Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks Sean will do......
Old 09-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Much faster and smoother transition from brake to throttle. Try it at a reduced pace this Monday in West Bend at LRP... as long as you don't have anything orange in your mirrors.

You're braking in West bend?
Old 09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I will be Monday!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 AM
ekeeton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes and yes. I lfb unconsciously now, been doing it so long. On fwd it's almost a necessity.

I remember seeing a really old racecar setup with the accelerator pedal in the middle. The idea was to switch feet on the gas so you could brake with the right foot while keeping up the throttle. Supposedly was an easier heel/toe also. Personally I think it's a pretty dumb idea which is probably why nobody adopted it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
And is it helpful. I would imagine so if you had a turbo car with tons of lag, but other than that, is it worth learning?
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes. And yes.
+1
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I am a big advocate of left foot braking. Very useful skill if you are skilled with your left foot and understand when and how to use it.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LFB is easy. Real men third leg brake, and they can do it smoothly, slowly, and for extended periods of time.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
LFB is easy. Real men third leg brake, and they can do it smoothly, slowly, and for extended periods of time.
Bitch, PLEASE. That is so amateur.

I shift with the third leg.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Bitch, PLEASE. That is so amateur.

I shift with the third leg.

Maybe that explains why your shifts are so "money"
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I never "short shift"....but you should really see my "blips" on the downshift!!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:56 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

yikes. getting deep in here.

i am learning to LFB more and more.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:21 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LFBing is quite useful. If all you have to do is slow down (not downshift) for a corner, it allows you to maintain balance and stay smooth. I do it every corner @ LRP except for Big Bend of course. I find that right only A) takes too long and B) is too abrupt gas/brake/gas - on/off/on it just upsets the car too much. There are many factors involved I'm sure, not the least of which is how comfortable the driver is and how easily they can shift (mentally and physically) to the different pressure required. Your left foot is used to stomping the clutch to the floor which is what most people do when they use it on the brake. I have so much time in my car, it's just natural. Plus the non-assisted brakes on the early cars are much more forgiving than SC and carrera etc..... It's worth learning.

As for auto-xing, I use LFB much less because I actually use the on/off/on to turn the car. Most turns in an AX are sharp and involve a shift anyhow. But that's just me.

I think most people will learn when it's appropriate in their own time.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM
StuartFirm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried it a couple of times and need way more practice. I'm apparently not coordinated enough to avoid "overbraking" when using my left foot. My left foot acts like it is trained for clutch operations and has not received the memo that the brake pedal should not be treated like a clutch. It isn't a race to floor for the brake pedal, as that seems to cause stability problems.

I'll continue to practice LFB until I get the hang of smooth LFB. I agree that it isn't fair to "knock" the practice until you have mastered it and decided for yourself, which is the better technique for your drivnig style. I would assume we all try new things on the track from time to time and incorporate the new things as we find they improve our times or our comfort level.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by StuartFirm
I've tried it a couple of times and need way more practice. I'm apparently not coordinated enough to avoid "overbraking" when using my left foot. My left foot acts like it is trained for clutch operations and has not received the memo that the brake pedal should not be treated like a clutch. It isn't a race to floor for the brake pedal, as that seems to cause stability problems.
I'll continue to practice LFB until I get the hang of smooth LFB. I agree that it isn't fair to "knock" the practice until you have mastered it and decided for yourself, which is the better technique for your drivnig style. I would assume we all try new things on the track from time to time and incorporate the new things as we find they improve our times or our comfort level.
I think that overbraking while learning lfb is pretty common. I can lfb very smoothly but I too tend to overbrake, I think mostly because I am switching from driving subconsciously to focusing on braking.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

IMO....

Barber: 1, 7 (the right kink just before the "corkscrew"), 11, 15 if necessary

Road Atlanta (pre-repave): 2 if necessary, esses if necessary
All great points and I understand for barber.

About RA though, for turn 2 would be under the assumption that you take 1 in 3rd gear and stay in third through 4?

What do you think about turn 5? Too risky w/ oversteer there? I dont down shift there. And 7 as well, since you already downshifted for 6.

Okay here is a good question......

When LFB, do you hit the gas before letting off the brakes? And if so, when do you start hitting the gas ( I know this applies to turbo cars moreso), or if the brake zone is short enough, do you apply soft throttle application at the same time as hitting the brake?

Quick Reply: Anyone here use left foot braking????