Sponsored by:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

I guess it all started last year........ after taking 1st in class at the Summit Point CR I recieved a congradulations and thanks for coming, this from one of the "richest" regions in PCA. Then this year at Road Atlanta all of us that finished on the podium were given (until they ran out) a 3inx3in wooden plaque to rest our complimetary glass peach on, the same peach that all enterants recieved in their goodie bag. at Putnam Park I took 1st overall and was given an unframed "diploma". This one I can almost let slide since its a very small event. Then we come back to Summit Point again this year and although I wasnt fortunate enough to be on the podium those who were recieved another unframed "diploma". Then I hear from a good friend that those of you that did well at Daytona were rewarded with a hat.
When does it stop!!
I personally feel like those of us that spend the time, not to mention large amounts of money, to attend these events really should be rewarded with something more then a $2 piece of paper or a $10 hat. I would even be willing to throw in a couple of extra $s for something I wouldnt be embarased to take home.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mosport had etched mugs for the Sprint Race and although not delivered yet, is sending out framed pictures of the driver on track for Enduro podiums.

I think the Glen has something decent but too many guys finished the race for me to know what those trophies look like.

I agree, it would be nice to get something decent but there are probably as many folks that like a nice award as there are folks who don't really care.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA does not want to make the series overly competitive by having people spend all kinds of money and take all kinds of chances to win $50 trophies.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

I kinda agree, a trophy would be nice. the mugs are neat and all, but it would be nice to get some trophies...I much rather have the awards than the mugs and hats.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
PCA does not want to make the series overly competitive by having people spend all kinds of money and take all kinds of chances to win $50 trophies.
Yeah, they feel the same way in F1, too.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
James-man
Race Car

If trophies are not awarded, it must not be a REAL competition.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:30 PM
mji911
Instructor

I think that most of the people running PCA would not mind paying add'l $ to get a trophy that means something.
Larry, I believe that PCA club racing is very competitive and the guys are going to run hard to win. For the time ,effort, commitment and the sacrifice of time from family and work, I would have to agree with Tim
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Actually, Tim, unless I got shrimped, the winners/podiummers (sp?) at Summit didn't receive a thing. They gave out awards for Worker's Choice and maybe something else but that's about it. I would have been mildly excited with a diploma but, alas, I did not receive my sheepskin. BTW, diplomas take up valuable wall space. You can fit twice as many trophies in a given wall space . . . unless the diplomas are 3"x5" in size . . .

I've already responded to Potomac's CR people after they sent out an email soliciting feedback from their very well run race. We spend so much money for this silly sport, it sure would be wonderful to have something truly tangible to put in the office and remember twenty years from now. I would like more than a shirt or piece of paper. Dammit, I want a $5 trophy!!! Seriously, although the Chinese (I can say that without being called a racist) LED flashlight was a nice gift for all of the entrants, perhaps that money could be better spent towards trophies for the top two or three in class. All of the entrants received a shirt, anyway.

I wonder if it's an issue of engraving logistics or something else? Whatever the reason, I think there are a few people who would like trophies. Hell, I received bigger and better trophies from my high school track and field and soccer accomplishments.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 10-17-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

If that's really true, Larry, then why do they give trophies out at other races? << Rhetorical question
Old 10-17-2007, 10:38 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I'd rather see everyone get something nice. Let's put the money into upgrading the take home gifts. Embroidered fleece vests were one of the better parting gifts I've seen. It's great to get something useful. I think the race organizers would be upset to see how many embroidered long sleeve denim shirts are at the bottom of people's drawers.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Then this year at Road Atlanta all of us that finished on the podium were given (until they ran out) a 3inx3in wooden plaque to rest our complimetary glass peach on

Price Cobb won and received his "trophy" but I jazzed it up by adding a small rubber chicken. ANYONE would have been proud to get that!!!!

I have a pic!

Last edited by Chris Prack; 12-30-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
I'd rather see everyone get something nice. Let's put the money into upgrading the take home gifts. Embroidered fleece vests were one of the better parting gifts I've seen. It's great to get something useful. I think the race organizers would be upset to see how many embroidered long sleeve denim shirts are at the bottom of people's drawers.
*Cough* Goodwill *Cough*
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The trophies at Watkins Glen were great this year. At Road America, another big race, they handed you the same glass (no indication of finish) that you got if you did the concours.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mji911
Larry, I believe that PCA club racing is very competitive and the guys are going to run hard to win.
Mitch, I was quoting the absurd stance that PCA takes. PCA racing is ultra comptitive in the larger classes, and many are spending big money to race. PCA is out of touch, once again.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mitch, I was quoting the absurd stance that PCA takes. PCA racing is ultra comptitive in the larger classes, and many are spending big money to race. PCA is out of touch, once again.
Is this written somewhere? Just curious. When I was Zone Rep and we did the VIR Club Race a few years back, there wasn't anything written, that I remember, dictating that there wouldn't be trophies or that the trophies would be pieces of paper or six foot tall bowling leaque models, either. In fact, the national folks were more interested in the volunteers, equipment, schedule, etc.

Quick Reply: WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?