Sponsored by:

Why aren't there more ladies......

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:42 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Just wait until Hurricane/Riot/Tornado/Termite season!!!
Yeah, yeah, we had tornado warnings [B][I]and[B][I] watches last night along with nearly an inch of very badly-needed but often-horizontal rain. The lightening that accompanied the storm was spectacular!

We moved down from NH where there were five seasons, two of which Arnie had never met before. Guess which two they were:

Summer (beautiful)
Fall (gorgeous)
Winter (great for skiing)
Mud Season and, of course,
Black Fly Season.

Arnie used to say that I would go out the door, and, being the crusty old New Englander that I am, the black flies parted like the Red Sea. He would head out, and they would all buzz, "Hey, fresh meat!" and devour him.

Mud season was easy; we just stayed off the back roads and went the long ways around.

I feel for you this winter where there have been record snows. We just chatted with a friend today who said that on Lake Winnepesauke, the snow is above his second story guest windows. The ice dams have been brutal, we gather. He talked about six-inch dams. Ugh! I remember all too well getting three stories up on the ladder at the back of the house where the land fell away, and taking my trusty old L.L. Bean camping axe to chip away at the stubborn ice along the roof edge. Jacking up the car and changing brake pads is easy!

BTW, he is leaving early next week to join us at VIR. He has already found the trailer under all that snow and taken it to his shop where the car will have its pre-event tune-up.

TBC/Margo
Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait until Hurricane/Riot/Tornado/Termite season!!!
Let's see
Termite season - is now and we (SC) are proud to be #1 in Termites in the USA
Hurricanes - we haven't had a direct hit since 1865 - right after the American Civil War - knock wood (unlike Wilmington, NC where hurricanes love to make fun of them - and go past - spin back and hit again...)
Tornados - we had one near by several years ago - it was a wonderful help - Port Royal had it's Main St. rebuilt and looks great - in fact, it has attracted many tourists

Come to the South to visit - and just remember, a Northerner down here visiting is a tourist -- but one who stays, no matter where they are from are Damn Yankees... except me - I'm an uh-oh New-Yoooorker.... LOL
Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Let's see
Termite season - is now and we (SC) are proud to be #1 in Termites in the USA
Hurricanes - we haven't had a direct hit since 1865 - right after the American Civil War - knock wood (unlike Wilmington, NC where hurricanes love to make fun of them - and go past - spin back and hit again...)
Tornados - we had one near by several years ago - it was a wonderful help - Port Royal had it's Main St. rebuilt and looks great - in fact, it has attracted many tourists

Come to the South to visit - and just remember, a Northerner down here visiting is a tourist -- but one who stays, no matter where they are from are Damn Yankees... except me - I'm an uh-oh New-Yoooorker.... LOL
Driven through and flown over the Carolinas ...
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This question is for the ladies only.........

How would you rate your overall experience at the track?

How would you rate the male track attendees? (from whatever point you think is appropriate)

Charming, Cool, Snobbish, Dorkish or Clueless?

Why am I asking? Just to have an idea of what my wife will say on her first DE event......

Thank you for your input ladies, I hope to see more of you at the track........
Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I would look up at them, saying, "Gee, thanks. I'm really new at this, so that really means a lot!"
I just imagined what the look on my face would have been if you had said that to me and the satisfaction you would get from seeing that look on my face and started laughing out loud. PLEASE, if I ever come up to you and say that, spare my ego and just say thanks!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:39 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I just imagined what the look on my face would have been if you had said that to me and the satisfaction you would get from seeing that look on my face and started laughing out loud. PLEASE, if I ever come up to you and say that, spare my ego and just say thanks!
Actually, when that did happen, I was new, and it didn't occur to me to laugh, out loud or otherwise. Now, the way you worded the quote above, it did make me laugh out loud. With you, I hope, not at you!

That said, I do like passing other cars, just as anyone does. All of us here are adicted to this sport. Arnie still loves it when he gets compliments for my driving.

On another note, Arnie and I really enjoyed watching you race at the 13 hours at VIR last year. We were coming in for a Chin event and saw the last hour or so of the race from the paddock out by Oak Tree and the Back Straight, cheering madly for the only 911 still running! Great going!

Take care,

TBC/Margo
Old 03-06-2008, 01:14 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

How would you rate your overall experience at the track? Love it, although we were chasing some car issues last year stemming from its maturity.

How would you rate the male track attendees? (from whatever point you think is appropriate). As with any group, most of the people are really great, while there are always a few who are less than charming. That said, Arnie's and my best friends as a couple are others whom we have met at the track. These are enduring friendships that we treasure. It seems for us, and perhaps even more for me, that many of my students become really good friends and still ask me to go out in their cars, even when they become instructors themselves. That's really cool in my book.

Charming, Cool, Snobbish, Dorkish or Clueless? All of the above. We are, after all, a cross-section. Maybe this is the place for a funny story...

A year or so ago, when we were at a track (that shall remain nameless), I was behind a car(that shall remain unidentified) lap after lap after lap after... The driver had an instructor in the car, so I hazarded a few gentle back and forths to catch anyone's attention in the mirror...to no avail. It was my last session of the last day, so it was frustrating, to say the least.

We came off the track, and Arnie knew something was up when I didn't pull into our paddock area, but rather followed the car back to its area. I took a deep breath, got out, approached the offending car, knelt down beside the driver's door, and said, "Hello" to the two helmeted occupants. Then, I gently asked if something was wrong with the mirrors, directing it more to the instructor than to the driver.

"Which car were you?" he asked.

"It's rather hard to miss after six or seven laps," I said indicating our car.

They sheepishly apologized, and I headed back to our paddock area, relaying the indident to Arnie and Dell.

A while later, a gentleman came up and it turned out to be the driver. He apologized profusely again and said, "You proably don't remember me, but I had you at Road Atlanta. I tell everyone that you were my best instructor!"

We had a good laugh, and it was a reminder just how nice people can be, even if there are lapses out there.

Why am I asking? Just to have an idea of what my wife will say on her first DE event...... Next time you go to one of the NER, NCR, RSR, etc. events up there, look up Fran or Joyce or Susana or Caryl or Speedy Louise or ... Any one of them would be happy to speak to your wife and tell them how much fun they have on the track.

Take care,

TBC
Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Driven through and flown over the Carolinas ...
IMHO the carolinas are pretty much the best states in the Union. I love Charlotte, just can't really work there.

We have quite a few lady instructors in Suncoast as noted by Tom Kerr.

Personally, I would rather keep my car hobby to myself. It is my time away from the SO.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951

Personally, I would rather keep my car hobby to myself. It is my time away from the SO.
While I don't feel the same way, I'm surprised that we haven't heard this more often in this thread, because I hear it all the time in paddock discussions of this topic.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
While I don't feel the same way, I'm surprised that we haven't heard this more often in this thread, because I hear it all the time in paddock discussions of this topic.
Hey, guys, let'e remember the topic of this thread, "Why Aren't There More Ladies..." not "How can I keep her barefoot and pregnant and at home"
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with Arnie on this one. I absolutely love having my wife (and newborn) in the paddock. It's even better to see my wife driving as well! I take more pride in her driving than my own. Sure, it's nice to have those times away from your SO but the track is a family environment. If you want your time away, take up golf But then again, I also love playing golf with my wife.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:05 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

YEP, I've heard that at a few dinners.... mostly from the (long time) married folks... (with kids) Not so much from the single guys...

whats up with that?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

How would you rate your overall experience at the track?
Great! I have a more positive experience at the PCA events than other events. But track time is always, always enjoyable!!

How would you rate the male track attendees? (from whatever point you think is appropriate)
Charming, Cool, Snobbish, Dorkish or Clueless?
Yes, all of the above. Lots of geeks, which I find particularly endearing, some are charming, which I enjoy, not many snobs or at least I don't talk with them for obvious reasons, not many dorks, clueless sure, some.

Why am I asking? Just to have an idea of what my wife will say on her first DE event......
Your wife will likely have to deal with some guys not allowing her to pass, particularly if they drive red corvettes (ha!! Sorry, inside joke from personal experience). Generally at the entry level guys have a bit more of an issue dealing with their ego and "allowing" a lady to pass. It's not always the case, but sometimes. By the higher levels the passing/ego game has played itself out. In preparation, you might gently suggest to your wife that she may have to ride some bumpers and get more aggressive with it, or be prepared to have a talk with drivers, similar to what ZAPmobile did.

Speaking generally, I find some guys are excessively impressed when they find out I'm a lady driver, and some make sure to point out that they or more likely their buddy was passed by a lady. It's funny at times, but it's a bit of a back-handed compliment. I do not experience this as much at PCA events though, as those guys seem to appreciate skill regardless of gender. They almost always wonder how I became interested in the track, and that's always a good conversation starter.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It might not be the sort of sentiment folks would want to voice on a public forum? just guessing here...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did events with and without my wife. Both ways have their pluses and minuses. We do enjoy doing stuff together (as we should, I guess) but once in a while we both like to have our own "me" time. It's not like she is bored to tears when I am away at the track (I think this a setup for a joke at my expense here )

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more ladies......