Sponsored by:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
MLIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all about the trophies.

Recently, one of my buddies organized a 40-lap race at a local karting place. At the end of the race, I was pleasantly surprised when the shop gave the top 3 finishers 2' tall trophies (yes, I got the 1st place with the tallest trophy).

I have not done CR, but it really baffles me to hear that the podium finishers don't get much recognition at such expensive and time consuming event.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
If that's the rule, then how does Sebring give out an award (which wasn't given out for participation) but other regions do not? National is at all the races. It's not like they are sneaking it. I'm confused
It was true then Manny. I worked with DD on both events. As to the lack of consistency; PCA national seems to not really enforce any of the national rules, uh, I mean guidelines, with any consistency.

Another poster mentioned profitability of the CR vs DE. That is correct so far as I know; CR is only profitable with significant sponsorship. Whereas most large DE programs are self sustaining. That any region puts on a CR is simply a sign of dedication to the multiple facets of the members interest. Compared to a DE, CR requires extraordinary resources both people and material.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep all my trophies on the mantle, as does my father, so that we have something to look at fondly after being screamed at by other drivers that so and so "is the worst "fu^king driver ever." But in the grand scheme of things, we're there for the love of the marque... right?

Reminded me quick why SCCA is a whole lot more fun. You should see the size of the trophies from the 12 hour this past year. And NASA has trophy girls. But PCA has the egos!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:05 PM
MJHanna
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forklift
Do you know what the reason was? I can understand it for A-D if there is a shakeup. Just curious. It's not like we can't figure out if there was a new record or not.
\

This is from Mike Wingfield on our local pca forum:

Actually, I enjoyed working on the track records. However, the
EC cancelled the track record project in Sept. after the Road
America race. All of the reasons why the project was cancelled will
appear in my article in issue 4 of the CRN, but here are some of
the most common reasons:

1. Drivers misclassifying their cars, leading to disputes over
particular records by other drivers over the car classification.

2. Co-drivers disputing "who" was in the car when a record was
set and not willing to "share" the credit.

3. Incomplete, inaccurate, or missing historical data from past races - sad by true.

Gee, who would have thought....
Michael
Old 10-18-2007, 03:31 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Yup..... And I know Michael worked his butt off to get all that info. So sad......

G.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
If that's the rule, then how does Sebring give out an award (which wasn't given out for participation) but other regions do not? National is at all the races. It's not like they are sneaking it. I'm confused
Manny-

Aren't you in a position to find out / change this if it is in fact "National Policy"?

It can't be about $ as we're talking about less than $100 per class and the budget for these race weekends has to be 60K or better.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

u r a bigger man than i mr brown.. i like the reminder of the 25k, 12k etc - i give away my denim shirts as i dont think anyone under 50 should be caught dead in one and when i look at my checkbook sometimes my memory blends together

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Come on guys, you really feel the need for a trophy?

Anyone racing in PCA has already "won."

I have my PCA collection on a shelf in my closet. I don't keep it out because of the hell I get for my $25,000 glass peaches and $12,000 tumblers.

The way I see it, I know how I placed, my competitors know how I placed, my family knows how I placed, I don't care about a trophy.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJR911
I keep all my trophies on the mantle, as does my father, so that we have something to look at fondly after being screamed at by other drivers that so and so "is the worst "fu^king driver ever." But in the grand scheme of things, we're there for the love of the marque... right?

Reminded me quick why SCCA is a whole lot more fun. You should see the size of the trophies from the 12 hour this past year. And NASA has trophy girls. But PCA has the egos!
that brings another thought to mind... i was recently in jeff courtney's office in wisconsin and could not believe the trophies he got for winning panoz races, impressive and cool decor, i mean this things must have cost a pretty penny - i dont have anything that i even would set out for others to see, they are all in my boys rooms as they like them. it would be cool to have something to set out that's impressive.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

I would like to know who in their right mind would pick a denim shirt? Someone needs to call the Fashion POLICE!! I think a tasteful sweatshirt like the one they gave last year at Mosport is the way to go. At least they can be used all year long. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
As a one time podium finisher, Sebring 2007, I truely appreciated the nice momento the organizers gave us, it was the same piece for each of the top 3 places but had an add on item that you attached to you plauge that said 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, good way to keep the costs down.
I think the Sebring trophies are perfect. Nothing big or ostentatious, just a nice memento of a great weekend and a job well done. For those that haven't seen the Sebring trophies, look at the one in the center of the picture in post #33. NASA Ohio/Indiana gives out smaller versions of the same style as the Sebring trophies and those are great too.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Qk944turbo
I would like to know who in their right mind would pick a denim shirt?
The guys at Watkins Glen AND the guys at Daytona, that who.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHanna
\

the most common reasons:

3. Incomplete, inaccurate, or missing historical data from past races - sad by true.

Michael
At one point I had wrote something that shredded all of the PCA club racing results pages and put them into a database that was accessible through the web. It was pretty trivial to get qualifying and race records for each class.

Unfortunately, the hard drive that had the info crashed on me. If there's enough interest, I could probably recreate it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The guys at Watkins Glen AND the guys at Daytona, that who.
I have twice caught my wife trying to Goodwill my Watkins Glen denim shirt. One of these days she's bound to get it past me.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have managed to accumulate a fair number of trophies and flags. I highly value them as most represent a story. In SCCA, trophies differ from event to event. Some are cups or plaques or racing oriented trophies. Displays have variety and you better remember the story for the event. SCCA also gives a checkered flag to the winner - trophies for 1-3 and down to 8 with large fields.

The flags are very special. They make a great display and you can write event notes in the white. The first time my grandson helped my at the track with a win, I wrote him a note about being the greatest crew chief, signed the flag and gave it to him.

If you guys succeed in getting PCA to do trophies, maybe some of my comments will help make those more valuable and appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHanna
\

the most common reasons:

Michael
That sucks!!!!!!!!!!
All of those reasons are "bogus". I guess I am not missing that much by not PCA racing any more.

Quick Reply: WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?