Sponsored by:

Why aren't there more ladies......

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I have been trying to talk my wife into trying out a DE or at least an auto cross. She kind of wants to but is unsure. She came over to one of my DE's and noticed there were no girls doing this hobby too.
Does your region do a "Taste of the Track?" Maybe you can ask your wife to attend that way - do the classrooms to learn what it is about, and then have an instructor take her around the track (her being the passenger, naturally) -- maybe that would help get her interested. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Just as deep_uv said, Texas women seem to be coming out to the track in increasing numbers. Many of them are very fast, and being Texas women, very easy on the eyes as well.

I brought my 18yo daughter along to the last DE. She drove her Jetta, got it up to 120mph, and much to her and her instructor's delight, managed to dust off a few Porsches in the process. She will be back to the track with me in May.

I've told our other daughter, who is 15 & learning to drive right now, that if she can make it to 18 without an accident, she can do the same thing. My wife won't be driving on the track. Let's just say other sports beckon.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Does your region do a "Taste of the Track?" Maybe you can ask your wife to attend that way - do the classrooms to learn what it is about, and then have an instructor take her around the track (her being the passenger, naturally) -- maybe that would help get her interested. Just a thought.
Nope my region does not offer anything like that. I wish there was some sort of a program that offered:

1st timer check out the track morning
1- sit in the classroom session
2- ride around the track with an instructor 2 laps
3- you get to drive your car around the track with instructor and somewhat reduced speeds to check it out and see if this is something you want to do. 4 laps max speeds just slightly over parade lap.

The problem I have run into with my wife and with talking to other people with Porsches, Vettes, M3's and so forth I meet is they think they want to try this and see if it is something for them but they do not want to go out and invest the $1000 for 1 day at the track just to see.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have quite a few female drivers at our DEs, although no where near as many as we do male drivers. We have many Female instructors and two of our CIs are females. We hold a Ladies Day each year, where all students are female (URGs are mixed). The turnout has been strong each year.

I find that many wives are like mine. She is very supportive of my addiction to tracks, but sees those days as her opportunity to do what she enjoys doing on her own or with her lady friends. She has come to the track a couple of times, and both times her assessment has been "it is hot, dirty, smelly and LOUD". I tell her "EXACTLY!".
Old 03-02-2008, 10:23 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Nope my region does not offer anything like that. I wish there was some sort of a program that offered:

3- you get to drive your car around the track with instructor and somewhat reduced speeds to check it out and see if this is something you want to do. 4 laps max speeds just slightly over parade lap.

The problem I have run into with my wife and with talking to other people with Porsches, Vettes, M3's and so forth I meet is they think they want to try this and see if it is something for them but they do not want to go out and invest the $1000 for 1 day at the track just to see.

Maybe you can suggest it to your DE team. It is approved by PCA. It is not to give hotlaps with - but to get folks that think they may be interested a chance to see from the inside what it is all about.

Many times I've watched people who sign up for Taste of the Track get upset they didn't sign up for Green instead...

Now for this lady - I've learned how to control my car (I loved spinning out on Rte 278 in a freak hail storm) and I've been known to drive through some of the worst storms and blizzards the North can deal out to us. But honestly, I love organizing DEs but some folks don't understand why I don't want to do the event. I have been spotted on the track, but with maybe one more car with me. I don't car for other cars near me - I guess that's why I try to lead when I'm on I-95 -- Maybe it was because of driving the streets of Manhattan -- one of the best obstacle courses I know (though I am not as aggressive as hubby who has actually gone up onto the sidewalk to pass a truck unloading and blocking traffic) but well, let's say, the UPS truck and I have had many moments playing on the side streets...

Cars are wonderful - they can be great fun and they can be killers. I think the whole sport of DEs are wonderful - I'd love to see more people get involved with them, especially young, inexperienced drivers. I'm against street racing. And I do wish that PCA would lower it's mandatory 18 years of age with a license - to anyone with a legal State Drivers License.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

When Arnie saw this thread, he thought I would be the better one to respond. In case you don't know, I have been an instructor with PCA, Chin, and other groups for a number of years now. I have also mentored for PCA's national instructor program.

OK, so why aren't there more women involved? Women certainly have the ability to be just as good drivers as men. After all, this is a sport of intelligence, technique, consistency, patience, and finesse, not one of brute strength. I hear some women say they are intimidated by the attitude of some men out on the track. They hear stories of crashes, inappropriate track behavior, lack of patience, and poor judgement.

Hey, guys, why would women want to get involved in this sport when they see instructors crash the first lap out in the first session of the first day of an event. These are the instructors that might get into the car with them as their instructor! Not exactly a confidence builder!

That said, it has been a personal mission of mine to get more women involved. Sometimes, it has taken several years before I persuade a woman to take the plunge; at other times, I succeed pretty quickly. I have seen a pained expression on the face of more than one man when I suggest that his wife or girlfriend might like to get involved and drive his precious car! I kept after one such man, and he finally was shamed into "letting" his wife drive. She had a blast, and it is now a sport they really enjoy together.

When I meet a woman who is interested, I suggest that she ask for me as her first instructor. We have already have had fun chatting together, so it makes the whole thing less intimidating.

Arnie and I came to the VIR area from the Northeast Region of PCA where a LOT of women were involved. North Country Region was similar. Both regions were very encouraging to women participants, running classroom introductory programs yearly, pairing women students up with fun instructors who would encourage them, rather than push them before they were ready. Many instructors will tell you that they much prefer women students, as they really want to learn technique and build up the speed through driving better, not wanting to go fast first before they have learned the line, etc.

So, start with your young daughters and bring them to the track as mini-track rats. Let them hand you tools at home in the garage and at the track. Explain things to them. Get them involved. Encourage them. When they get a little older, give them a taste by having them do autocross. Sure, autocross driving is totally different from DE and racing, but it is a good place to learn car control.

For those with an adult lady in their lives, be encouraging and talk to women drivers you know to find out their next event, then get your wife or girlfriend signed up for that event, too. That way, she won't be the only one!

As a couple, it is frankly a lot more fun for Arnie and me to enjoy the sport with other couples — Joyce and Bruce, Kellie and Dell, Coco and Phil, Kristin and Dave, to name just a few. Besides, who wants to have a disgruntled spouse at home who feels left out?

So, if you bring your lady to VIR, look up Arnie and me, and I'll talk to her about just how much fun it is.

TBC/Margo

Last edited by ZAPmobile; 03-02-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: forgot signature
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Well said Margo.

One thing for sure - start them off young!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Maybe you all need better looking instructors. My wife is sitting here with me and she said if Helio Castroneves or Niko Rosberg where instructing she would sign up. Hey at least she watches the races with me!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
See Adrienne's avatar.
It' my desktop background..
Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 PM
TraqBayB
Intermediate

My 2 cents... I would love to see more women in DE too. Here's my story... My former husband bought a 944 for my son & I to "share". Alex decided to join PCA and since we "shared" the car he decided it was only fair that he would list me as his family member. Then he thought he'd like to try DE - he had just turned 18, and as his dad was always too busy to do anything with anyone - it was up to me to accompany Alex to the track -- at first he drove the 944 and I followed in my Toyota minivan with tent, etc and we camped at the track. His first instructor was a woman -- I was impressed. She took me out to show me what she was teaching my son. I lasted 3 laps and wanted out!! (I'm not a good passenger, especially on the track) ... I was content to take Alex and just hang out. I met a lot of good people who have supported me through my separation and continue to be my primary social circle.

Anyway, one sunny August morning after his run session, my son approached me and said, "Mom?... you like to drive, don't you?" ...I just looked up at him and said, "Yeah, you know I do. Why?" He sorta shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Then why aren't you doing this?" -- Hmmm, THAT was the million dollar question. The following spring I signed up for Rennsport's Ground School, and haven't looked back. I exchanged a husband who was too busy to do anything with me, for a life of a track rat. The woman who was my son's first instructor, was also my first instructor at LCMT, my first instructor at Mosport, the Glen and just for old times sake, at Calabogie (where she promptly signed me off). She is also my best friend, even though we live 60 miles apart. I met my sweetie through PCA (at a DE that I wasn't even driving at - hundreds of miles from his home track). Many of you here know him - he's RedlineMan. You never know how DE might change your life - for the better! It did mine.

And, Thanks Boston! ...for starting a thread I would have liked to have started but wasn't sure how.

PS - Alex is now the sole owner of our "shared" 944 and I have one of my own - although I tend to drive RedlineMan's "bucket" at the track.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
So, start with your young daughters and bring them to the track as mini-track rats. Let them hand you tools at home in the garage and at the track. Explain things to them. Get them involved. Encourage them. When they get a little older, give them a taste by having them do autocross. Sure, autocross driving is totally different from DE and racing, but it is a good place to learn car control.
+1
Attached Images          
Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha;

All you guys poo pooing this idea, and that have learned this trick previously, oughta dig out that Vaseline you used behind your ears at times over the years. It is a such a moment yet again. The heads of the rest will surely stay stuck just where they've been! Having a car driving track sweety is awesome.

Thanks to - of all people - Boston for starting the thread that my sweety has wanted to for a long time.
--------------------------------------------------
Reporting live from Brockville, Ontario, CA.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:05 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As former track chairs, we are amazed at the number of people who don't realize that you can run a program for a "taste of track" (or whatever you wish to call it) and let people ride in an instructor's car during a regular session, as long as they sign the waivers. Charge $10 or $20 and donate it to charity or a helmet loaner program, etc.

The critical thing, of course, is that they must sign the waivers. This type of program is more effective if the instructor runs in a lower run group, driving at a more moderate speed that is appropriate for that run group.

TBC/Margo
Old 03-02-2008, 01:34 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

TraqBayB, that is a nice story. I am glad you are having a ball at the track and it was my pleasure meeting you at Calabogie last year.....
Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan

Thanks to - of all people - Boston for starting the thread that my sweety has wanted to for a long time.
Wow, RedlineMan..... that is the nicest thing you have ever said about me over the time I have spent getting an education here at RL.........

Yes, we definetly need more women at the track. I am working on having my wife giving it a try it this season.......

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more ladies......