Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I must have gone by you guys pretty fast then......
Rick, thanks for everything......
Hey Dr. Pain, are we going to see ANY video THIS year???????
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
What video????
Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Alright you got me then...Ferrari.

You seem like a nice guy and I'm sure you will do well. Good luck this year learning and finding speed.
Thank you....

Originally Posted by Bull
Most definetly, after you all teach me how to drive AND where to focus the video camera......
Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What video????
Just get me in would you please?.....
Old 03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Hey, what's a/the "redline"?
It's a brand of oil.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I'm curious about this as well. Seems like this topic comes back again every so often.

Larry, was it that the tires were masking a technique issue or the technique needed to change for the tires? The reason I ask is that I ran street tires (Yoko ES100's) for the first half of last year and I switched to RA1's because I was really sliding going into just about every turn and they were screaming. I made some changes to my driving style based on feedback from instructors but when I changed to the RA1's, I was able to make some different adjustments that the tires allowed. Just curious which is the cart and which is the horse.
To answer your question, it was the tires masking a technique issue.

This topic keeps coming back because there are too many drivers out there who either do not understand, or do not believe this: Sticky tires will mask all sorts of evils, from driving flaws to suspension inadequacies because of the extreme grip that they produce. Here is a really simple way to explain the difference between a street tire and an R tire. Both tires, by definition, will produce a grip total of 10 (10/10ths, get it?). Naturally, the limit of the street tire is lower, because it has less grip. However, in approching that limit, the street tire will build gradually and sneak up to it, whereas an R tire will be more abrupt, and a slick even more so.

As you lean on a street tire, and sideloads increase, you reach the limit like this 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 8.75, 9 ,9.25, 9.4, 9.6, 9.7, 9.8, 9.9, 10 and then you are sliding. When you are sliding, the grip still remains high. With an R tire the limit builds like this 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 ,8 ,9, 9.5, 10 (damn, I wish I was on my PC & could graph this). When you are sliding, you lose grip just as fast. You can see how the tire reaches the limit much faster, and so requires much greater driver precision. Many lesser experienced drivers who could safely explore the 8-9/10s regions of their street tires will trundle around on Rs at 5-7/10ths, until they go just a little too quickly and spin. Confident that they have "found the limit" they then back it down into their 5-7/10ths comfort zone and are slow. It is having the skill to control that "little bit" that allows the top drivers to exploit the performance of these sticker but harder to drive tires.

They will also allow you to drive a line that is fundmentally flawed, like Mike found out, but still go fairly quickly because of all of the grip. Mike had no problems staying on the edge of the tire, but it masked his incorrect line. When he went back street tires, he literally plowed out of the turns due to the reduced grip. It became obvious that he had to take a later apex, get on the power, unwind the wheel and keep the front tires at their limit, but not over it.

I hope that my examples have made my thoughts on this clearer.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
To answer your question, it was the tires masking a technique issue.

This topic keeps coming back because there are too many drivers out there who either do not understand, or do not believe this: Sticky tires will mask all sorts of evils, from driving flaws to suspension inadequacies because of the extreme grip that they produce. Here is a really simple way to explain the difference between a street tire and an R tire. Both tires, by definition, will produce a grip total of 10 (10/10ths, get it?). Naturally, the limit of the street tire is lower, because it has less grip. However, in approching that limit, the street tire will build gradually and sneak up to it, whereas an R tire will be more abrupt, and a slick even more so.

As you lean on a street tire, and sideloads increase, you reach the limit like this 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 8.75, 9 ,9.25, 9.4, 9.6, 9.7, 9.8, 9.9, 10 and then you are sliding. When you are sliding, the grip still remains high. With an R tire the limit builds like this 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 ,8 ,9, 9.5, 10 (damn, I wish I was on my PC & could graph this). When you are sliding, you lose grip just as fast. You can see how the tire reaches the limit much faster, and so requires much greater driver precision. Many lesser experienced drivers who could safely explore the 8-9/10s regions of their street tires will trundle around on Rs at 5-7/10ths, until the go just a little too quickly and spin. Confident that they have "found the limit" they then back it down into their 5-7/10ths comfort zone and are slow. It is having the skill to control that "little bit" that allows the top drivers to exploit the performance of these sticker but harder to drive tires.

They will also allow you to drive a line that is fundmentally flawed, like Mike found out, but still go fairly quickly because of all of the grip. Mike had no problems staying on the edge of the tire, but it masked his incorrect line. When he went back street tires, he literally plowed out of the turns due to the reduced grip. It became obvious that he had to take a later apex, get on the power, unwind the wheel and keep the front tires at their limit, but not over it.

I hope that my examples have made my thoughts on this clearer.
Larry,

correct me if I am wrong, but I think another way to explain the phenomena you discuss is simply to say that street tires are much more communicative, and they communicate at a speed that many drivers find easier to reach.

Rather than using numbers to illustrate your point, couldn't you say that a street tire starts talking more readily as you reach the tire's limit:
hey,
HEY,
LISTEN,
WHAT ARE YOU NUTS,
I AM GONNA LET GO IF YOU DON'T BACK OFF NOW (which the tire might start saying at, oh, 60 mph in a corner).

By contrast, an R-compound tire can be more like a passive aggressive significant other:
Silence,
silence,
silence,
silence,
Hey ********,
OH MAN YOU'VE GONE AND DONE IT NOW (which the tire might start saying at, oh 80 mph in a corner).

If the driver never reaches the limit, the R-compound tire has said nothing to the driver to let him or her know how ham-fisted they are being.

Or, if the driver isn't subtle or attentive, the driver will just sail right past the last minute warning and the driver will wonder what just happened.

Once you get used to the R-compunds, I "think" you could detect ham fisted driving just like you can with street tires. However, it is much, much easier to do so with street tires since they are so eager to let you know what they think, right?

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Once you get used to the R-compunds, I "think" you could detect ham fisted driving just like you can with street tires. However, it is much, much easier to do so with street tires since they are so eager to let you know what they think, right?
Just thinking out loud here.
I'm with you TD. My "coach" started me off on Hoosiers in a purpose built car(after a bit of Green in my 997S on MPS2's) and I spent 40+ days progressing using them. I was certainly not the fastest in any group until I spent the time getting faster, learning the car, MY limits, and the track. I find the Hoosiers VERY communicative in my semi-light, underpowered SC and the only times I am surprised it is actually not a surprise at all.. I KNOW I did something wrong well before an "event" (I'm extremely fast though LRP Big Bend.. or not). If I had it to do over maybe I would be better for the experience of street rubber but the reality is I seem to hold my own fairly well and the myriad of instructors I have had the pleasure of riding with haven't hammered me too hard yet. That could be coming though!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

With respect to Hoosiers, the hardest thing to get used to was finding the limits during braking. You could lock up the tires without making any noise. The first few times I remember thinking to myself "why does it feel like I just accelerated a little"?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
With respect to Hoosiers, the hardest thing to get used to was finding the limits during braking. You could lock up the tires without making any noise. The first few times I remember thinking to myself "why does it feel like I just accelerated a little"?
Or.. "sheesh, didn't see that patch of ice!" But it's usually combined with.. "wow thats a lot of blue smoke back there!"
Old 03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Todd, you're explanation mirrors what I am saying in a different style. I really could have used a few of your graphs. Maybe tomorrow when I get back into the office, if there is any interest.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Crazy Canuck, I will be spending a lot of time on the Canadian tracks, any possibility you can hook me up with the instructor in your avatar....
My instructor was not that nice looking. I can't think of really anyone that is. You may have met the guy I started with ... Polar Silver 993 with a GT2 wing ... NH plates ... with Tikka on them ...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the explanation Larry.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Todd, you're explanation mirrors what I am saying in a different style. I really could have used a few of your graphs. Maybe tomorrow when I get back into the office, if there is any interest.
Great, there goes the Boston video production schedule!!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

How's this? I think this is what you are trying to chart. (the chart is unscientific and not to scale yadda yadda). My point about tire noise is that most drivers perceive what the chart reflects in terms of audible tire feedback . . .
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Lets Play 'What Makes the Ideal Track Car'