Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:33 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Alonso will be starting to look elsewhere already for next season as he will not want to be number two to Hamilton and I cant see him ever having number one status at Mclaren now.

I feel for him as he joined the team expecting to have a nice steady team mate covering his back & supporting him for the championship. Instead he's presented with the next Senna, which seems to be rattling him big time!!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos really have to be given to Ron Dennis for covering all the bases. Not only is he the first to get big non-tobacco sponsorship in Vodafone, but he winds up with the current champion and the best rookie to hit the scene in 13 years. If the cars maintain their reliability, McLaren with take both championships this year, and will be a continuing force through the end of the decade.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dugsud
...Instead he's presented with the next Senna, which seems to be rattling him big time!!
WHOOOOAA!!! Let's not get ****ing ahead of ourselves here!
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LOL,
Finn, I'm just glad he is not the next Schumacher, this one races his teammates
Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
WHOOOOAA!!! Let's not get ****ing ahead of ourselves here!
Ok Ok.....I got a bit carried away but I've never been so excited about F1 since the Prost/Senna/Mansell era!!

He (Hamilton) seems to have put a bit more drama into F1......and it's not just because he's a brit!! I really feel the start of something very special here and the last time I felt it was when I was a kid & a rookie appeared at Lotus and amazed everyone!!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Nice visual Finn, that's a good one
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I think Alonso will be starting to look elsewhere already for next season as he will not want to be number two to Hamilton and I cant see him ever having number one status at Mclaren now.

I feel for him as he joined the team expecting to have a nice steady team mate covering his back & supporting him for the championship. Instead he's presented with the next Senna, which seems to be rattling him big time!!
If McLaren is lucky Alonso will go walkabouts real soon now. A real smart move might be to grab another kid from GP2, we know the Ron can bring on young drivers. How many of the older drivers would bring anything to the equation?

R+C
Old 06-13-2007, 05:43 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Have you watched Hamilton driving?

He moves the car around more than anybody else - that isn't boring. He reminds me of a cowboy on a cutting horse, bouncing the horse between his knees.

R+C
I realize he is a great driver, I was trying to convey the point that watching him, he seems to make driving look so easy, it is almost mechanical.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Originally Posted by mitch236
I realize he is a great driver, I was trying to convey the point that watching him, he seems to make driving look so easy, it is almost mechanical.
That's the case with all the greats.....Prost, Stewart etc...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL,
Finn, I'm just glad he is not the next Schumacher, this one races his teammates

Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
If McLaren is lucky Alonso will go walkabouts real soon now. A real smart move might be to grab another kid from GP2, we know the Ron can bring on young drivers. How many of the older drivers would bring anything to the equation?

R+C
Perhaps...

But, (and this is big) we don't know really who contributed the most to the development of the car. Perhaps Hamilton is a good drover, but not as good a development drover? Don't forget, he came late to the team as well as Alonso. If Hamilton is as good at car development he will be great. If he is not, he will shine, but is unlikely to be great.

I'm not saying I have ANY idea which is a better development drover, but that is a HUGE piece of the equation and over time can and will make a difference in the championship.

So, to answer your last question, it depends upon how good Hamilton is at development. A veteran drover may bring a huge piece of the equation.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
Perhaps...

But, (and this is big) we don't know really who contributed the most to the development of the car. Perhaps Hamilton is a good drover, but not as good a development drover? Don't forget, he came late to the team as well as Alonso. If Hamilton is as good at car development he will be great. If he is not, he will shine, but is unlikely to be great.

I'm not saying I have ANY idea which is a better development drover, but that is a HUGE piece of the equation and over time can and will make a difference in the championship.

So, to answer your last question, it depends upon how good Hamilton is at development. A veteran drover may bring a huge piece of the equation.
Yes, Lewis is the next great . But less not forget it is Alonso's Lead who he is follow, Alonso is the teams Pace setter and has helped both Mclaren and Lewis in this respect . The same as Prost getting better after being Pr with Lauda or Senna Being Pr with Prost .. Remember Mansel was always rated , but produced nothing until he was teamed with 2 WC piquet .. Historically talented youths have always produced after being Pr with WC, current case Massa , who is driving much better now than when he was Heidfields teammate .... The FLip side Kimi , who never had the opporturnity to be Pr with A top leading driver to Learn from ...

Ron would be crazy to let Alonso go , he would then have to compete against him, They are better served for now with him at the big MAC , if not he would end up at Ferrari , causing them a bit of concern , Hmmm Alonso and Massa ....VS Lewis and ?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
dugsud
Instructor

Coultard??
Old 06-13-2007, 07:26 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Coultard??

Not after being handed his walking papers by Webber , for a prime seat like that , the choices are fewer than you would think ....
Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
That's the case with all the greats.....Prost, Stewart etc...
Have to disagree with you guys, not all greats are clean & boring to watch...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors