Sponsored by:

Harness With Stock Seats in 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Harness With Stock Seats in 997S

OK...I know a roll bar or harness bar and full 6pt belts with HANS and a total race car is better for DE's but I can not do that...so here is my question.

What harness from either Schroth or Sparco can be used in my stock 997S with stock power seats?

I want something easier to use than my CG-Lock and reclining the seat back and tugging on the shoulder belt and then moving the seat back up so the shoulder belt is tight on me.

It seems like to me a 4pt harness from Sparco or Schroth will hod in place in the seat better in the turns. I looked at both the Sparco and Schroth website and nothing is listed to fit a Porsche 2005-2008 Carrera. I am confused how these harnesses actually attach to the car.

thanks! Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
What harness from either Schroth or Sparco can be used in my stock 997S with stock power seats?
Mike
Mike - with stock seats I would say none are very good. Found this reference on a Chicago PCA site (http://www.pca-chicago.org/?getpage=91) - "If a harness is added to stock seat, harness must be 6-point and use either 'H' Shoulder Straps or Harness Bar with loops to keep the harness well secured to the sides of the stock seat back."

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-03-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:18 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 168 Posts

As of 2008, PCA National DE policy is that you can NOT use racing harnesses with a stock seat. Four point harnesses are not to be used, period. Some regions may still allow you to if they are not using National's insurance policy.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCA minimum standards for DE requires the use of " a seat which as the supplied routing holes for the shoulder and anti-submarine belts" if 5 or 6 point harness are used. "four point systems are not safe and therefor not allowed".
Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

While a 4-6 pt harness will hold you in place laterally during turns in a stock seat somewhat better it doesn't do a very good job. You'll still slide around a lot. The belts are there to hold you back against the seat.

What keeps people from moving laterally in seats is the seat itself. The high bolsters are the key to keeping you from sliding around. Leather seats don't help as much either since they don't have as much friction as a cloth seat.

Not sure if it's an option for you can run a 3 pt stock belt with some 'race shells' and you can swap a seat out for the weekends you are at the track. It takes a while to do it the first couple of times but after a while you can get seat swaps down to 20-30 minutes.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:32 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

OK...I know a roll bar or harness bar and full 6pt belts with HANS and a total race car is better for DE's but I can not do that...so here is my question.

I want something easier to use than my CG-Lock and reclining the seat back and tugging on the shoulder belt and then moving the seat back up so the shoulder belt is tight on me.

It seems like to me a 4pt harness from Sparco or Schroth will hod in place in the seat better in the turns. I looked at both the Sparco and Schroth website and nothing is listed to fit a Porsche 2005-2008 Carrera. I am confused how these harnesses actually attach to the car.

thanks! Mike
If you are not upgrading seats, you should get a CG-Lock. As mentioned you CANNOT use harnesses unless your seats have pass-throughs.

-td
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Bad idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

[QUOTE=himself;5170442]If you are not upgrading seats, you should get a CG-Lock. As mentioned you CANNOT use harnesses unless your seats have pass-throughs.

-td[/QUOTE

I already use a CG-Lock....again as I put int my post...I am just looking to keep my car stock as i use it on the street all the time. I just am looking for find something better than the CG-Lock and using the shoulder belt to hold me in place a little better.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Mike you have mail
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I already use a CG-Lock....again as I put int my post...I am just looking to keep my car stock as i use it on the street all the time. I just am looking for find something better than the CG-Lock and using the shoulder belt to hold me in place a little better.
As mentioned, without upgrading from stock, you won't get much better than a CG-lock with a piece of drawer liner behind you. And you simply CAN'T use harnesses with stock seats. This pretty much answers your first question, i.e., it can't be done.

If you move from stock, you're next encounter will be the rollbar/roll cage/harness bar debate. Beside, IMO, if you intend to log serious track time, you should consider proper safety equipment including seats, harnesses and HANS. The intermediate step - which is always a topic here - is to hot swap your seats and use only a harness bar (both can be removed with just a little work). Keep in mind that you MUST have equal restraints - which means 2 seats and 2 harnesses. The hot swap seats/harness bar is probably the "cheapest" next move.

-td
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

These are very popular in the autox groups....

I use it in students cars w/ 3 pt belts and stock seats.... not a recommendation, but its just what I use...

I assume the buckle will break on a hard impact... (before my ribs) -YMMV.

(torso harness)

http://www.racerwholesale.com/produc...98d7d11d1a95eb

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 04-10-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 PM
DanR
Drifting

I know I am going to get blaster for this as it is probably a really stupid idea...........but........... yould you wear a 4 point bely to try and hold him in as well as a 3 point for safety? 3 pt belt confines to regs and 4 pt 'may' offer some more lateral support?

May be answering my own stupid answer but may mean more issues for comfort or getting out quick in an accident.

I shall await the blast
Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks for the replys everyone...again I asked this question because I could not see how these 4pt belts with stock seats would actually work in my 997S.

I will just have fun at me DE's with my stock car and my CG-Lock. Or unless some GT3 seats come up very cheap or a race seat that actually fits my large frame.

I sat in a bucn of race seats at Wine Country Motorsports in Jupiter FL 3 weeks ago just to check them out. I am a big guy...not fat but big and part of my hip is the carbon fiber socket for my prosthetic leg. None of these seats fit width wise for me.

see ya, Mike
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

DanR, two systems does not equal a good system. There are numerous threads on this forum with good info regarding harnesses.
Mike, If you can find one of the race seats that is constructed with a tubular frame, they can be widened with the use of a simple bottle jack between the bolsters.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Dan I happen to agree with you. PCA consulted two safety experts. One felt that wearing the OEM 3 point belt over a 4 point harness on stock seats was OK, the other wasn't. PCA took the safe way out. Consider 996 GT3 (Euro) seat(s) for your car. Comfortable and Suncoastwas selling them for 2600 the pair.

Quick Reply: Harness With Stock Seats in 997S