Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit on 4/12-13 with Potomac - Hooz goin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was out in Red myself, and was out with students in black, white and blue and everyone in POT was extremely courteous and gave proper point by's. Plus, they were just as pleasant off the track as on.

I was there a couple of weeks ago with Schattenbaum, and track has deteriorated since then. If you were on apex in T3, you hit and pot hole; If you went way off line in T3, you hit the pot hole with the other wheel and there was a huge hole with a trench past the apex of T9. Plus, the T5 and T6 were getting really torn up. Still, I'm going back there with NNJR in two weeks as I enjoy the track.

Did anyone notice that one of the members of ZZ Top was flagging at track out of T9?
Old 04-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Gary, hopefully you got a chance to sit in the car with Jim (aka forklift). He is running low 23's on (were running similar times). I will be there end of the month with BMW for a Monday and let you know if the track slowed down. My understanding from other racers is the grip is still there so I would expect similar or lower times. Jim may chime in here with his opinon.
I would enjoy both riding and then getting some tips from you guys. I am doubting my AIM GPS lap time and have sent it off to AIM to look at. I think someone had a beacon set up in the hot pits somewhere and as I didn't tape over my IR "eye" i'm wondering if it didn't get confused (EDIT: There was a beacon set up in the Hot pit that set my timer off early). I set my GPS beacon on the S/F line, so that would explain a few seconds of discrepancy. I know I have a couple seconds to pick up there so that would place my best hotlap around the 1:26-7 mark, which sounds about right. I won't make the trip down for a DE again but i'm looking forward to either the PCA or NASA CR..

and yes Rick, I sure did notice ZZ..

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-15-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM
MacGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big thanks to those Potomac officers that once again put on a first class DE. You guy's are the best.

Those of you from New York, New Jesrsey and even Canada that came down to join us I am sure that you had a great time with the very warm temps on Friday and Saturday and we look forward to having you again soon.

Now for BSR.....shame on you!!!!

You have a facility that reaks of lack of attention. We consider this our home track but your lack of effort to take care of your facilities causes much concern. An example is not asphalting around the new gas pumps and having rocks large enough to cause flats on slicks. You asphalted 2 miles of track, 500 sq. ft. around the pumps to keep us from having flats is not asking to much. ( I will not elaborate on the restrooms.)

On sunday the pot holes in 3 (which are the line) where large enough to be dangerous and what the hell happened in 5 and 6 since last November. BSR should consider how bullet proof their waiver is when it comes to the massive hole at the end of the gator at 9 because someone will be hurt badly and it would take them maybe an hour to fix it.

The entire track is full of issues that could be corrected in just hours but there has been no effort on any of these issues since November. What a shame for a wonderful and historic track that we all love.

I know that I am being harsh and I intend to be because BSR deserves the critisism. It does not appear to be a $$$$ issue as the calander is full and the Federal Govt. is still filling any and all available dates for training. Shooting, blowing up cars, track training etc.

Okay, I get it, Black Suburbans practicing escape manuevers( I followed a convoy of six on Sunday morning into the track) or Secret Service, FBI and CIA agents blowing up cars and shooting automatic weapons all day probably do not care about cold asphalt patch in 10 that sprays on your car all day or the several feet of paint in 10 indicating a gator or the drop off around the entire track or the potholes in 3 or the railroad track like bumps in 5 & 6 or the most dangerous hole at the end of the gator at 9.

Let me say this I support our troops and the FBI, CIA and the Secret Service and enjoy seeing them there and thank them each time I see them for their service to our country but it very obvious to me who BSR's real customer is and it is not anyone participating in DE's. We are not their gravytrain, the Goverment is and this is why you are seeing their lack of effort. The Goverment is happy and we can go to hell. So I say great lets go to VIR and let Summit rot.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

good points mac. i agree that it is quite sad when a great track falls so far below par that it makes NHIS look like a FIA level facility.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

+1

Thunderbolt will be open soon.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Qwikrick-
Did anyone notice that one of the members of ZZ Top was flagging at track out of T9?

He's been there for a long while. He's the only one that does not wave back during pit-in after they've thrown the checkered. Too cool to wave.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I had no idea it was that bad >!>??
Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George3
Quickrick-

He's been there for a long while. He's the only one that does not wave back during pit-in after they've thrown the checkered. Too cool to wave.

He's usually in 10. Maybe he was grumpy since his usual tub was taken.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ZZ top was in the flagging station before the bridge after T9/a sharp dressed man.........
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Qwikrick-

Funny you say that. My instructor was getting agitated that ZZ Top wouldn't wave back. We finally got a wave, and later a polite nod.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

To put the proper spin on this, I need to provide further information... I support one of those agencies with my company, and used to be a gov't employee who trained at Summit and other locations around the WMA... I'm also (At least I think I am) a very good friend of Jim McNemar, and we've spent time in each others homes, and with our families together...

I've NEVER seen Jim McNemar hammer anyone or anything on the internet. Every. If anything, it's Jim telling me to ignore the A-holes and not to let them drag me down...

I haven't been to Summit since last November, but plan to go in May, twice. If it's so bad that one of the nicest and most easy going guys I know gets THIS UPSET with the conditions, it must be pretty darned bad...

Jim, I think you mighta just talked me into VIR club!

Mike

Originally Posted by MacGT3
Big thanks to those Potomac officers that once again put on a first class DE. You guy's are the best.

Those of you from New York, New Jesrsey and even Canada that came down to join us I am sure that you had a great time with the very warm temps on Friday and Saturday and we look forward to having you again soon.

Now for BSR.....shame on you!!!!

You have a facility that reaks of lack of attention. We consider this our home track but your lack of effort to take care of your facilities causes much concern. An example is not asphalting around the new gas pumps and having rocks large enough to cause flats on slicks. You asphalted 2 miles of track, 500 sq. ft. around the pumps to keep us from having flats is not asking to much. ( I will not elaborate on the restrooms.)

On sunday the pot holes in 3 (which are the line) where large enough to be dangerous and what the hell happened in 5 and 6 since last November. BSR should consider how bullet proof their waiver is when it comes to the massive hole at the end of the gator at 9 because someone will be hurt badly and it would take them maybe an hour to fix it.

The entire track is full of issues that could be corrected in just hours but there has been no effort on any of these issues since November. What a shame for a wonderful and historic track that we all love.

I know that I am being harsh and I intend to be because BSR deserves the critisism. It does not appear to be a $$$$ issue as the calander is full and the Federal Govt. is still filling any and all available dates for training. Shooting, blowing up cars, track training etc.

Okay, I get it, Black Suburbans practicing escape manuevers( I followed a convoy of six on Sunday morning into the track) or Secret Service, FBI and CIA agents blowing up cars and shooting automatic weapons all day probably do not care about cold asphalt patch in 10 that sprays on your car all day or the several feet of paint in 10 indicating a gator or the drop off around the entire track or the potholes in 3 or the railroad track like bumps in 5 & 6 or the most dangerous hole at the end of the gator at 9.

Let me say this I support our troops and the FBI, CIA and the Secret Service and enjoy seeing them there and thank them each time I see them for their service to our country but it very obvious to me who BSR's real customer is and it is not anyone participating in DE's. We are not their gravytrain, the Goverment is and this is why you are seeing their lack of effort. The Goverment is happy and we can go to hell. So I say great lets go to VIR and let Summit rot.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Gary, hopefully you got a chance to sit in the car with Jim (aka forklift). He is running low 23's on (were running similar times). I will be there end of the month with BMW for a Monday and let you know if the track slowed down. My understanding from other racers is the grip is still there so I would expect similar or lower times. Jim may chime in here with his opinon.
I missed the event but thinking about going on Friday for the FATT if work cooperates. My new diff and springs got me almost 1.5 at VIR so hoping for about half that at SPR when I get back. We'll see.

More than a few people are upset about the conditions at SPR. Damn shame.

Gary if your timer is right you are hauling some serious **** in a 3.2 at legal weight (and don't need any help from me!).
Old 04-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah missed this one myself due to sched conflicts. Will be at FATT on the 18th as well. Jim, I'll look for ya to say hi.

On a positive note, Maybe it is me but I don't think Summit Point Raceway is that bad... I just drove it last Mon and thought it was still a lot better than last summer. Sure the nice smooth fresh surface from last fall was awesome, grippy and did I say smooth.

A lot of complaints here about a lot of insignificant stuff. The hole in 9.. oh on the inside of the apex... please be sure not to be there

Agree that the faux curbing in umm interesting but in the slippery cold wet conditions last week I didn't find the paint to be the traction limiting surface. One tip, the true apex of 10 is well inside the faux paint and even in the wet inside lightly weighted tires won't complain about it.

Cheers. remember a day at the track is always better than... (insert whatever you want here)

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Gary if your timer is right you are hauling some serious **** in a 3.2 at legal weight (and don't need any help from me!).
Jim, it's a stock 3.0L and my GPS is working great. The caveat is it appears someone had an AIM transmitter hidden somewhere in the Hot pit and it tripped the IR sensor I have and skewed my times. Basically it tripped my lap beacon end point around the pit-out area somewhere and I had my GPS beacon set at the S/F line. I would guess (and that's about all I can do) that my real times are a few seconds off what was displayed and that with some help I will be down in the same area again, at least close.

I have since taped over the "eye" in my IR receiver and won't have this problem again. Goes with the territory with learning the in's and out's of a fancy-pants system like the AIM..
Old 04-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Qwikrick-

It's not that he's "too cool" to wave back - he just has a hard time seeing you wave since he's legally blind. He also supervised the painting of the inside curbing at T10.

Quick Reply: Summit on 4/12-13 with Potomac - Hooz goin?