Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing incident or someone at fault? List opinon

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

What happens in a pro race is totally irrelevant...this ain't pro racing. I think you are at fault as you did not give the S2000 room on the outisde. He had a right to exist so long as he gave you room too (which he did). You just got on the gas too hard and drifted wide. Seems pretty clear to me.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I think all would agree that there is a certain path a car will take based on their entrance speeds at turn in. you know the capability of mine, and certainly based on that knowledge, you know there is only a car width or so of margin for error to the outside, sometimes less. and yes, i was banking on those 2 more inches that you thought you would be blacked flagged for taking on the rubble strips. Thats ok, ive already said it, i probably had an easier ability to back out and not make the contact, and ive already told you, thats what i should have done.

However, it is interesting if you see any of the pro races, and there are a lot of hp vs handling battles (porsche vs mustang, etc). take notice of the outcomes of nose to nose battles at the entrance of the turn (at turn in ) and see what happens. I think you will see that more than half the time, the outside car that opens the door, backs out. You maybe better than that, and like i complemented you on, you can toss that S2000 around well.
Good to race with you, and look forward to the next battles

Mk

Originally Posted by krazik
My car is what? 6ft wide. Thill is (http://www.thunderhill.com/html/trackmap.html) 36 feet wide. So if I had 2 inches to my outside before I hit the tires that means I was using 6.17' and you had 32.83' (aka 91.1%) of the pavement on your side, how can you actually assume that I should have tried to find more space?! And you remember you were on the gas when you hit me too So you really we're giviing be room to race.

Thats the whole point. You seem to think that if your nose a head of a competitor, that you own the rest of the corner. Thats just not true atleast at scca. I'm not going to just give up and let you by because you nose me a bit at the start of the braking. My car has better brakes too boot. Get in front by the brake zone or even the apex and thats totally different, its your corner and I'll tuck behind and try to get you back. But I'm never going to give you the corner because you're along side of me. I'll give you as much room as I can w/o hitting anything else and I expect the same from you. Otherwise it is 13/13 where you don't race in the middle of the corner. Or you know I'm way faster than you in the corners, if I catch you mid corner you should let me by too

-Ry
Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I think when i post my video (if i ever get it back from SCCA) you will see a slightly different perspective, especially in regards to getting on the gas and drifting wide. Most of that was determined by the turn in speed. Ive done the outside move a hundred times. and doing it, it forces you to almost do what is analogous to fomation flying. i go as wide as i need to even if it means going off track (and I bank that the inside car can give me room based on our turn entrance speeds.) if it is a heated battle and someone dive bomb me and really pushes me in the braking area, there are times i know that i cant pull off the outside move due to their pre-determined path. thats when i back out.
Clean racing is not as cut and dry as some would make it out to be. Its all about risk mitigation and making high percentage moves. some moves look risky from TV but as the driver, they can be done with ease and confidence. others are just the opposite.

I know this is not pro racing. it was a low percentage move to try and race the lighter car to an even more dangerous corner , turn #15, side by side, regardless of if we touched. I think i agree with the officials that it was a racing incident, but as i told Rylan, i was in the best position to back out before contact, and if put in the same situation again, I will do that.

Thanks for the comments.

Mk

Originally Posted by 38D
What happens in a pro race is totally irrelevant...this ain't pro racing. I think you are at fault as you did not give the S2000 room on the outisde. He had a right to exist so long as he gave you room too (which he did). You just got on the gas too hard and drifted wide. Seems pretty clear to me.

Quick Reply: racing incident or someone at fault? List opinon