Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big trophy or no trophy will have zero impact upon how competitive the racing is.

The biggest factor in making PCA racing fun is us. If a$$hattery is shunned and fellowship and good sportsmanship is encouraged, then everything else will work itself out. Most groups tend to sort themselves out over time anyway.

So, I am all for trophies even though it may be years before I see one personally. I may have to imitiate my friend Jase Scott and get a 356 with a cool paint job so that I will at least be in the running for the workers choice award. I can't let him get that every year!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

If that's the rule, then how does Sebring give out an award (which wasn't given out for participation) but other regions do not? National is at all the races. It's not like they are sneaking it. I'm confused
Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
PCA does not want to make the series overly competitive by having people spend all kinds of money and take all kinds of chances to win $50 trophies.
Yep, they wouldn't want people to start upgrading their street cars and start screwing with their headliners and rugs! We know all stock car classes drive to/from the race too..
Old 10-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Nord Stern gave a "memento trophy" to all who raced at BIR this last year. If you won, there was room to put a small engraved plate on it (your job to do).

They have also given out a high quality poster (or set of posters) for the last 5 years. These are now becoming collecter items and are seen in many garages of racers. I have 4 of them framed and in my garage from the races I have been in.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm glad there aren't any trophies. If there were, I wouldn't be able to control myself. I'd be playing bumper cars in the corners, punting people right and left and generally terrorizing all those around me. I simply lack the self control required when $20 trophies are at stake. I mean really, what's a car that you've invested $75,000 in worth compared to a $20 trophy?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:30 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$20 trophies? Man, you guys are asking a lot - in SCCA, they run over you for a $5 ashtray <G>.

Alan
Old 10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Not left up to the Region's, at least not when I ran 2 club races for Potomac 3 years ago. Money was not an issue, as the races were profitable and much was spent on "gifts" .

National controlled all prizes. A trophy could be given out, but only for particpation, all drivers getting exactly the same trophy. Nationals prohibited anything that would be awarded for finishing position. And other prizes could only be raffled off or some other type of system whereby all participants had a chance to win, could not be awarded for finishing position. So to get around the PCA rules of recognizing drivers for finishing positions, I hired some trophies girls, and took pictures of the podium finishers with the girls. My tenure was short lived after that move.

While I can understand PCA's mindset on trophies, we decided trophies were a fun thing, not evil. When we put together the 944 Cup series,we found drivers appreciated trophies, but did not base their approach to racing differently because of trophies. Rather the 13/13 was more influential on driver conduct. If a driver wants to win a trophy, they need to race clean anyway, cause u cant win if you're DQed.

So if you want a recognition trophy from a PCA event, try Concours. Won't cost u much -- yeah right. That's what I finally did.
Very interesting.

We have all seen the friendly DE reminder, "this is not racing."

I don't see how we are that far off from noting on PCA Club Race Applications, "Remember, Club Racing is not racing..."

Everyone is a winner. Yay!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Goodwill turned me away last time I showed up with a box of PCA racing shirts. They told me the homeless guys in our town won't even wear them anymore as people laugh and point at them.

Get some decent trophies and skip the shirts.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by James-man
Very interesting.

We have all seen the friendly DE reminder, "this is not racing."

I don't see how we are that far off from noting on PCA Club Race Applications, "Remember, Club Racing is not racing..."

Everyone is a winner. Yay!

The first picture shows the trophy I made myself after I won my last DE. It impresses my colleagues at work.

The second picture is what I used as a model for the 5' tall trophy I made myself after dominating my first the club raceas the only entrant in my class. It is truly impressive.

But, I do think that the podium placers should receive something like the first trophy, albeit with a Porsche theme.
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I won that DE.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by forklift
I thought I won that DE.
I also made myself a trophy for beating you and Mark Lee during the last race the last time we went karting. again, without mentioning to anyone that you and Mark Lee won all of the other races
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
I just found out that they stopped tracking track records after Daytona. That's another disappointment.
George

Do you know what the reason was? I can understand it for A-D if there is a shakeup. Just curious. It's not like we can't figure out if there was a new record or not.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I also made myself a trophy for beating you and Mark Lee during the last race the last time we went karting. again, without mentioning to anyone that you and Mark Lee won all of the other races
Nice! We should get trophy girls for our next karting night.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
James-man
Race Car

TD - your rookie win wasn't just about dumb luck in the thin attendance within your class. Your extremely powerful drover skills intimidated others and kept them from registering. I don't care if you won by intimidation or by luck (such as when the 12 other cars in your class spin in the last turn). A win is worthy of a token that grows egos faster than droving skills. You earned it man!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah, I scared Cris Brady and Rob away from registering . . . and they have been scared every since then!

Quick Reply: WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?