Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know the more I think about the NASA thing the more I wonder why PCA would allow so many racers to leave the ranks instead of changing their,nationals, attitudes about club racing. I really like PCA Racing and would hate to be "forced" to leave so I could get some recognition for any accomplishments I may have.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Tim, just do both... it's the good racing that counts, no? 1/2 the guys around here don't even stay for the "trophy awards" anyway! Nice to see you posting BTW..
Old 10-18-2007, 10:06 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's too bad we cannot run already prepped PCA cars in both series. I think there's enough demand that more cross promoting will drive up attendance in both series'. Who doesn't want to have access to more nearby races? Or who doesn't want to get the same number of races in but not have to drive/fly long distances to do so? Ideally it would be great for PCA racing to get to a level where it's broken into regions and each region visits their major tracks 2x per year.

The fragmented nature of the series sort of requires the racers to have big-ish dollar budgets. If there were 5-6 PCA races in each region wouldn't more people race PCA?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
It's too bad we cannot run already prepped PCA cars in both series. I think there's enough demand that more cross promoting will drive up attendance in both series'. Who doesn't want to have access to more nearby races? Or who doesn't want to get the same number of races in but not have to drive/fly long distances to do so? Ideally it would be great for PCA racing to get to a level where it's broken into regions and each region visits their major tracks 2x per year.

The fragmented nature of the series sort of requires the racers to have big-ish dollar budgets. If there were 5-6 PCA races in each region wouldn't more people race PCA?
Chris, there isn't a great deal of difference between PCA and NASA requirements, at least for a G / GTS2 car. In fact the only thing (besides a required Dyno sheet) were for me to add a 2nd door bar and a diagonal to my main hoop. As it just made me safer I was happy to make the mods..
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I think my cage also violates their main hoop bend rule. Mine has a kink in it so the hoop can run closer to the headliner = less roof crush.

What cage are you running? Custom or Safety Devices?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Jim, Im looking into that for next year. How has your expierience been with them?

My experience with NASA GTS has been great. Most importantly it gives me an opportunity to do more races at my local tracks. The lbs/hp based classes ensure close, fair racing and the competition has been excellent in my region. Some of the other regions are still trying to achieve critical mass in GTS, but all it will take for that to happen is for a few PCA and/or BMW guys to show up. As you've seen from the other posts a lot of guys are planning on doing just that next year. I also like the opportunity to run for regional points, and run for a national championship. I have to say that the NASA Nationals the past two years have been the coolest events I've ever attended.

That said, I fully intend to continue racing in PCA, as I really enjoy the races I run with them. You can't beat the fields of 25+ F cars that you find at the larger PCA races.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It's too bad we cannot run already prepped PCA cars in both series.
Uhh, yes you can. Lots of guys including me do just that. NASA has a couple of extra safety rules, but that's not a problem for most cars.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think my cage also violates their main hoop bend rule. Mine has a kink in it so the hoop can run closer to the headliner = less roof crush.

What cage are you running? Custom or Safety Devices?
Safety Devices. Thing is you can work with the head guy at NASA Northeast and they will actually work with you in order to get you racing with them.. It's not Black and White.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHanna
\

This is from Mike Wingfield on our local pca forum:

Actually, I enjoyed working on the track records. However, the
EC cancelled the track record project in Sept. after the Road
America race. All of the reasons why the project was cancelled will
appear in my article in issue 4 of the CRN, but here are some of
the most common reasons:

1. Drivers misclassifying their cars, leading to disputes over
particular records by other drivers over the car classification.

2. Co-drivers disputing "who" was in the car when a record was
set and not willing to "share" the credit.

3. Incomplete, inaccurate, or missing historical data from past races - sad by true.

Gee, who would have thought....
Michael
PCA in their infinite wisdom is no long going to keep track of track records WTF!!!! No trophys..... Now no records, Why do they bother to keep time????????????????
Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Cool. Thanks Gary.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:35 PM
dsmith
Racer

I think racers who want to win something should try one of the Pro classes. I mean, if you're gonna spend the money, might as well see how good you are, and make the trophy really mean something. Honestly, a regional club racing trophy for each race?? Who cares? A year end plaque for 1st, 2nd, 3rd would be plenty IMHO.

I figure our reward is that the workers come out and allow us to play with our cars.
David
Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsmith
I think racers who want to win something should try one of the Pro classes. I mean, if you're gonna spend the money, might as well see how good you are, and make the trophy really mean something. Honestly, a regional club racing trophy for each race?? Who cares? A year end plaque for 1st, 2nd, 3rd would be plenty IMHO.

I figure our reward is that the workers come out and allow us to play with our cars.
David
while valid and a great point (and several do), in a pro race you are really competing against full time drivers, for the most part, at least for a podium if even attainable (unless you want to drop an ungodly amount of money and have the pro drive for 99% of the race)... and believe me - THEY ARE GOOD. VERY GOOD - vs a club race is other dudes with day jobs, more of a true comparison of ones motoring skills for most of us imho.

in such races we usually end up holding on the the "door" prizes as if they are trophies, they just dont look as good. and getting a nice trophy made up for a 10th place finish just seems retarded.

lastly, while on the subject, a pro race is still appx 3x the amount of a club race.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

David
Makes sense . . . until I think of my nephew who comes home with a nice trophy from a soccer game. Or my niece who garnered a volleyball trophy from winning a tournament. Neither of these kids are pros and neither of their parents spent 1/16th of the money I have for my car, my car's set up and my growth as a driver.

We don't race for the trophies nor do we live for the trophies; however, it's patently obvious that Tim Costa has ignited a subject that more than a few people have thought about and would like to have changed.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 AM
russ930
Advanced

It's obvious that the vast majorty of racers what recognition for placement and time. What would it take to make PCA serve it's members? Is there any mechanism within the club to force the issue? Some of the powers to be read this forum, how do we pressure them to respect the members that make up the club? Do you think some type of on line petition would pressure them?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I think racers who want to win something should try one of the Pro classes.
I think that the racers who don't want to win something are called DE drivers. Is there seriously a racer out there who doesn't want to win?

I'm not looking for a major trophy. I just feel it's really cheezy to give the winner of a race the same door prize that everybody gets just for showing up. At least give the guy something (anything) that indicates he was able to do more than just show up at registration.

It doesn't even have to be a trophy. How about a certificate saying something like
"First Place in E class at the Summit Point Sprint Race
Overall Time : 43:45.33 seconds
Fastest Lap : 1:35.44"

Obviously, the last couple lines would have to be written in by the timekeeping team.

Quick Reply: WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?