Why aren't there more ladies......

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have two High Performance Driving Clinics each year which combine car control, braking, and skid pad exercises with classroom. The afternoon is run as a mini-DE.

Two years ago, I invited my daughter to attend and gave her the choice of car; either her G35S or my Boxster S. Growing up she and her little brother were my main pit crew during the SCCA racing years. She chose her car and never had to learn how to give passing signals.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkSideDE
Well said Margo.
One thing for sure - start them off young!
Last season my son helped a new kart driver at our local track by doing some lead follows

She was 4 1/2 years old, driving a 50cc Kid Kart.
After driving, she would jump out of the kart and run back to the trailer to play with her Barbies and wait until her next track session.

There are some very good girls in karting today.....one of whom I keep telling my son is his future wife (beautiful, incredible driver, loves karts/cars......pretty much the ideal daughter in law).
Old 03-02-2008, 07:47 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best times I've had with my younger daughter. She did two DE's last year in the Boxster S. Had a blast and did great with the help of her two instructors, Janice and Kathy. She was signed up for the Jan DE in the 924 but unfortunately it was cancelled & she's off to grad school.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend to any guys who are coming to the sport new, to get your wife/girlfriend/daughter involved with you right away. Jupe did this with me way back before we were married. His first autocross was my first autocross. We learned how to do it together. Later, his first track event was my first track event. We learned how to do it together.

I'm nowhere near the driver DrJupeman is, but I've driven seven tracks and have a whole bunch of track days. I totally get the adrenaline rush--it's hot! Once I'm not chasing kids around so much, maybe I'll get back into it.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, that a beautiful little girl you have. I can tell she is a lot of fun.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Steve, that a beautiful little girl you have. I can tell she is a lot of fun.
Having seen photos of Steve, he must also have a very good looking wife, for which his daughter is very lucky!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah. Beauty is not paternal in this case.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Having seen photos of Steve, he must also have a very good looking wife, for which his daughter is very lucky!
I've met the entire family. Not only is his daughter better looking than Steve, she is smarter than him too. In both cases, just like his wife.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Hey Randy - just like your case! And thankfully, mine. The girls take after Mom, not good old dad. Although, they get their appreciation of P-cars from dad!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You guys just proved another point....

We need women at the track to balance out the.......should we say, "lack of esthetics" of the current population....
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

AMEN! Working on mom but she is resisting. Has her choice of two tame (slow carz) and one quicker (but more safe).
Old 03-02-2008, 10:27 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, guys. I think.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Wow, RedlineMan..... that is the nicest thing you have ever said about me over the time I have spent getting an education here at RL.........
Well...

You did create your RL personna as the nail that sticks up a bit above floor height, after all. I think I've been pretty fair, especially relative to others. I've only provided a little maintenance, not Chop Cut, Rebuild.

I met my sweety at the track, and we continue to share it together. And did I mention the side benefits? I get eggs any style/oatmeal/french toast/pancakes with bacon or sausage, steak with onions & mushrooms, chops, pasta, ...and clean dishes, clean truck, a fresh pot of coffee every morning............ She drives my car and for the last 3 years has benefitted from my driving instruction.

I did it on my own for 14 years. I'm likin' this! I know it's rare, but it's great if you can find it.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:15 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mr. Hajny, you are a lucky man...... congrats......
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's great to see this discussion take off. OK, you others out there, get your ladies to come to the track. And you ladies, get your friends to come. We know of several "single" ladies who have their own cars and come. It's funny to see all the men out there lining up to lend a helping hand.

To all ladies and young ladies. This is a great sport. As I wrote earlier, all it takes is intelligence, patience, and finesse, along with technique which you'll learn from your instructor)!

I have a women student at the upcoming Zone 2 PCAs event at VIR, and I really looking forward to meeting her, instructing her, and infecting her with my enthusiasm.

And if there are any other ladies out there who are coming to the event, whether as a driver or spectator, have them come meet me. I'll be happy to chat with them. We always have a sociable paddock area, and our car is hard to miss (see left for a photo of the ZAPmobile), as long as we are able to pick it up this week from the shop!

TBC/Margo

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more ladies......