Sponsored by:

The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 06:14 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD for President...
I agree with the first part of your statement, but I totally disagree with the argument that this is a grey area or that it is easier to spot someone taking a pass without a signal. If someone passes you without a signal, you should be completely ashamed of yourself. Rather than whining to a CI, you should examine why you couldn't manage to get your arm out the window faster or why you were not aware enough to see that coming. If everyone worried about themselves first before worrying about others, the CIs would probably have more fun at the track, and since volunteering for a non-profit club is a pretty crappy job, we all owe it to make the CIs job as easy and "whine-free" as possible.
That's My favorite Part

Hey its amazing how most things in life come back to Personal Responsibility
Old 11-21-2007 | 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I thought this thread was dead??

BTW whats and asshat?

I will say there were some occurrences where I was held up after the oak tree and down the straight, had passing speed, only to get the point by just before the crest of the hill. I was moving at a good clip and the GT3 coming up but not quite yet behind must have been expecting a passing signal on my right at the 200 mark as I started braking. Yes I was out wide because of the late pass I was given, although I think it was not required for me to give a pass at such a late point and already heading into the turn. Knowing the straight had ended I felt it unsafe to give a point by as it technically was no longer a passing zone. He came in too hot on my right forcing me offline as though we were racing. He had an instructor in the car and I am glad I was watching closely, swung wide as he came in on my inside. If I cut my apex (late apex for the right hander) we would have collided no doubt. I saw a lot of this happening. I know the GT3 pitted right after and I would have given him an immediate pass once we hit the straight but IMO this driver was a bit too aggressive for DE and he did it again later in the day to someone else as I watched from behind.

I also found it annoying that I had some occurrences where I was given a passing signal and made my move only to have a faster car come up on my left while I was passing. I wouldn't mind because of shear HP although with their extra power they could have given me a chance to take my pass before trying to pass me. Worse yet, I found myself having to brake where I could to not rear end these "faster" cars in the turns. They might have been able to pass me in the straights but through some parts of the track their lines weren't as good or fast and that pisses me off just as much as faster cars not being given the pass for shear Hp advantage in the straights.

Bobby, I have to admit I haven't missed a shift in years and I too shifted into 5th once instead of 3rd. What a way to loose your concentration. I also found turn 4 greasy at the end of Sunday and put 2 off myself while taking the turn as I had normally done before although I was low on fuel and this might have contributed.

I will say that while taking pictures of the red and black run groups along with the few times I went out in the red run group I was surprised to see that about 25% of the cars were not giving signals and being passed. The people I went out with backed off and did not pass unless a signal was given although that was not always the case with some.
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:12 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Originally Posted by 930man
BobbyC.... i have been instructing for quite a few events..... i will leave that at that .. but that was totally uncalled for in the pits.. unacceptable unjustified... i can understand when adrenline is pumping on the track people will take a pass they shouldnt have blah blah ... as stated in the majority of this thread..
but the ci or pit bosses do not and should not have the drill instructor mentality ... if what happened is as you say ... i would hope someone from nnjr would read this and bring this up at their " meetings"... the more i think about it brow beeting in the pits the ???

i hope it never hapens to you or anyone else again!
I think Knute thoroughly enjoys yelling at people and even gets off on it. Or at least that is the appearance he likes to give off. I think this is also the reason that Knute is a CI and pit boss. To instill a fear of doing something wrong and forced to see him and get yelled at. Maybe they think that if they have a push over in the pits that everybody will drive out of control.
I don't think they way he treats people is nice, respectable, or fair, but NNJR events are always so packed that they really don't have to worry about it.
Good or bad, NNJR must see him as effective, otherwise he wouldn't be in that position.

-Scott
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:29 PM
2000gt3cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbarton
I
Good or bad, NNJR must see him as effective, otherwise he wouldn't be in that position.

-Scott
why in this world would you come to that conclusion... you just read and participated in one of the largest threads ever.. ... my opinion is they just don't care.. it is called arrogance...usually happens when you are succeessful and continues well in to your demise...They are not listening to this forum or their membership... it is all the same comments
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbarton
I think Knute thoroughly enjoys yelling at people and even gets off on it. Or at least that is the appearance he likes to give off.
It's called ***** envy. Small vienna sausage tucked away for this Knute jerk.
Old 11-21-2007 | 09:55 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cobalt
BTW whats and asshat?
Isn't that some variant of Linux?
Old 11-21-2007 | 10:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

The really sad thing is that nothing will change in NNJR because of this thread.
Old 11-22-2007 | 01:00 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
The really sad thing is that nothing will change in NNJR because of this thread.
If nothing changes with respect to how they treat their "clientele"...fee paying event participants...then many such "clients" will find other venues. And that would be a darn shame, 'cause I've gotten to know some really fine and classy people at NNJR.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:07 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default ITS ALIVE

Getting banged for passing without a signal is way different than being berated for missing a ****. Passing the CI without an signal is like argueing with a cop over a stupid *** 30 mph speed zone with NY, (or NJ) plates in some blink if you miss it (backwoods town), after you got popped for doing 47.

1) Z-Man and Cobalt were't defending anyone's personality defects. They like I, objected to the piling on tone.

2) A 930 is not a momentum car. Yeah you gotta stay on boost, but at least you got boost!

3) Right or Wrong, NNJR will always see it as a priviledge to drive at their events. They will never view it as a business relationship. Stay home and you will not be missed because someone else will fill your spot. (At VIR anyways).
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:12 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

Running volunteer organizations is not that easy. Who has the task of correcting this? It's different when you are the manager, and getting paid to.

On the other hand, while being a chief does require someone that is willing to be tough at times, knowing when to pick your spots is a necessary skill. Some people have too many spots, it seems.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:50 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

2) A 930 is not a momentum car. Yeah you gotta stay on boost, but at least you got boost!
Dude, you definitely don't know me - IT WAS A JOKE...
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:53 AM
Alan G.
Pro

True, thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-22-2007 | 03:33 PM
bdf
Advanced

Default Devil's advocate

Clearly, we have a CI who has a reputation for being a hard *** and not exactly quick with passing signals (believe me, i know ) In my opinion, he is CI, it is his "job" to be a hardass if for no other reason then to set a tone for all participants. That tone being yeah, we are here to have fun but this is serious sh#t we are participating in and there is no room for any behavior that is out of the scope of DE. If he sees that behavior, he needs to kill it quick. From my personal experience coming up, I never wanted to do anything that would necessitate a pitside "chat" with Knute.

BKS, I don't know you but I know of you. You have a reputation for being a GREAT guy and an amazing driver. I have heard this from many people who I know well and trust so that's good enough for me. The driving part I have witnessed, ever so briefly, as you blew by me (always with a signal btw!). Maybe I'm wrong (I apologize in advance if I am) but going by your sig you also may not be the most patient driver in DE.

So, we have a hardass CI with a reputation and an accomplished driver with a reputation. Hardass CI encounters said driver on track. Hmm.... I wonder where this might go.

At this event, a Red driver (who is in a different league than most of us) in a relatively early 911, after being held up by an NNJR old timer that had a problem with his elbow in a newer turbo, finally got & took a late pass going into T4. Turbo driver still turned in as normal and squeezed early 911. Early 911 went two off as a result. He comes in on his own to speak with CI. Explains what happened and is told by CI that he should know better and should be setting an example. Early 911 guy AGREES! Accepts responsibilty and moves on. When he was telling me the story, early 911 guy maintains that CI was correct. HE didn't have to take the pass. Never once bitched about the CI.

Again, my opinion, but I would rather be at an event that the powers that be at least make an attempt to keep things under control than one where it is no holds barred. The problem I do have with NNJR, there is at the very least the perception that not all participants, green to CI, are subject to the same rules. I see that as a bigger problem than passing w/o a signal.

I'm going to eat turkey. Flame away!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Brian
Old 11-22-2007 | 05:13 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

No flaming here - I'm a patient person, I just don't like pansies
Old 11-22-2007 | 06:08 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes;

BDF makes some good points. NNJR used to be a region that threw more cars at the fences than there were tires there to catch them. It has been a long hard road for them to try and reign in this "Mr. Bigbucks I don't Really Give a ****" attitude, and get rid of the problem children. They have done a pretty good job of that. In some sense, they still put too many carsinto the grass. I imagine they are still trying to send the signal that it is not OK.

There are always two sides. The right side and the wrong side. Reality is often in the middle somewhere.

Quick Reply: The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...