Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

I have run a lot of Chin and they do a great job. The only other group that I really like is Seat Time which only runs @ Roebling Road.

I got signed off @ Chin my 1st day BUT I already had 5 days @ Sebring and I had to do a check ride with a Master Instructor. I am still in the Solo group and event though we do sometimes get trains, they usually clear up for a faster car within a lap. One thing with Chin if I am going to do just 1 day I always go on Sunday as the last sessions have almost no cars as everybody has had more than enough time.

Juha,

If I have my GT3 there and Ian is along you are welcome to ride in the right seat. I probably won't be back @ Sebring until Dec with Chin.

Peter
Old 04-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I have run a lot of Chin and they do a great job. The only other group that I really like is Seat Time which only runs @ Roebling Road.

I got signed off @ Chin my 1st day BUT I already had 5 days @ Sebring and I had to do a check ride with a Master Instructor. I am still in the Solo group and event though we do sometimes get trains, they usually clear up for a faster car within a lap. One thing with Chin if I am going to do just 1 day I always go on Sunday as the last sessions have almost no cars as everybody has had more than enough time.

Juha,

If I have my GT3 there and Ian is along you are welcome to ride in the right seat. I probably won't be back @ Sebring until Dec with Chin.

Peter
Peter,

Thanks for the offer and I would be happy to take you up on it!
I take it Ian is the driver in the video you posted?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I smell lunch .......
I smell Finlandia vodka!

You gonna be there during the weekend?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juha G
Peter,

Thanks for the offer and I would be happy to take you up on it!
I take it Ian is the driver in the video you posted?
Yes that is Ian driving. He has been co driving my GT3 for 3 years in SCCA AutoX and is the 2007 SCCA Solo/Pro Solo National Champion in Super Stock and was voted Solo Driver of the Year for 2007. I am in awe every time I ride with him. He is counter steering before I even feel the car begin to slide.

Peter
Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Yes that is Ian driving. He has been co driving my GT3 for 3 years in SCCA AutoX and is the 2007 SCCA Solo/Pro Solo National Champion in Super Stock and was voted Solo Driver of the Year for 2007. I am in awe every time I ride with him. He is counter steering before I even feel the car begin to slide.

Peter
Nice!! It's amazing how wrong idea you can get watching a video. To me his driving looked really nervous. And the non-stabilized image just made it look worse. I'll look him up when I get to Sebring!

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Congrats Juha on the 993. We miss you over on the GT3 boards...

Now the trick that I use to prevent my wife from "hanging me up by my *****" is to head to the office to catch up on work on both Saturday and Sunday. I then forward all office calls to the cell phone.... So far, so good..... Keeping the GT3 at the track makes this whole effort quite painless...

(Now if I could convince our 9 year old son to keep a secret, I'd have a Ducati at the track as well. If my wife found out - my life would be over....)

-Blake
Yeah, that works, until she overhears the Porsches tearing it up on the main straightaway...

Oh, and I will be back at the GT3 boards. I just need to get good (or stupid) enough so I don't fear wrecking an expensive GT car at the track...
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I smell Finlandia vodka!

You gonna be there during the weekend?
Yes , might make the run , what about Petu ?

Nice!! It's amazing how wrong idea you can get watching a video. To me his driving looked really nervous. And the non-stabilized image just made it look worse. I'll look him up when I get to Sebring!

Yeah, that works, until she overhears the Porsches tearing it up on the main straightaway...

Oh, and I will be back at the GT3 boards. I just need to get good (or stupid) enough so I don't fear wrecking an expensive GT car at the track...

How are you going to wreck a GT 3 from the hotel room , OHHHH, i get it , wreck a GT3 so that's what you call it ......
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

It took about 25 track days in my highly modified E46 M3 before I felt comfortable taking the GT3 to the track and then I immediately added the rear toe links and Motons to correct it's nervousness on the track. The M3 is still going to be my primary track car with the GT3 coming out once in a while.

Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73MvmT5C-ik

Peter
Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i love that video...leh makes the other cup cars look like mini vans
Old 04-16-2008, 01:51 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
i love that video...leh makes the other cup cars look like mini vans
It is a great video but that aint no Cup Car!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

good point
Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It took about 25 track days in my highly modified E46 M3 before I felt comfortable taking the GT3 to the track and then I immediately added the rear toe links and Motons to correct it's nervousness on the track. The M3 is still going to be my primary track car with the GT3 coming out once in a while. Peter
It's all about the alignment and set-up. With every tweek, my "3" gets less and less twitchy and more and more fun... Porsches on the track rock!

-Blake
Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 769 Posts

Thanks for the YouTube links!!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
sknandigam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Chin runs great events, I was at Sebring with them this past Sunday in a blue Cooper S. I watched the GT3 mishap from the front straight, and upon seeing no carnage, I was pretty amazed.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Petu will be there! Come down and we can have a beer after we're finished driving!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Ah yes, the old DE mantra; a "very mildly modified 993 that has 100hp less". And exactly how was that 2:26 timed? Rod Johnson, who is a pretty fast clubracer in his 993 RSCS on Hoosiers ran a low 2:27 in the club race this past February. Was this mildly modified 993 the equal to a PCA stock class 993 RSCS racecar? If so, that driver was smoking fast, and should be racing because he would clean house every time. More likely the time is BS or the car is way faster than a 993 RSCS.

Not to get too off topic here, but don't compare race cars to DE cars. Many DE cars are modified way beyond what PCA stock or prepared rules will allow, and as such cannot be the basis of an intelligent comparison.
Larry,

I wasn't comparing race cars to DE cars. The GT3 is a street car and so is the 993.

The driver of the 993 is fast and you probably know him, he's my friend Petu "Flying Finn" Kummala. He used a proper lap timer and even with a 1 second error margin, he's between 2:25 - 2:27,

The 993 has modified exhaust, partly stripped interior, full cage, recaro seats, PSS9's, stock brakes, stock engine, Pilot sport cups. That's it. Car weighed around 2900lbs with 1/2 tank gas.

I couldn't find the video for the 2:26 lap but here's a 2:30 lap from years back with the same car and driver (less modifications and more weight), notice how calm Petu is (not wawing his hands around the cockpit, unless absolutely necessary):

And I agree, he should be racing!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/P...993_157595.htm
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
...Petu? Why didn't you say so. I'd believe it.
Man, I leave for a week and come back to this?!

EDIT: My best time was actually 2:26.91 and it was with Kumho V710s (18" 245 & 285). I timed it with the Loncrace (sp?) lap timer.

2.29 was with MPSCs (17" 225 & 255), mods etc. are as Juha lists. There's no video of the 2.26 lap on-line because while I have it (on DVD), I don't know how to post it on-line. If anyone can help, let me know.

I would love to try go around Sebring with RSCS or GT3 cup. Anyone wants to borrow one? Pretty please with the sugar on the top...
Racing? I miss racing (from my MX days) and I'd love to race GT cars but there ain't teams calling me and I don't have enough $$$$ to go on my own.

Petu's timer is modified to read 3-5 seconds quicker, don't believe what is being said gents, as the finns are already drunk by mid afternoon and juha can't see everything from his hotel room besides there has never been a fast finn who's last name did not end with an en ( Makkinen, Raikkonen, Hakkinen etc)
Now Kummala Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! that's Finnish for some slow Gay guy with hockey puck damage and my bottle of Finlandia.....
I thought when you modified my timer that we agreed not to talk about it!
I agree there are a lot of "nen" Finns who are quick but what about Mikkola, Salo, Rosberg, Palttala, Jarvilehto (that's J.J.), Alen & others.

How are you going to wreck a GT 3 from the hotel room , OHHHH, i get it , wreck a GT3 so that's what you call it ......
I'll be there, you come down too.
As Juha said, I'm sure there will be beers! Juha might be actually a Swede based on his drinking problems though...

Video: That really was a close call! Seemed that the guy accelerated really fast even though was pretty wide. Then the tail started to step out and he over corrected it. Great save after that, many would've hit the wall after over correction.
The other video with the fast GT3 was good, nice little slide on T5, ne "sawed" but I do that quite a lot also when on the limit. And as Leh shows, it's rarely very clean from inside. Most of the time looks clean from outside though.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 05-06-2008 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Close call at Sebring