Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM
dboyle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to chime in with a semi-unrelated post but thought I should anyway...

Up until earlier this week I was a happy Progressive Direct customer. Never filed a claim (9 years!) or anything and they had a very nice 'no timed event' clause in the policy. Which is fine, that (imho) didn't explicitly omit DE stuff.

However with this years policy there is a very specific 'no event on a race track, perm or temporary' clause in the contract. Which covers any DE as well as any autocross.

So just a heads up for anyone who like me thought progressive might be a bit more friendly. They aren't. I switched over to a company that has farm in its name No mention in there that I could find DE specific.

-Dave
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

State Farm changed its PA form of policy in fall 2006 to exclude DE.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:58 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

any suggestions in California?

I'm about to start attending some DE....
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in California and have State Farm. I've discussed DEs with my agent on a number of occasions and he's assured me that I'm covered, provided that it's non-competitive and not timed. However, I'm also well aware that nothing he says is binding on the company.

I've read my policy and all riders, amendments etc and have not found anything that I interpret as excluding DEs, so at this point I believe I'm covered. Don't really want to test it tho.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From old threads here on Rennlist, it looks like each vendor will have differing rules per state. All I know is that Allstate here in Utah has called it out by name beginning in January 2006. I tried to get my hands on policies from State Farm, Progressive, Geico, and others a few months back, but EVERY agent refused to send me the policy without signing up. When I mentioned the question of DE exclusions, they all said the same thing - if on a track, we won't cover you. To add insult to injury, one agent read me the contract but would not send it to me (State Farm). From the text that she read, DEs are okay. I told her of this, and she then placed a call to corporate and let me know that they said DEs are not okay. Now I am back to square one...

I like the idea mentioned earlier of getting coverage will all of the vendors and then cancelling after reading the policies. This might be the proper though undesirable route at this time.

Still frustrated... Keep the info coming guys...

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 12-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

You might find the UT insurance commissioner helpful in obtaining copies of policies approved for sale in UT. I've not tried something like that, but I think the policies have to be filed.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good idea Chris. It is worth a try....

-B
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am working on putting together a group rate for our Mid-ohio PCA chapter. this group is working with us, although we have not put anything down firm yet. see
Deborah Fry
Account Executive
deb@fkainsurance.com
www.fkainsurance.com

I am also trying to get an Ohio Insurance company to consider competitive rate program but so far no takers. I will keep you posted. What we need to do is get National PCA to do a group rate with a carrier. But I can tell you if they do or don't we are going to take a run at it in Ohio. My research tells me (in Ohio) that many, not all, ins co's are slowly working toward excluding so it something we have to get a hold of.
This is the address for Laurel http://www.laurelde.com/index.html

If anyone has any additional info on ins programs can you PM me with DE insurance in the subject. thanks.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Has anyone heard of Prosure. They list on their website a HPDE product at 3% of stated value. Sorry, I just noticed that Chris Maume has been mentioned. This website refers to him, and it seems to be active.

www.prosure.net

Last edited by KOAN; 12-28-2007 at 10:13 PM. Reason: re-read one of the earlier posts
Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Has anyone heard of Prosure. They list on their website a HPDE product at 3% of stated value. Sorry, I just noticed that Chris Maume has been mentioned. This website refers to him, and it seems to be active.

www.prosure.net
No but i will contact them and any others and post a report in about 30 days or less.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Prosure is dead and Chris has moved on. This was posted a while back - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/386975-chris-maume.html

I believe Chris went to a co called Gainsco but I haven't heard anything about it since. Sure would like to know if there is someone credible writing policies for DE tho. Maybe Seth Thomas has an update.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Prosure looks very interesting, I sent them a Email to see if they cover in my state.

Edit: Quick update, the Prosure information Email link came back, here is the message:

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
info@prosure.net
mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-28-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

If anyone wants the package that was presented to our PCA chapter by Wsi insurance send me a pm with your e mail and I will send you the package they sent me.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the Gainsco press release from 10/23/07.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
10-23-07_GMI-Release.pdf (95.8 KB, 757 views)
Old 12-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very interesting; from the press release above:

Most recently, Mr. Maume was President of ProSure Motorsports Protection
(“ProSure”). ProSure sold the same type of motorsports-related products that Mr. Maume
will market through GMI.

Quick Reply: Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???