Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit on 4/12-13 with Potomac - Hooz goin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:19 PM
Musche
Racer

Gary, my apologies...I'm the guilty party with the beacon. I had it set up about half way down the hot pit. It was close to where we were set up in the pits and I'm too lazy to set it up at the end of the pit lane. I think I have my Aim timer set to ignore other signals for 8 seconds to avoid recognizing multiple beacons.
Old 04-15-2008 | 10:08 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

No problem at all Steve, if it didn't happen that day it would have been at another track at another time. I was actually warned to disconnect it since I was running the GPS timing so it's 100% my own fault. I knew something was wrong as the GPS track map was messed up (missing a short section) though it gave me all the data while I was in the missing piece. The good part is all the important data is entering and exiting corners and that is intact and visible. I was running at 7/10ths of the cars capability, braking early, braking at 75%, coasting, and doing other things that should amount to about 2 seconds. Add that to trying to figure out the best lines and turn in points and you have a lot of wasted time. Next time down i'll hunt up one of you local rocket jockeys for some tips for sure!
Old 04-15-2008 | 04:20 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Great seeing so many of you at the track. I cannot recall an event where we had a Waitlist in all run groups. Our VIR events usually have a Waitlist; but, it does not develop as quickly as this one did.

Some mentioned the paint splat in turns 3 & 9 -- Believe me, this has been addressed to Bill through all channels. The issue came up at our last FATT. We channel these comments back through the track coordinator.

My pet peeve must be the deer, and Friday I launched one over my car between 9 and 10. That brings my deer tally to two at Summit Point. Do the math, exactly 100 days on Summit Point main, and two deer hits. No confirmed kills. I have been lucky and not every one who has tagged one of these creatures has been so lucky.

On another issue, I used shaved R888s for the three days and Sally used them two days. It seems like they really went off, and I have not figured out why they worked better on day two then they did on day 3. By Sunday afternoon they were not very grippy and the right rear would probably not make it through another day. The inside of the right rear tire is seriously worn. I can only guess it is because of significant spinning through certain right handers. When I came in to take temp and pressure -- the temp was within a few degrees across the tire. not scientific data, because I had to get out of the car to take the temps. I have less then 2 degree negative camber on the rears.
Old 04-15-2008 | 09:07 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod

On another issue, I used shaved R888s for the three days and Sally used them two days. It seems like they really went off, and I have not figured out why they worked better on day two then they did on day 3. By Sunday afternoon they were not very grippy and the right rear would probably not make it through another day. The inside of the right rear tire is seriously worn. I can only guess it is because of significant spinning through certain right handers. When I came in to take temp and pressure -- the temp was within a few degrees across the tire. not scientific data, because I had to get out of the car to take the temps. I have less then 2 degree negative camber on the rears.
Alan,

There was a recent discussion regarding shaving R888's. The gist was that they suck if you shave them so save your money. I searched for the thread but I can't find it.
Old 04-16-2008 | 07:44 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

I must comment on Alan's Deer kill, I was parked at the end of the padock in turn 10 and was in the truck listening to the radio and heard extreme braking and a "whomp", at the moment I heard the "whomp" I saw a deer "fly" at least ten feet into the air as Alans' 911 went past. The deer got up and limped badly into the woods with a broken leg only to be followed by three more deer. No other cars were coming through at the time. Alan was going well in excess of 100mph when he had to take evasive manuevers.

Alan we are glad that the damage was what it was, this was a very close call and you are very lucky.

Quick Reply: Summit on 4/12-13 with Potomac - Hooz goin?