"Sorry, Only Porsches alowed .."

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are other factors;

For instance, there was a lawsuit pending for many years against a driver of a Mitsubishi whose brakes failed and t-boned a Porsche. EVERYONE was named in the suit, of course, from drivers to clubs to the venue to the manufacturers. The suit was thrown out in the end, I believe, but it took YEARS. You can bet that inadequate equipment and design was part of the complaint.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other, but nobody needs that kind of hassle. If you want mondo track opportunity for a good price, you better drive a Porsche. Simple as that!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onasled
After seeing this thread, "Photos of CVR @ Lime Rock August 26th & 27th " it reminded me of how disappointing it was not to be able to attend it.
Being my 'ol P-car is not as track ready as my Mini (fact is that I would not want to track it at all), my Mini is my only track car at this time. Unfortunately many PCA chapters do not permit anything but Porsches at their DE events.
Not sure why this is as the BMWCCA is very open to anyone to participate and even join.

How do you all feel about this ?

Ironicly, the local Chicago BMW club won't allow 911s at their events... at least that used to be the case.. not sure if it still is..

..and the local Porsche club in chicago has this 'no 4 door rule' (not sure if they still do)...

Personally, I like the groups that welcome everyone as long as the car is track worthy... I wouldn't want to see someone's Dodge Grand Caravan out there with me on the track as an example.. LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 07:55 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW: We run with all sorts of groups (like audi club, Mini Club, VW club, BMW, etc.) and are glad they all accept us with our 993s. BMW Chicago has this silly rule that everyone who tracks with them must have an extra set of brand new front and rear pads to pass tech inspection... which is just overkill IMHO but it's their rule... so we have plenty of other venue's to run with...

I got a kick out of the Mini group we ran with because they teamed up with the local Cobra club.. It's pretty darn amusing to see a bunch of mini's with 3 cobra's mixed in... ...talk about a mismatch.. LOL
Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you don't like your region's policies on Driver Ed, get involved in the management of the events (i.e. volunteer to help) and then you can help make the rules...

Better yet, if you don't like the region you are a member of, change your membership to another region. Our region is filled with transfers from other regions.

Lord knows that you get to vote with your wallet and your feet.

gb
Old 08-28-2005, 08:04 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944Ecology
If you don't like your region's policies on Driver Ed, get involved in the management of the events (i.e. volunteer to help) and then you can help make the rules...

Better yet, if you don't like the region you are a member of, change your membership to another region. Our region is filled with transfers from other regions.

Lord knows that you get to vote with your wallet and your feet.

gb
yes, indeed! ...which is why we are Milwaukee region members instead of Chicago region members... so much less politics and more 'grass roots' attitude in the Milwaukee region

..sometimes we'll still show up for a Chicago event (average 1 a year), but it's the Milwauke region we help out and volunteer for...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regions Vary

Different regions run their events differently. It usually depends on demand. Hudson Valley, and Shattenbaum usually allow other makes. (Insert shameless plug) They also have less rules, crowds and often combine run groups to add additional 1/2 run sessions.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 PM
onasled
Instructor

Yes, Hudson is who I run with...

I do plan on building up a 914 for track days soon. I'm lucky enough to have someone a couple of towns over that specializes in these cars and is quite succesful on the track.
As a kid I had both a 914/4 and a 914/6. What a friggin idiot I am ...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsches only at our PCA events but the local BMW CLub runs more events in the summer so I go to both. It is fun in a p-car only group but it is also fun to run with M3's, Lambo's, and the occasional Subaru Wagon.

Marc
Old 08-28-2005, 10:24 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
Different regions run their events differently. It usually depends on demand. Hudson Valley, and Shattenbaum usually allow other makes. (Insert shameless plug) They also have less rules, crowds and often combine run groups to add additional 1/2 run sessions.
NER allows any make, model etc, if your are a PCA member. If your a Boston BMWCCA you're welcome as well as we have a reciprocal agreement with them. Our sister region to the north, NCR does not allow other marques, however, they do allow instructors to drive whatever they wish, presumably in an effort to ensure an adequate supply of instructors.

Personally, as long as the turnout is primarily Porsches, I don't really mind as long as the system doen't wind up being abused. The advent of EBay makes it extraordinarily easy for anyone to join PCA. Nevermind that they might not actually own a car, worse some may actually have somewhat of a dislike for them. I'm happy to have non-Porsches at the track, piloted by people that at least have some measure of respect and interest in our cars and our club. I do worry however, that with the rising popularity of DE, we may find that we wind up testing this policy somewhat.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think in each group there are 'haters' and true enthusiasts. We've managed to become friends with other true 'track junkies' regardless of the fact that they don't own a Porsche ....including a few Corvette and Japanese brand owners.. there isn't always that 'us and them' mentality and that's a great thing!! ...and my feeling is that as long as they are fellow enthusiasts and practice safe track driving, why not share the day with them regardless of if they are Porsche club members? (not all regions require porsche club membership to participate in DE events).

BTW: After seeing what the 'vette can do in a track situation both at local DEs and at Lemans, I have a new respect for that one particular GM vehicle (....I just don't think I can bring myself to ever own one out of personal principles but I do have a genuine respect for their capability in a track setting!)
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
onasled
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceboyd
.....I got a kick out of the Mini group we ran with because they teamed up with the local Cobra club.. It's pretty darn amusing to see a bunch of mini's with 3 cobra's mixed in... ...talk about a mismatch.. LOL
....why, did the Minis eat up the cobras? ..
Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM
dreeves
4th Gear

I can understand why porsche clubs give first priority to people with porsches -- after all, it is the porsche club, and it's good to give members first crack at events.

I've instructed at a couple CVR PCA events this summer, and it's been a great experience. The events are excellent, and everyone is very friendly.

I have a harder time understanding why certain chapters have hard and fast Porsche-only rules, though; it seems to be more to preserve a certain aesthetic than just being pragmatic about registration.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:14 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by onasled
....why, did the Minis eat up the cobras? ..

LOL... one of the Cobra's was being passed by a lot of mini's ...but the other one was running circles around them... LOL ..either way, it was an interesting venue to be part of.... ...lucky me got to instruct one of the Cobra owners....
Old 08-29-2005, 12:39 AM
bruinbro
Pro

As an aside, what makes a P-car a P-car in the eyes of the various PCA regions for DE? I know what it is for racing and time trialing, but what about DE?

Bruinbro
Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bruinbro
As an aside, what makes a P-car a P-car in the eyes of the various PCA regions for DE? I know what it is for racing and time trialing, but what about DE?

Bruinbro

..some regions allow Cayenne's on the track while others do not...

Otherwise I'm not sure what you are asking...

Obviously a Porsche with a Porsche VIN (including 914 and 914-6) is a P-car

Quick Reply: "Sorry, Only Porsches alowed .."