Sponsored by:

Anyone here use left foot braking????

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,437 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
All great points and I understand for barber.

About RA though, for turn 2 would be under the assumption that you take 1 in 3rd gear and stay in third through 4?

What do you think about turn 5? Too risky w/ oversteer there? I dont down shift there. And 7 as well, since you already downshifted for 6.

Depends on the car IMHO. In the GT3 I drove there, as well as the full-race M3 I drove there, I took T1 in 4th gear. It is MUCH faster (at least before the repave; I have not been there since) than most folks realize. I brake & do a quick downshift from 5th to 4th, then floor it thru 2. So I am carrying a lot of speed when I brake & downshift to 3rd as you say for T3....but I do a short shift up to 4th gear before T4/esses to stabilize the car & use more WOT. Anyway, I use a dab of LFB in T2 just to help bring the car back to set up for T3 if I need the slight extra rotation.

For T5, I did a quick brake & downshift to 3rd then used all the track beyond the curb. I understand this may no longer be the fast way, though, after the repave. Nevertheless, I used to use 3rd to get a really hard launch over the crest, then up to 4th, then back down to 3rd for T6, then down to 2nd for T7, again to get that really hard launch out of there. It's all about exit speed!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 09-29-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I think that overbraking while learning lfb is pretty common. I can lfb very smoothly but I too tend to overbrake, I think mostly because I am switching from driving subconsciously to focusing on braking.
TD, this is true. When someone asks you what turns you like to LFB in and your not completely sure, then it has become part of your subconscious car control.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I recently drove my front wheel drive minivan through a heavy snowstorm. My tires were low on tread, (I bought new ones before the return in the snow). I used left foot braking many times to straighten out the van on the highway. It was really fun. I was able to be smooth with the LFB as I've been practicing it a lot in the minivan on the street.
OK, that's with a front wheel drive. My 996 has been in the shop all winter, so my only LFB practice has been in the minivan.
This weekend I may be driving in RAIN on the track. If so, I'll use tires with decent tread. Lets say I've come into a corner to fast, am I correct that if I stay evenly on the gas, and briefly LFB, I'll have a better chance of making the turn? (Briefly LFB since I have a 996 and I don't want the gas to cut out).
If I GENTLY ease up on the gas after starting to LFB, will I have an even better chance of making the turn without a spin?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I started a new thread "Rain track driving", after my last post above. I thought I could erase the post and keep the new thread. Must not be so. Sorry for any trouble caused by my mistake.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
I recently drove my front wheel drive minivan through a heavy snowstorm. My tires were low on tread, (I bought new ones before the return in the snow). I used left foot braking many times to straighten out the van on the highway. It was really fun. I was able to be smooth with the LFB as I've been practicing it a lot in the minivan on the street.
OK, that's with a front wheel drive. My 996 has been in the shop all winter, so my only LFB practice has been in the minivan.
This weekend I may be driving in RAIN on the track. If so, I'll use tires with decent tread. Lets say I've come into a corner to fast, am I correct that if I stay evenly on the gas, and briefly LFB, I'll have a better chance of making the turn? (Briefly LFB since I have a 996 and I don't want the gas to cut out).
If I GENTLY ease up on the gas after starting to LFB, will I have an even better chance of making the turn without a spin?
Too fast in a corner: I assume you mean you are already in a corner and turning?
If yes, I'd say no, because:
If you're in a corner where you are going too fast and are having a risk to run wide, easing off on the throttle is better way to slightly slow down as that tends to make car rotate. Of course applying brake it usually shift weight to the front (which makes car rotate better) but with gas on, not so much.

LFB in snow: even though you used to to straighten the car, with front wheel drive car is usually used to make the car turn. You do it by staying on gas and applying brakes makes the car turn because te rear wheels are stopping while fronts are not (because you're on gas).
This is why you see rally cars acclerating on a corner while brake lights are on.
Driving on front wheel drive car in snow is actualllly a lot of fun, you can be 90 degrees sideways and still straightn the car which with rear wheel drive car would be impossible.

Quick Reply: Anyone here use left foot braking????