Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,687 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Nobody has said "this rule makes no sense" because nobody who knows anything about sleep apnea thinks the rule makes no sense. It isn't recommended that people who need CPAP drive a car in normal traffic without CPAP. It's bewildering that you think it's fine to race without CPAP as a general rule. Given your race history, I honestly believe you personally are fine racing without CPAP, but that is not the norm. People who need CPAP should be using it. There is nothing, at all wrong with the rule, and it is by far the safest option. They could go without asking about it, like some other racing organizations, but they've chosen to require it.When a group of experts agree, and the guy who is not an expert disagrees, a lot of times the guy who is not an expert is wrong. You've said the PCA doctor said you could fall asleep, and then "changed his story" that you could be impaired even if you didn't fall asleep. He didn't change his story, as you know, there is always a range of impacts from any medical condition. It's ridiculous that you don't recognized that people can be severely impaired without falling asleep. Before I was diagnosed with OSA and started using CPAP, I fell asleep during intense white water rafting, and I was "out of it" long before I fell asleep. Adrenaline does not beat sustained oxygen deprivation in most people with OSA. Adrenalin from racing might help a bit (versus driving a car in traffic), but the heat and physical exertion of racing do not help. You are fortunate that you can race safely without CPAP, that is not the norm. The rules are written to cover all the people who participate in racing -- not an outlier like you -- that's why they have chosen to keep and enforce the rule. They even recognized that you are an outlier and allowed you to race without CPAP data, but somehow that wasn't good enough.

If you want to have a private fight with individuals within the PCA, that's fine, but you are going scorched earth on the PCA as a whole to try to reduce membership and participation, which has a negative impact on all of the PCA members that enjoy so many aspects of the club and don't want to see that diminished.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
CT_Peter (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,417 Likes on 1,937 Posts

I'm OK with reading contrary views but I have peterp blocked (the only person on RL) because it is all just sanctimonious pontificating drivel.

If you don't quote him I won't see it.
Old Today, 01:05 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,830 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
When a group of experts agree, and the guy who is not an expert disagrees, a lot of times the guy who is not an expert is wrong.
This is often true, not always, but often.

Every racing organization in North America except PCA stand together on this topic. PCA stands alone.

Medical doctors all over the continent sign off on this, including ones doing it for PCA racing's license like OP's doctor. PCA's medical board seems to stand alone.

We don't even know the makeup of PCA's Medical board. They could be non-practicing doctors, chiropractors, or hold a doctor of letters honorary degree. But we do know the doctor that signed off is a practicing doctor and according to OP he has a doctor specializing in sleep apnea so it's hard to go against the known experts with a unknown handful of people we don't know the background of.

So with that said, PCA standing alone is seeming to be less like Galileo standing alone against the church and more like a flat earther standing alone against NASA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
DKP 97 C2 Coupe (Today), NightBlueTTS (Today)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license