Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007 | 02:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Was just messing with ya bud. For a good resize with adjustable compression levels (great for avatars) try Advanced Jpeg Compressor - http://www.winsoftmagic.com/. For a good graphics viewer and manipulator try IRFranview - http://www.irfanview.com/ .. Any pictures of the Amazon 964 on track? BTW - You'd look great in my orange monster! Sell the 928!
Old 11-17-2007 | 02:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Was just messing with ya bud. For a good resize with adjustable compression levels (great for avatars) try Advanced Jpeg Compressor - http://www.winsoftmagic.com/. For a good graphics viewer and manipulator try IRFranview - http://www.irfanview.com/ .. Any pictures of the Amazon 964 on track? BTW - You'd look great in my orange monster! Sell the 928!
Just of Cindy driving. I have some great shots coming to me from the track photographer. Those poor PS2's were rolling over on their sidewalls.

Here is one of Cindy. She just loves DE, He He good for me. Can't believe I stayed away for 18 years.

Thanks for the links I will check them out.

I will send you some better ones when I get them.

I am torn. I enjoy the GTS for summer drives down the shore. Not quite ready to part with her yet and definitely not ready to trailer 2 cars. Would need to buy a dually for that. Wish I had the money for yours and store it. I showed it to Cindy and this time she let me have it and not in the good way. The last one is after her triple spin plowing the fields on Sunday.

Hope all is well.
Attached Images     
Old 11-17-2007 | 04:45 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Awesome that Cindy is having a blast with DE! Sorry I missed out on the event, school tends to get in the way sometimes

Amazon looks great out on track. I love that 964 of yours!
Old 11-17-2007 | 06:24 PM
mccullough
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
My student sent me on one of the wildest rides on Saturday afternoon that I've ever been on...

He had been gaining speed on the front straight and I had been telling him that its OK to go that fast, as long as you are steady on the wheel, and as long as you DON'T lift through the kink.

Well, we're flying out of hogpen, coming up to the kink, and he decides he should be over a little further to the right, and gives it a quick little right hand snap with the wheel. I'm almost certain that when I saw his hands move out of the corner of my eye that I said "Oh S*(T" - and immediately the car's rear snapped to the left. Then it snapped back to the right and we went right by the guardrail that is next to the tree right at the kink.

When proceeded to start a series of 2 counter-clockwise spins, most of which happened off track.

As the car slowed its spin rate on the second spin, I could see that our trajectory was straight toward the corner station that is out in the field to the left of the straight. Our spin slowed to the point that we were facing backward at a pretty high rate of speed heading right toward the corner station.

I braced for impact, wondering what a rear impact was going to be like.

When I saw the corner station go by on my ride side, I've never been more relieved in my entire life.

We eventually came to a stop out in the field, pretty much facing T1.
Sorry I'm so late to this party......

Brian, your student had just passed my student (black Boxster) coming onto the straight, so I saw the whole sordid event. From our vantage point, it looked like your student got a wheel off on the right at the kink but apparently that wasn't the case. My guy handled it well with a very slight breathe when he saw you getting a bit wonky and stayed right on his line. I watched you guys spinning towards the flag station tires and I was sure you were gonna catch them but swerved slightly to the right which saved you. My student kept his concentration and I remember complimenting him and telling him that I thought you guys were now in the next county!

In any case, it had a good effect on my guy. He was getting very close to the right edge of the track at the kink and I kept telling him to stay about a foot to the left or else we'd be going for a ride. After your incident, he was *very* diligent about doing as I suggested. Strange how lessons are learned sometimes.

--- Tom
Old 11-17-2007 | 07:05 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh Cobalt;

Yur killin me, Brother. A wife that loves DE, and not one... but TWO amazon cars? An AMAZON GTS? I wasn't reading sigs closely enough. Oh... you've GOT to sell that heretical front engine V8. It's a toad. Um... can I have dibs?

Good lord. I was looking at your C2 all weekend. I'm transfixed by Amazon cars. One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE P-car colors. The complexity of that hue never ceases to amaze me. I never knew they did a 928 in that shade, let alone a GTS. You have no idea how lucky you are. Back in the day, know which car was the favorite of the Porsche workers? Yep... 928 GTS' ruled!

I had a student with a GTS years ago at the Glen. I distinctly remember riding around in that uber-rocket with the freakin AC on the whole time. He was kinda timid in turn 2, but was not with the Essses proper, for some odd reason. Once, we kind of held up a line of cars going into 2 (a brand new-at-the-time 993 was right behind us), but then he gets his courage up, romps on it exiting 2, and I see 125 on the clock onto the back straight, and not a car in sight behind us. It was a 90* day, but we were in temp controlled comfort. What an awesome car!

I'll stop slobbering now and go back to my Yarpivo Russian Lager.
Old 11-17-2007 | 07:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the pictures Anthony. Cindy was grinning big time all weekend!
Old 11-18-2007 | 10:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I had to cancel last year because my engine rebuild wasn't completed on time and gave plenty of heads up. The TC said I could use the funds towards one of their next three events. I'm in Charleston, SC, so that was out. I asked several times to apply it to next year and got no answer. I emailed again this year several times to apply it to this year and got no answer. What ever happened to the courtesy of responding? Nobody is that busy.

I just figured that's the way it's done up north...

Originally Posted by Minoclan
You people will appreciate this story. I had my track car for sale for a few months. I signed up for this VIR event a while ago. The Saturday before the event a buyer pulled the trigger on the car. ( He told me that I could take the car to VIR, but I didn't think that it would be right). I promptly sent the track chair an email about what happened and canceled. I explained that I did not want to take my new GT3 to the track without the requisite rear suspension/alignment work. Now I know NNJR has a 10 day cancellation rule, BUT the track chair told me that he would tear up the check. On Thursday the check cleared my account. SO, I ended up paying $375 (blue run group) for this event and didn't even get to witness all of this fun stuff. My follow up emails remain unanswered. As annoyed as I was, I think that this thread has done wonders to help me to cool down a little bit. I thought that it was just me. Thanks.

P.S. There are some very nice people in this club! (Bull and Thomas included)
Old 11-19-2007 | 09:23 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

A little late to this party.... I took a few extra days after VIR to vacation in NC.

A BIG thanks to Brian for showing me the track, and for dinner out with Chris and Randall. Made all the difference. Now I know the track, AND a good Italian place....... Great meeting you guys!

No, the event wasn't perfect, and I'm sorry you got stuck, Jim. Brian is getting free spinny rides out into fields of green grass and you're stuck working. Maybe he can show you those fields next year.

I had to leave early for what sounded like a broken rocker. Turns out to be more like a rod knock, so in I go. Guess I needed a winter project after all. I'm only sorry that I didn't successfully capture any of my exceptional runs on video. Stupid camera, or more likely the operator. Might be time for a video upgrade as well.

Hope to see you guys next year, as I'll be back to VIR many more times. My new favorite!
Old 11-19-2007 | 09:56 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Proof you were there.

Old 11-19-2007 | 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Oh Cobalt;

Yur killin me, Brother. A wife that loves DE, and not one... but TWO amazon cars? An AMAZON GTS? I wasn't reading sigs closely enough. Oh... you've GOT to sell that heretical front engine V8. It's a toad. Um... can I have dibs?

Good lord. I was looking at your C2 all weekend. I'm transfixed by Amazon cars. One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE P-car colors. The complexity of that hue never ceases to amaze me. I never knew they did a 928 in that shade, let alone a GTS. You have no idea how lucky you are. Back in the day, know which car was the favorite of the Porsche workers? Yep... 928 GTS' ruled!

I had a student with a GTS years ago at the Glen. I distinctly remember riding around in that uber-rocket with the freakin AC on the whole time. He was kinda timid in turn 2, but was not with the Essses proper, for some odd reason. Once, we kind of held up a line of cars going into 2 (a brand new-at-the-time 993 was right behind us), but then he gets his courage up, romps on it exiting 2, and I see 125 on the clock onto the back straight, and not a car in sight behind us. It was a 90* day, but we were in temp controlled comfort. What an awesome car!

I'll stop slobbering now and go back to my Yarpivo Russian Lager.

Thanks,

Sorry to get so far off subject. But since were there. The GTS is a blast for a big and lazy. The 5 speed makes all the difference. I have over sized sways and bilstein sport suspension so it handles quite well. I might have to take her out one of these events, although quite the change from driving the C2 which I never get tired of.

I agree Amazon is such a great color They made a total of 10 GTS's in Amazon and all but mine have gray interior and only one other 5 speed. I prefer the cashmere with amazon. After the GTS it wasn't hard to convince Cindy to buy the C2 being the same color combo.

Bull,

Your right all smiles. Ever since she tried it on ladies day (took me 15 years of trying to get her out there) I have not been able to keep here away. She was the one who said buy the trailer for the Glen and now she wants to know what tires we are going to use for next season. She is also set to start making advanced hotel reservations for every event next year, need to win the "golden ticket". Ironic how she fought it for so long. The first thing she said after ladies day was "Why didn't you convince me to do this sooner". Wish I had that on tape. You guys better watch out in a couple of years she is going to be chasing you down she's a quick learner.
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apex Rex
Awesome that Cindy is having a blast with DE! Sorry I missed out on the event, school tends to get in the way sometimes

Amazon looks great out on track. I love that 964 of yours!
I hear ya. Sorry we missed you and your dad. School is tough but it will be over before you know. Enjoy the fun while it lasts.
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:49 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

Thank you, John. I may have to buy some of those track photos.

That's a nice shot of me, except for that persistently slow car in front.... Kidding.

Shame I didn't connect that was your car/you. I think you said your wife was driving in Blue/White, or maybe it was you slumming it. I usually run in Black but it was full. In hindsight, I liked the smaller run group in White so I felt lucky. As it was my first time at the track, going slower and not having that pressure really helped.

I'll look you up next time. Thanks again for the photo!

Glenn
Old 11-19-2007 | 10:56 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by purplehaze.
Thank you, John. I may have to buy some of those track photos.

That's a nice shot of me, except for that persistently slow car in front.... Kidding.

Shame I didn't connect that was your car/you. I think you said your wife was driving in Blue/White, or maybe it was you slumming it. I usually run in Black but it was full. In hindsight, I liked the smaller run group in White so I felt lucky. As it was my first time at the track, going slower and not having that pressure really helped.

I'll look you up next time. Thanks again for the photo!

Glenn
I think that is his GF, with John in the right seat....holding her back....
Old 11-19-2007 | 11:17 AM
purplehaze.
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
LOL Too funny.

GF I meant, not wife.
Old 11-19-2007 | 02:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Na... I want her to GO!

How do small people make themselves bigger? She's been trained to think of herself as "incapable" by her lovely soon-to-be-ex-husband. What an utter distortion of reality that is. She is only short of confidence, not ability or awareness. Once we get the H&T thing down, look out!

Quick Reply: The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...