a bump (at 5 seconds into the clip, which is somewhat hard to see on youtube), which destabilized the car. I spoke to him afterwards, showed him the tape, and he was fine with me posting it on youtube.
Tom, I'll make sure I come say hi in three weeks!!! I meant to but ended up spending Saturday waiting for my car to be ready, and made it back to Sebring for the last 5 laps of the day. No excuse for Sunday, though!

Armando
You can clearly see the bump and the back of the car go up, then start to slip out from under him... Glad both of you are okay and no damage was done!

BTW Tom i'm looking to come down to FLA for a Sebring or some sort of event, let me know what's good so I can sign up and plan it out
Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

May 3-4 Chin
May 31 PCA Suncoast
June 14-15 Chin
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Depends on driving level , i have known of drivers who got signed off the same day...

I smell lunch .......
Signed off 1st day ever at the track...1st DE every and signed off to solo? Are ya sure of that? Lunch...OK I will be back down in Miami in late May probably.

Also just so you all understand that when you get signed off to solo in Chin you are still running in the same run group as you were when an instructor was in the car with you. That is Group 1. Group 2 is for advanced solo and instructors.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Signed off 1st day ever at the track...1st DE every and signed off to solo? Are ya sure of that? Lunch...OK I will be back down in Miami in late May probably.

Also just so you all understand that when you get signed off to solo in Chin you are still running in the same run group as you were when an instructor was in the car with you. That is Group 1. Group 2 is for advanced solo and instructors.

Yes,
Person had Karting experience. first time at a DE and first time on track with chin.
got signed off for solo the same day.....
Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
I instruct for Chin as well as do Check off rides, while your above post may have been correct in the past I dont think it applies to how Chin is currently run and promotes to solo.
I think it is a great organization.
Tom,

I wonder if I can get a check out ride to advanced solo, of do I have to do 15-20 solo events first like they say on their website? The only thing I don't like about Chin is that they combine novice with intermediate solo run groups and there seem to be a lot of trains. Other than that one quibble, I agee, they are a great organization.

I had a great 5 or 6 laps in the spec E30 BMW before it overheated. That's a fun little car in the twisties.

Quick Reply: Close call at Sebring