Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008 | 05:57 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I asked my Chubb representative if a DE was covered and I was told that if it was an instructional event without racing, I was covered.
Obviously, based on the above, with a 40K car, you will be paying $3700.00 (premium plus deductible) before seeing a dime. On top of that, you would end up in a battle to determine value.
Ron
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:00 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Ron, I had State Farm for more than a year because DE was not excluded. In PA State Farm added that exclusion as of 2007, so I went with Snelling-Walters. For my peace of mind it was worth it to have coverage for a catastrophic incident. I don't know of any street policy in PA that does not exclude DE from coverage. I'm glad your situation is better!
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:41 PM
TX996
Advanced

Default DE Insurance

I called my State Farm agent in Dallas, Tx. today and asked him this question.

He said that my policy would cover Education events,fun runs, etc... even if on the track. If my event was timed, scored, had places or was any type of race of competition my coverage is invalid immediately.

He then called an underwriter to ask him the same question and he said the same thing. He is calling claims to ask them to make sure and also is getting me a copy of my policy.

I have been with my agent for 16 years and he is a serious car lover also so I am hoping he is right. My brother used to work in insurance and he says that he believes the state in Texas mandates the policy and the insurance companies have to accept that. A company cannot re-write it, they can either provide or not. I am not 100% sure that is correct to the letter but the policy should answer the question for sure. Each state might be different but this for sure has me concerned. I do not want to be making a payment for 5 years on something I cannot drive or use.

For what it is worth... check into it, I am for sure....I will let you know what I find out if anyone is interested.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:35 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

In the event of a crash you risk your daily car ins. plus homes and other toys. Think about it.
Old 01-02-2008 | 11:42 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I just got the agreement from Dan Thompson. It is indeed the WSIB form, verbatim. It's not at all a bad deal.

I also called Southern Insurance Underwriters, the company that bound my Great Lakes Reinsurance policy that I bought through Chris Maume last spring. As most of you know, that program was shut down, but I learned today that it has been reopened effective now. The contact is at Snellings-Walters:

Lori J Creed
Commercial Account Manager
Snellings-Walters Insurance Agency
1117 Perimeter Center West
Suite W101
Atlanta, Georgia 30338
(770) 508-3033 Direct Line

I don't know yet what the Snellings-Walters policy premium structure will be, but with WSIB and Snellings-Walters and maybe Chris Maume at Gainsco in the picture it seems DE will have coverage for 2008!

BTW, the WSIB policy is a very short one adapted (largely but not well) from a British model. The Snellings-Walters policy (at least the one used last year) is a typical US auto policy form that has been limited to on-track DE property coverage. Neither is a work of lawyerly art, but they both probably get the job done.
I am looking into the same policy for our Mid Ohio pca. I am also doing a survey of the various packages out there and will report to the group when I get it done in the next 30 days. Regarding the WSIB policy, so far it is the best deal in terms of the deductible however it is not a primary policy but a pro-rata policy meaning that If you are trying to take your personal auto policy out of the loop, and by DE coverage that pays first dollar this policy will only pay its share after your own auto carrier pays its pro-rata share. Now if you do not have an auto policy that pays no problem. I am trying to save my auto insurance and buy a DE specific policy. Laurel DE Management Inc. policy is first dollar coverage but the deductible is 15% of the covered risk. in my case with a 997 GT3 that is a 15,000 plus deductible. I am working on it and will share my findings. By the way in Ohio I got tons of time before I can get my rig out.
Old 01-03-2008 | 10:55 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
In the event of a crash you risk your daily car ins. plus homes and other toys. Think about it.
The same could be said about track ins too to some extent. Track ins only covers your car. Street ins can cover far more than just your car. Mine street ins does not exclude DE (yet) and covers medical for me and those that I might hurt. With track only you are relying on someone elses waver that might or might not be solid or even signed by the guy going after you in court. The ins is in your control at least.

Rock solid driving record. Same policy # since 1978. home ins, credit card and a big lump of movable money in the money investment branch with the same co. $211.50 per year for full coverage. Not planning to claim any small track hits. I'll risk getting dropped if/after I have a major ball up on track.

As we all know very driver, car and ins needs has to looked at and risks calulated one on one.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:03 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Laurel DE Management Inc. policy is first dollar coverage but the deductible is 15% of the covered risk.
Do a search on Rennlist about Laurel DE. Last I looked, it was based in Canada, not licensed to sell insurance in any US state, had enforcement action taken against it in GA for selling without a license, covers only a limited number of DEs and has an underwriter based in Australia that has no AM Best rating (so does it exist?), BUT some Rennlisters have made a claim that was paid. I could not go with Laurel.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Gary,

Was your policy 'Agreed Value' or 'Stated Value'? Was your claim the result of an on track event?

Newer cars have a 'Book' value that an adjuster will use to determine payout. I my case I have an old car that has value way beyond any book an adjuster will be looking at. I need an 'Agreed Value' policy.
Agreed value and yes, at a DE. The one I have from WSIB is the same deal and transferrable I just found out. I'm taking it off the 930 and putting it on the SC soon..
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I didn't read the whole thread but wanted to add my recent experience with Snellings Walters. I had a 997 GT-3 which I bought track insurance for an agreed value of the sticker price. I totalled the car during a DE. They paid. It took a bit of footwork and be prepared to prove you were driving and it was a sanctioned event at a track but in the end, they paid and I am happy.
Old 01-03-2008 | 12:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by TX996
I called my State Farm agent in Dallas, Tx. ... My brother used to work in insurance and he says that he believes the state in Texas mandates the policy and the insurance companies have to accept that. A company cannot re-write it, they can either provide or not. ....
Actually, this changed in Texas about a year ago. Its true that was the case previously that all exclusions had to be uniform across all insurance companies selling car insurance in Texas and any change to those exclusions had to come from the state board. But, I guess some insurance lobbyists got that changed. Now, each insurance company in Texas can write their own set of exclusions. They only have to send the state board a copy for their approval. Hence, one by one, many insurance companies selling in Texas are adding the exclusion for any track event (mine included).
Originally Posted by TX996
For what it is worth... check into it, I am for sure....I will let you know what I find out if anyone is interested.
Please let us know what you find out. If your insurance company doesn't exclude DE's, I'd be interested in switching to them.
Old 01-03-2008 | 02:14 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I didn't read the whole thread but wanted to add my recent experience with Snellings Walters. I had a 997 GT-3 which I bought track insurance for an agreed value of the sticker price. I totalled the car during a DE. They paid. It took a bit of footwork and be prepared to prove you were driving and it was a sanctioned event at a track but in the end, they paid and I am happy.
Thanks for the info...
Old 01-03-2008 | 03:03 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

My Ins. Co., Allstate, covered my car in a DE crash. No problem.
Old 01-03-2008 | 10:39 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
Can you give me details of your coverage, a contract or an agent who sells it so I can get a good summary of what is being offered. On auto carriers I am going to do a survey in Ohio as to who is paying and who is excluding but it is a state by state thing.
Old 01-03-2008 | 10:43 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Do a search on Rennlist about Laurel DE. Last I looked, it was based in Canada, not licensed to sell insurance in any US state, had enforcement action taken against it in GA for selling without a license, covers only a limited number of DEs and has an underwriter based in Australia that has no AM Best rating (so does it exist?), BUT some Rennlisters have made a claim that was paid. I could not go with Laurel.
Good point, so far I think all the carriers are off shore. I am trying to get an Ohio ins co to step in. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/jumper.gif
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:01 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Off shore is ok, if it's a real insurance company with an AM Best rating. As far as I can tell, there is no real underwriter behind Laurel DE.

Quick Reply: Is Anyone Writing DE Insurance ???