Sponsored by:

"Sorry, Only Porsches alowed .."

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 11:10 PM
onasled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sorry, Only Porsches alowed .."

After seeing this thread, "Photos of CVR @ Lime Rock August 26th & 27th " it reminded me of how disappointing it was not to be able to attend it.
Being my 'ol P-car is not as track ready as my Mini (fact is that I would not want to track it at all), my Mini is my only track car at this time. Unfortunately many PCA chapters do not permit anything but Porsches at their DE events.
Not sure why this is as the BMWCCA is very open to anyone to participate and even join.

How do you all feel about this ?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:16 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

We have had a similar "discussion" about this in my region regarding autocross. We allow non-Porsches to our autocrosses and it has become a rampant infection. To some degree, and yes I will sound like a snob for this, it is the Porsche club and therefore nice to keep to Porsches only. My home region, as well as most of the surrounding regions, have no issue selling out their DEs to Porsches only for most events. Until there is a problem with attendance, I would ask they keep it that way. (Note, my region - largest in PCA - does allow non-Porsches from time to time at non-sellout events which are typically our long distance events).

To some degree Porsches-only allows the tech teams to remain familliar with the hardware coming through inspection and also gives the instructor corps a set of cars they can learn to fully understand (not that I believe instructing is different between cars but some instructors do).

I've run with non-PCA groups that are, of course, multi-marque. These can/are terrific events.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Personally, I only want Porsches in my PCA/CVR run group.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:36 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

My home region allows any marque, but I can understand why some regions want Porsche only. Track driving has become so popular that it can really be tough to find a spot and thus it makes sense for PCA clubs to favor Porsches. Nothing like the fun of beating another make though. I especially like beating Vipers and the riced out "tuner specials" that show up to some events.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:02 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

There are plenty of other orgs that run track days where I can go with my viper friends, however, the pca events as a whole tend to be better. I prefer running with porsche only, unless it's not sold out(rare in metrony pca).
Old 08-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

The regions around here seem to welcome all comers.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In our area it isn't a "welcome/not welcome" issue. It is simple...if the PORSCHE CLUB event is filled (or often over subscribed) by Porsche club members, why would a responsible adult let a non-member in to block a dues paying member?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree with all of the above posts. For Bull, though - please note that onasled mentioned that he has a pcar in his original post. That may provide another wrinkle - PCA members, even members of the hosting chapter, who also have non-pcars that they'd like to track.
I'm all for the concept of of getting PCA members in first, and even the home region. The non-pcar thing is just one more level - consider a member who has a last minute issue with the Porsche and would like to run a BMW just so he can drive that weekend. If the region allows non-porsches, the guy is golden; if not, he's out the entire registration fee, due to short/no notice.
Even still - I like to go to Porsche-only events. I used to live in Boston and it seemed to be the norm. Attending an event with non-pcars was a novelty which was nice to experience once in awhile. In the South, every DE is open to all makes. I really miss the solo marque thing - Although I do get a dose of that in Club Racing.
I guess I especially miss the Zone 1 DE at the Glen. 200 Porsches from beat-up 914's to 962's and everything in-between. What a blast!
Old 08-28-2005, 02:09 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

At our region's DE there are a lot of non p cars in attendance, for some reason the events often have a hard time filling. If they didn't open up the registration they couldn't afford to have the event. I think it takes away from the experience a little, but there is no choice. Unfortunately, we have only a few garage spaces available on a first come first serve basis ...supposedly. It always irks me when I see non p cars in garages at events where many p cars were turned away from garages. I suppose some are "reserved" for instructors and other regulars. But that's a whole other topic.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
onasled
Instructor

Thanks for the replies all.
A couple of things. I AM a PCA member and have done a few events with the Mini with a chapter that permits other types of cars. Even with this venue I was one of only three non-P-cars to show up. One other Mini and a BMW.

Some say that they like that fact that it's only Porsches allowed. Just wondering why?

If one is a member of PCA, then why can't they bring their other car to an event? Don't they pay the same dues as PCA members that bring their P-car?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally,it gets a little tiring just driving around with 996's, Boxsters and GT-3's and I'd love to have BMW M3's and tracked-out Mini's on track. But in the end, it is the Porsche Club, and if your regions events get completely booked with Porsches, then allowing other types of cars will mean some Porsche owner can't get on track with the local Porsche club because a non-Porsche took a place.

I suspect that if the BMW club could fill an event with BMW's, they wouldn't allow anyone else either.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:23 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to track with other cars look into the scca they do mixed groups right?? i personally wouldnt care, but i guess i could see why some people would i mena its a porsche club.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:45 PM
onasled
Instructor

I do quite a few track days with SCDA. This is one of the better groups I run with, but a bit pricier. The mix of cars is always so much more fun then just Porsches or BMWs that you tend to get with PCA and BMWCCA. I've been on the track with Spec Fords, Spec Miatas, Lolas, Ferraris, GT2 cars, and a bunch more all in a single session.
I don't think BMWCCA will ever limit their events to BMWs only, as you don't even have to own a BMW to join.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could see PCA members getting first preference. But I don't see why members should be excluded just because they want to bring something besides their Porsche. That just doesn't seem right.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It really depends on the region. When I lived in Pittsburgh, that region would allow any car in their DEs, because they couldn't fill the schools if they didn't. In the Northeast, there are more Porsche drivers interested in track driving so here they don't allow non-Porsches.

Quick Reply: "Sorry, Only Porsches alowed .."